PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

didache

Can't Leave
Feb 11, 2017
London, England
Hi all
The new (and third) Maigret film was on TV here in the UK over Easter: 'Maigret at the Crossroads'. It stars Rowan Atkinson who, I think, is growing nicely into the role. For those who do not know, Maigret is a pipe smoking senior detective in Paris in a series of books by Georges Simenon who was himself something of a pipe-fanatic. Maigret is of interest to pipe smokers because he is rarely without his pipe. I read that the producers refused to bow down to the PC brigade on this as the pipe and Maigret are so intimately connected: even more than Holmes and his pipe.
While I was watching the film I noticed that Maigret/Atkinson was smoking Dunhills!
Unless this is a subtle piece of product placement, I wonder how the bean counters in the props department justified the cost!? In any case, it is probably very doubtful if a French detective in the mid-20th century would have been smoking a Dunhill anyway, given that there were so many excellent French companies then.
Incidentally, Atkinson apparently smoked a pipe while at university (although he did not keep it up) - it does show in the authenticity of the way he lights and smokes it.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I would guess the actor, wardrobe, or director had a large (hundreds?) selection of pipes to choose from in the pipes bin back in Props. The pipes are probably cataloged by vintage, shape, color, marque, etc. and any number can be ordered up for a preview. The collection probably far outstrips Peck's assortment.

beerandbaccy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 22, 2015
UK
Loving the new Maigret, although I was a huge fan of the 90s ones with Michael Gambon as well. I've even started reading the books (fairly cheap collections on kindle). The only problem is that while watching them I'm itching to smoke my pipe, but I'm not allowed to smoke indoors!

Status
Not open for further replies.