PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

meerqueen

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 9, 2012
Hi,
We have added new 5 gourd pipes in our stock.You know finding gourd is like finding a gold nowadays :)

Please check new models here :
http://www.meerschaumstore.com/original_sherlock_holmes_calabash_pipe.asp
Thank you

B.B

rockymtnsmoker

Can't Leave
May 31, 2013
Nice pipes Meer. Couple of questions. First, why is gourd like gold? Also, picked this pipe up as part of an estate lot and replaced the busted amber stem. Couldn't figure out what the exterior was. Wondering now if it's gourd. Can you venture an opinion based on the pics? Would be most appreciative.
2CRP8oc.jpg

EfPMFpP.jpg

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
Those are some very nice calabash pipes, meerqueen. Just out of principle, I could never plunk down $200+ for a pipe. Now, if someone I know wanted to as a gift ...

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
@rockymtnsmoker -
Nice find. Your pipe is missing the cap plate, which was likely sterling siver, or silverplate. I don't see evidence of nail holes near the outside of the rim, so the cap was probably held on using a gasket. You may be able to have a replacement cap made or get one off of another calabash.
It appears to have been barely smoked.
That is a gourd, BTW.

meerqueen

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 9, 2012
Hi rockymtnsmoker

Yes it is gourd. However you will need a replacement meerschaum bowl (cup).we are the only producer of those cups.

Finding new calabash gourd is very difficult because there are just a few people left who is growing those gourds.mostly those gourds are coming from Africa but they can not meet the demand.that's why gourd prices are around 200-250 US$
Regards,

B.B

rockymtnsmoker

Can't Leave
May 31, 2013
Thanks guys.
MeerQueen, wondering if someone farming in the Southern US could be tempted to try and grow the requisite gourd as a side venture?
Sable, I did a clean up on the pipe as it was quite gunked up. Going to search online for a pic with a Meer sporting such a cap plate. The rim of the pipe was black with tar before I cleaned her up, so if there was a cap it was long gone.
Thanks again for the feedback.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Hi rockymtnsmoker,

Check out the thread "Show Off Your Barlings Here" on the Pipe Talk forum to see an example of a calabash with a sterling cap or cover. I'm assuming that what I'm seeing on your calabash is the meerschaum bowl surrounded by the gourd. If it's not the meerschaum bowl but something else, then you need to get a meerschaum cup which includes the bowl and cap as one piece. There are two basic types of gourd calabash construction.

rockymtnsmoker

Can't Leave
May 31, 2013
Soooo... if I have this right, the gourd has a Meer liner, which it looks like the previous owner of my pipe was using as the tobacco chamber, but there could be another Meerschum piece that fits inside this with the characteristic overhanging edge of a calabash-style pipe that is the real bowl/tobacco chamber....? If so, wonder how this missing piece stays attached. Epoxy or something?
Sable, just got down to the end of the Barlings thread and see what you mean by the silver cap. Going to measure up my Meer and see if the cup and bowl thing is also an option. Likely an easier fix than custom silver work, as there do appear to be some pre-made options per the link kindly supplied above.

jarit

Can't Leave
Jul 2, 2013
@ rockymtnsmoker :
Dunno if this helps but here's what my Strambach and its insides look like:
001.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

meerqueen

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 9, 2012
@Rocky growing gourd needs lots of workmanship.Also there are many different type of gourds.We had been contacted with many gourd suppliers in USA in the past and from thousands of gourds we could only find 5 suitable gourds for smoking pipes.It is not enough to grow up the calabash gourd but also there is an additional work to shape the gourd.
@Pete gourd is more lighter than mahogany.Both gourd and mahogany absorbs the nicotine however gourd is better than mahogany from this perspective
@Jarit we are the only producer of standart meerschaum cups for gourd and mahogany calabash.We distrubite our products all over the World.Altinok is just one of them. they sell it from 50 US$ and we sell it from 29 US$ .That is the difference :)
Regards,

B.B

rockymtnsmoker

Can't Leave
May 31, 2013
Thanks MeerQueen. Understand now that the gourd is a much more complex critter than I imagined.
Thanks for the pix Jarit. What actually holds the cup in place. Looks like the inside of your pipe has a lip of some kind. Is it just a pressure fit?

jarit

Can't Leave
Jul 2, 2013
Thanks for the pix Jarit. What actually holds the cup in place. Looks like the inside of your pipe has a lip of some kind. Is it just a pressure fit?
Yes, it's a cork gasket that holds the meer bowl in place. It's not very tight, but it will hold in place quite well.

rockymtnsmoker

Can't Leave
May 31, 2013
With the help in this thread and more digging learned my pipe needs to be recorked, it needs a new cup and while I'm at it a new stem. Over $100 all in plus shipping. Looks like new a Gourd Calabash pipe can easily run +$200 so I'll still be ahead. Put it on the to do list :?

Status
Not open for further replies.