PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tedswearingen

Can't Leave
Sep 14, 2010
Longs, South Carolina
Just wanted to give a heads up about a new blend we're going to start carrying from McClelland this coming Monday. It's called Blue Mountain. It's a delicious Balkan blend, mixed with a fair hand of Latakia, a generous portion of exotic Orientals and Virginias. The blend was first introduced by Mike at the Chicago show. It's an incredible blend that deserves as much pre-release hype as anything else, I just don't think many people know it's coming yet. But it is. And it's good.
003-041-0134.jpg

clanobucklin

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 19, 2010
Sounds great - I will take a look - since I love Balkans. Will it be available in Bulk?

jayh

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 26, 2010
Is this in anyway related to the Sobraine Throwdown? Thanks for the heads up, Mr. Swearingen.

classicgeek

Apr 8, 2010
Mmmm... balkan...
I wonder if it will show up on the shelf of my B & M. They stock a wide range of McClelland blends. Is it similar to any of the other McClelland Orientals? From the description I'd guess it was near #12 or #14.
Simon

docwatson

Lifer
Jul 2, 2009
New England
In the Sobranie Throwdown at the Chicago show voting this was the overall MAJORITY WINNER for replicating 759.

it was also my favorite of the 3 competing blends. This blend is FANTASTIC.

I have smoked lots of the original 759 in the last 45 years and am fortunate enough to still have some on hand. but I will definitely stock up on this stuff for sure. highly recommended Balkan mixture.

Doc

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
My first impression was Dunhill 965, but after the initial char it smoothed out, becoming rich and cool. I think the Latakia really stands out. Never had the Sobranie, so I don't know how it compares, but it is very good on its own right. Smoked in my Bjarne Domed Dublin, purchased in 2008.

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
Russ of H&H won the contest based off the three judges. He did not win the vote from the crowd. I can't remember beyond this.

mlaug

May 23, 2010
Iowa
I just placed my order for Blue Mountain. I used to smoke 759, but I don't recall what it exactly tasted like. Its been too long ago.
I'm looking forward to this blend!
:clap:

jcsnaps

Lifer
Oct 18, 2010
For Trumpetboy and others Russ's blend from Hearth and Home is in the Marquee series and called Black House, available in tins.

kcvet67

Jul 6, 2010
I got 2 tins of it this morning. I'm working on my third bowl and have reached two conclusions:
1.)It's been too many years since I smoked the original and I can't tell for sure how close this is, it's certainly very similar to what I remember.
2.)It doesn't MATTER how this compares to the old Balkan Sobranie. Blue Mountain is a first class blend on it's own merits and has earned a place in my rotation. This is a "must have" for any Balkan lover.

bubblehead

Might Stick Around
May 26, 2011
All 3 blends in the 2011 Balkan Sobranie 759 Throwdown were great. Thanks for carrying this wonderful new blend from McClelland.
I just got my order of Blue Mountain from Iwan Ries (along with several others :)) and am quite pleased with it. Next I want to get some Black House and try it. I don't know what the third blend is but would like to try it as well, any information would be appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.