PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pipesicle

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 31, 2012
S.E.Iowa
I bought a new Kaywoodie this past weekend. It was only $27, but the clerk had to look at about 6-7 before he found one that he could twist the bit in

enough to make it "level" with the bowl. It was probably 15-20 degrees out of level. Turned out to be a "wet" smoker as well. it has the metal condensation

tube in it and after smoking about 1/2 a bowl i actually got juice running into my mouth.
My questions are...is this normal for a Kaywoodie or is it me?

crpntr1

Lifer
Dec 18, 2011
Texas
I've come to the conclusion ..new cheap pipes aren't as good as old cheap pipes.

I've got a late '60s author that I'll never get rid of, but I bought 3 new kw and gave them all away.

highstump

Might Stick Around
Jan 22, 2010
Kaywoodie makes good pipes but you have to spring for the handmades (all push bits btw, no stinger). A $27 pipe is a $27 pipe no matter what the brand.

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
I work at a cigar/tobacco shop and they sell those new cheap Kaywoodies. IMHO, they are crap. I have a vintage mid 50's Prince of Wales shape Kaywoodie(w/ stinger intact) and its one of my favorites even though it will gurgle a bit, I just open it up and shake out the moisture.

its the one in my photo.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
If you're a new piper and you're smoking very fast then it's your fault.
If you were taking your time and the bowl seemed to last forever and you still got a wet smoke, ditch the pipe.
Dry out your tobacco, smoke slow, pack loose, try again.
If you can get a bad pipe to smoke well you'll go far in this world.
If the kaywoodie is new then you will need to smoke it for a while until it becomes broken in enough to handle your smokes properly.

pipesicle

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 31, 2012
S.E.Iowa
nsfisher,

Maybe this is a dumb question but if I ditch the stinger, what hold the stem to the pipe?

Bill

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
I think the stingers twist out in the new ones. I have a 48-55 model and it smokes great with the stinger. You have to pack it a little light though. If the stinger isn't removable, some people use a dremel and cut it off below the threads.

will

Might Stick Around
Jul 8, 2012
I have an older Kaywoodie Whitebriar and it smokes surprisingly well with the stinger.

From what I have heard about the newer Kaywoodies I think I will stick to the older models.

reichenbach

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 5, 2012
West Park, NY
I just bought a Kaywoodie Drinkless the other day and it starts gurgling faster than any other pipe I've broken in. I'll use 3 pipe cleaners during the course of a smoke. I'm waiting to decide if I really hate the stinger before I pull it off but even after two smokes, I'm getting close.

jaymayse50

Lurker
Aug 10, 2012
I have a handful of Kaywoodie "estate" pipes. I just removed the stinger from one and it smokes really well. The ones with the stingers smoke just as well. I guess it is just whatever your preference is.

nightmarejones

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 4, 2012
I have 2 kaywoodies that are in the top five of my favorites.They are both '47-'55 era with stingers intact.Personally don't know about newer models so I'll be no help there.

Status
Not open for further replies.