PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cavendish

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 22, 2013
I finally remembered to add in a Zippo on my latest order from 4noggins. I have one already that was given to me by an ex girlfriend in high school. It has a coating on it to make it look like pewter or dark metal or something. She had my name engraved in it and it chipped and scratched that area. Through use and everything else it had worn away more. I would like to get that layer removed, it's a nice lighter and has the standard insert. Anyone ever send a lighter to Zippo for a repair/restore ir anything else? I'm just poking around and wondering about dealing with them.
EDIT: Question, Ronson fluid still ok to use or should I use a different brand?

cavendish

Jan 22, 2013
Cool! Thanks for the info! I would request they removed that layer/coating thats where most of the scratches are. I'm not to worried about those I would just want that coating taken off and a pipe insert. Would I get the original insert returned? I'm thinking not but doesn't hurt to ask and be sure :)

cavendish

Jan 22, 2013
The old insert is fine. It still works I just don't use it cause it looks like shit lol.

craig94yj

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 24, 2013
Waterford, Ct
My wife is from Pennsylvania. While visiting some family way out in Johnsonburg we stopped into the Zippo factory and museum. If you are ever out that way it is worth a stop. As stated above they will refurbish your lighter, but will not restore the outer finish. I sent one back to have a loose hinge repaired. I think it took about a month. Not too bad considering. I have always used Ronsonol fuel and flints and never had a problem. An interesting story, among many, at the museum; In the spring a man was fishing for salmon in a stream and lost his lighter in the fast moving water. The following fall he was bear hunting. He shot and killed the bear and was dressing it out. He noticed a rather large salmon remains in the bears stomach. Curiosity lead him to gut the salmon and lo and behold, he recovered his lost Zippo lighter.

barleynbaccy

Can't Leave
May 31, 2013
I use Ronson fluid from time to time. More or less because the grocery store has it if I run out of Zippo brand. I just let it burn off for a couple seconds and it works just as fine for me.

pylorns

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Austin, Texas
www.thepipetool.com
I've had multiple Zippo lighters, and i'll be damned if I haven't lost every single one of them. Everyone of them always worked like a champ, I think I'm going to order myself a new one.
That said, I never had any issues with their flints in the past - is this a recent thing with the quality?

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Any type of fuel is fine in a Zippo and as roth mentioned I totally stay away from their flints. Buy some IM Corona flints, you will be glad you did. They last ten times longer, they do not get misshapen and they are just so much better. In fact I submit that the Zippo flints were put on this earth by the devil to mess with pipe smokers. lol

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
Zippo lighters are like Cross pens, buy them & they keep them like new forever. Case are left original & the guts/problem is fixed. Done it on both for 40+ years & never question one from either.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Zippos are iconic. To me, matches are the way pipes are meant to be lit. It must be a strong conviction,

because the heft, design, and finish of a Zippo has huge allure. But not for lighting my pipes.

buster

Lifer
Sep 1, 2011
I picked up a zippo with the pipe insert a year or so ago. I think it is awesome! I mostly smoke outside, walking the dog , back porch, fishing. Matches are nice where it is calm but not so good on a windy boat.

Status
Not open for further replies.