PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mountainman

Can't Leave
May 4, 2012
Hey guys. I happened to be in the area of my local pipe shop this evening and of course had to drop in. Which means I bought a pipe. :lol:

This is my first meer. I went cheap and bought something I could learn on. I am not really sure about proper protocol when smoking a meer, but WOW am I impressed with the smoking quality. I already broke her in with some BlackHouse and it was very enjoyable. Hooked? Maybe. :). Any tips appreciated and here she is!

1855ffb3.jpg

crk69

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 30, 2012
I dont build up a cake in mine, and I also dont touch the meer for the first few bowls. The wax will melt and sink in which will eventually draw the coloring out. Dont tap it out like a briar, and you can smoke it several times a day with a rest period in between. I also dont smoke it outside during colder weather just in case it would crack. These are my humble observations, as I make no claim to be a seasoned meer smoker. I find that the wetter your tobacco, the faster it starts to color. Supposedly you can also remove fingerprints from the outside with alcohol, I have never tried this myself as I was worried that it would mess up the wax coating. Also I allow the bowl to cool completely before placing it back in its protective case, so it wont hold the heat in. Congrats on the new pipe, it looks nice.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
Just don't handle the bowl while it's hot and clean it with only soft pipe cleaners. Wipe it off with a soft cotton cloth after each smoke and always keep it in its case. Other than that, just smoke away and let it rest as you would with any pipe. Nothing smokes quite like a meer!

mountainman

Can't Leave
May 4, 2012
Baron; you say don't handle the bowl. What is a good reccomendation for handling the pipe? By the stem? Or with the cloth used for wiping? I already got frisky with her tonight. :oops:
Seriously, handling by the stem seems awkward. And something about not touching the pipe while smoking seems, I don't know, unfulfilling..what are the ramifications of handling the bowl? Just curious. It was a cheap pipe. $50ish. I appreciate the info and let me know when you want me to try some Miskatonic! I'm right up 35 from ya! :wink:
Josh

crk69

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 30, 2012
If you will allow, I'll give you my two cents... Handeling the bowl can transfer oils from your hand which will darken unevenly and reveal fingerprints around the pipe.. I usually handle it by the stem until it starts to show an even coloration along the shank and bottom of the bowl, and then cup it in my palm, resting the bottom of the bowl in my hand. I have heard of some smoking the pipe with a white cotton glove, but to me that just seems akward and silly.. If you aren't worried about the odd coloration and fingerprints showing up, I would just smoke it like you would a briar..

barkar

Lifer
Apr 17, 2012
Cool...after staring at it a while I finally realized what it looks like to me...a golf club...a driver that the head is twisted open...its a slice maker.

Status
Not open for further replies.