PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bookn3rd5

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 29, 2012
Hello all! I recently had a case of PAD strike, and I wanted to share the results (like so many of us like to do!). I had seen a thread the other day saying that Paul Hubartt of Larrysson Pipes was beginning to get back into the pipe making business after spending some time recovering from an injury. I hadn't really heard of Larrysson Pipes before so I started to do a bit of research on him. I loved the appearance of his pipes, particularly the treebark rustication he does. I emailed him right away to ask him if he was accepting custom orders, and he got back to me immediately.
Before I knew it, an agreement had been made on a specific pipe at a very reasonable price. He finished the pipe last night and provided me with pictures today. He will be mailing it to me tomorrow, and I think the next week or so will help me improve upon my level of patience as I eagerly anticipate its arrival (he is based in the UK). I am incredibly excited with the result and can't wait to get this baby in the mail! I found Paul to be one of the most polite people I have worked with so far in regard to artisan pipe makers, and he encouraged me to ask any and all questions that I might have about the process he uses to make his pipes. When I asked him if the stems he uses are hand made or pre-molded, he promptly responded by saying that he cuts the stems by hand from German ebonite rod. When I asked him if the pipe will be able to pass a pipe cleaner, he simply but enthusiastically responded 'always!'. He provided me with the specific dimensions that he prefers to use, and the professionalism and respect with which he responded to all of my questions was refreshing. He was truly a pleasure to work with and I'm not so sure that this will be the last pipe I purchase from him.
Listed below is the pipe that I have purchased from him. He did state that he is just now starting to get back into the pipe making business, and that he would like to start getting his name out there again. He did not ask me to spread the word, but it's something that I wanted to do. Based on my interactions with him, I have no problems whatsoever sharing the positive experience I had in negotiating the purchase of one of his pipes. Additionally, I would have to say that some of the pipes he has produced are truly one of a kind, and the artistic talent he displays in his pipes are amazing! Picture is below and I will be sure to add more when I receive it! :)
timthumb.php_zpsdvotlaiw.jpeg

bookn3rd5

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 29, 2012
Thanks everyone. This will be my first poker as well. I've always been drawn to the shape but hadn't found one that made me pull the trigger until I ran across Paul's pipes. His rustication style is pretty unique for sure! :)

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
That's a very cool looking pipe! Glad to hear that he is making pipes again!

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
What a great looking pipe. It looks like he carved it out of a little chunk of log. Very nice. :puffy:

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Mr. Hubartt's tree bark finish is his trademark in my mind; every time I see his name I see one of these pipes. It's accomplished, and natural as the lines follow the shape of the pipe; cherrywood, not a poker?

P

pipebuddy

When you see a pipe like that, you know it's got to be a Larryson. Enjoy your new pipe!

hodirty

Lifer
Jan 10, 2013
Wow! I had to take the pipe out of my mouth when I saw that. It is spectacular. I especially Love the tree bark look. I hope you enjoy it. Thanks for sharing.

bookn3rd5

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 29, 2012
Thanks everyone! I've had the pipe for about a week now and it smokes really well. The draw is effortless and the shape/finish of the pipe is just so unique. It is a pretty solid pipe and can be clenched if needed. Needless to say, I'm very happy with my purchase! :)

homewaters

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 16, 2014
Congrats! I have a few Larrysson pipes in my collection and I love them. Paul makes some fantastic smoking machines!

Status
Not open for further replies.