PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
I am so upset I don't even know where to start ... I swing by the local tobacco shop this afternoon, to grab a few pipe cleaners, and who knows what else sticks on me. On my way there I was actually thinking about getting a new pipe blend as well, only to realize that there is hardly any pipe tobacco left at the shop. All tins, and most bags are gone. The lady over there told me that they had to send them all to HQ, in order to relabel them in accord to new governmental regulations. Now I don't know how the new tins will look like, but I would imagine that they won't be any more different than the new packs of cigarettes. My wife smokes cigarettes, and lately on her pack I noticed that you can barely distinguish the colors of the old pack, while the brand name "Davidoff" is written on a small window. The rest of the pack is covered in black and white, with your "smoke kills" type of warnings, and huge pictures both on front and back - such as dead people at the morgue, a husband and wife crying over their dead infant's coffin, rotting teeth, etc. I think this is crossing the line. I mean, yes lung cancer, circulatory diseases, and any other tobacco related health issues are a risk that smokers are willing to take - some more educated than others. I agree that the government should step in for the general good of the population, but there are limits. The lady pulled out a bag of Stanwell that came in this morning, and guess what? My intuition was right, it look exactly like the pack of cigarettes I was telling you about in the above. So not only that I didn't buy any pipe tobacco - as all the inventory was sent in for re fitting, but when they will finally send it back from HQ it will look like a tin full of nails. Dang it ... even tins of candy look better. I don't know about you guys, but I really liked the artwork on some of the tobacco tins ... they have managed to ruin the experience in so many ways ... truly disappointed. I don't know if this is a Romanian thing, or a European Union imposed set of rules ... I am speechless. I ended up buying a few cigars - thank God those didn't have any regulation related modifications. I wonder, will they put stickers of flask penises on cigars in order to highlight erectile dysfunction risks, as pictures of dead people won't fit !?

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
All I can say Madox is that in some cases the new labels might peel off, and if you don't buy the new tins then they have accomplished their goal--- that of driving more people away from tobacco. So I say: be damned the labels and if anything I will ask for them and buy MORE tobacco! You can always put the stuff in jars and make your own pretty labels.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Maddox, the sky is the limit for what truthers will do to get their point across. I'm sure they see it as a "public good", while i see it as that I'm a grown ass adult and can make my own decisions.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I'm glad that I pulled the labels off the C&D tins I bought while the Tarler's ran the business. I always found them to be amusing and whimsical. I have over 100 labels and plan, some day, to frame them.

As for the "new" label laws; they just force me to empty the tins into jars. At the end of the day it's what in the tin and not what's on it.

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
I'm a grown ass adult and can make my own decisions.
Wow! What a novel idea! You mean I'm not a little child and don't need Big Brother to run my life and tell me how to live?
We need Fat Pictures on McDonalds Burgers Saying Gluttony Kills.
+1. Where are the pictures of obese kids on the wrapper of each Big Mac with FAT KILLS and the number of grams of fat in that burger! Any less is pure discrimination against the tobacco industry. Where is a lawmaker when you really need him?
But Cosmic says it best: when the anti-gunners went out campaigning for stricter laws, the nation set new records for purchase of firearms and ammunition. Embrace the labels. Let them show an INCREASE in sales. Hell, I might even call the FDA to ask them if they will be offering them in designer colors as I am building a collection of them to wallpaper my house! Nothing would piss them off more.

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
I don't believe tbe FDA cares about any of this: what shirts we wear or how we decorate our homes.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
We need Fat Pictures on McDonalds Burgers Saying Gluttony Kills
Fantastic. How about anything containing sugar has pictures of diabetics amputations?
This whole thing is ridiculous. Nanny state.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Maybe blenders could produce beautiful small labels with art, sort of like commemorative stamps, to counterpoint the horror-story warning labels. They could have adhesive, like postage stamps, and could go on baggies, tubs, or tins. I think these might be produced at lower cost than full labels.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
Myeah ... you guys are right. I need to calm down, and after all realize that what is inside is what matters, except that I couldn't even buy tobacco today due to this pullback-relabel thing. Any road ... a pity. First the tariffs on tobacco, then labels, than more tariffs to the point taxes are 80% out of the cost of a smoke pack, and then more labels with nicotine content and tar levels, followed by smoking in the bar/pub ban and now this ... At this pace, my dear friends, we shall become extinct ... in the not so far future children will learn about us in history books as the freaks that enjoyed smoking some terrifying plant.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
It's obviously some sort of holy crusade against the tobacco industry ... so many other things kill, and don't have such warnings attached to the product. Again, I am not advocating that tobacco is harmless - but like ashdigger said, every grown adult has a right to decide. Take sodas for example - 54 gr of sugar for a 330 ml can. Eat 54gr of sugar with a spoon, instead of drinking it, and I guarantee it that you will puke. No comment ...

didache

Can't Leave
Feb 11, 2017
London, England
Yup. I was in Harrods (in London) last week. It has a fairly decent little cigar and tobacco dept. They sell their own brand pipe tobacco in tins, and as I had never tried it I thought I'd buy a tin or two.
No chance! The salesman was very apologetic and told me they actually had tins (he showed me one), but were not allowed to sell them until the dire warning stickers had been delivered and stuck on.
I wound up buying a tin of Erinmore Balkan Mixture (which I can recommend btw). I don't know if it is true, but I heard somewhere that Erinmore BM was designed to be a copy of Dunhill EMP.

Mar 1, 2014
Tobacco companies should include a sticker on the bottom of the tin so that you can put the label on either the lid of the tin or use it on a jar.
And then we'd all become sticker collectors.

seagullplayer

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 30, 2014
Indiana
I am not tiring to be political here at all.
But as long as they allow a woman to kill the baby that lives inside her, they need to lay off my smoking habit choice.
And they can shove seat belts, well you get my drift...

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
Please tell me how abortion and women's rights play into the health nazi's attack on tobacco?! It is not the women who want the right to choose who want our tobacco legislated out of our hands. Good grief. They are all about personal choice whether it is smoking, drinking, owning a gun, or birth control.

Status
Not open for further replies.