PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

briarfriar

Can't Leave
From newsworks.org on Monday:
New Jersey lawmakers are once again attempting to restrict smoking at public parks and beaches.
A bill that cleared the Assembly Tourism, Gaming and the Arts Committee this morning seeks to extend the provisions of the state Smoke Free Air Act.
The legislation would ban cigarette, cigar, pipe, and electronic device smoking in any state park or forest, county or municipal park, or state or municipal beach.
"The prohibition of smoking at public parks and beaches would better preserve the natural assets of this state by reducing litter and increasing fire safety in those areas, while lessening exposure to secondhand tobacco smoke among the public," the bill states.
However, the measure would allow a municipality or county to set aside 15% of a park or beach for a smoking area.
According to the legislation, "a person having control of an indoor public place or workplace or a public park or beach" will enforce the law by ordering anyone in violation to comply.
Anyone continuing to smoke after receiving an order to stop will be subject to a fine of not less than $250 for the first offense, $500 for the second offense and $1,000 for each subsequent offense.
In Sept. 2014, Gov. Chris Christie vetoed the bill, saying smoking prohibitions should be enacted at the local level.
Assemblywoman Valerie Huttle, one of the sponsors of the legislation, said the governor's veto was a blow to public health and the environment.
"We will definitely try to get the advocates together, get the legislators together, and see if we can have an override," said Huttle, D-Bergen in 2014.
Numerous coastal communities already prohibit smoking on beaches, including Belmar, Seaside Park, Seaside Heights, Harvey Cedars, Long Branch, and Lavallette.

macaroon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 2, 2015
Michigan
It seems to me that the issue with this is the lumping of pipes in with cigarettes. I've never seen pipe stems sticking out of the sand at the beach like I have cigarette butts!

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

Agreed @macaroon. I've been to a cigarette beach in Cuba, and there wasn't a pipe in the sand. The new no smoking anything outside movement is crossing the line, and people should be irate about it. At least, I know it's really starting to stick in my craw.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Reads as though the State Legislature is now just following the trends set by the smaller, local governments. I doubt if the big tobacco companies will spend much to fight the legislation. Looks like if you want to smoke a pipe in a park you need to bring a couple thousand dollars along with the beach umbrella. Those bowls are gonna get expensive.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Just one of the many reasons why I'd never want to live in the People's Republic of New Jersey.

Status
Not open for further replies.