PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
It is hard to come up with an original idea but I'll throw this out to see what you think.
Basically, the idea is an organized tobacco crawl, similar to a pub crawl, when groups visit different pubs and try different beverages. The idea is that participants agree to try a variety of specified blends for say, a week or a month. We could have theme tours, say a tour for pipe newbies; a VaPer tour, Balkan Tour, Bulk tour; line tour, etc.
Off the top of my head, I think a monthly tour with four or different tobaccos could be manageable. Long enough to investigate blends but short enough to avoid tedium. TobacCrawlers (BacCrawlers?) would share their opinions, reviews and insights of the weekly choice online. We could have different crawl guides, maybe some from the industry, others could be old timers, some would be aficionados of blends, lines, or styles.
The more I write, the more excited I'm getting. The first tour might be an organized introduction to the world of tobaccos, focusing on the basics. Week One would be maybe straight Virginias, week two a burley, week three maybe a Vaper; week four maybe an English or Balkan, and perhaps finally an aromatic.
Later crawls might be all VaPers, English, or all G.L.Pease or C&D, etc.
What do you think? Hope I'm not repeating an established idea but haven't seen anything quite like it on the boards. I can really see this idea going viral
What do say? Any interest? Volunteers to organize the first crawl?
Pax
Steve Graves

derfargin

Lifer
Mar 3, 2014
Kennesaw, GA
Well the big difference is, that "pub crawls" actually take place in pubs. Whereas, this might be a good idea, but most B&M's are never located in close proximity.
If this is something you're wanting to start by mail, there is already a "box pass" going around both in US and Canada. There are some minimal qualifications on getting on the box action. Here's the link to the thread:
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/new-box-pass-thread

eightywon

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 4, 2014
I feel like your intent is to create something more like a book club than a pub crawl, am I right? A group can agree to smoke a blend at their convenience and after some time reflect on what they got out of it. I feel like there are plenty of reviews out there if you're interested in learning about a new blend. If you'd care to share about your experience with a certain blend I'm sure we'd all like to read about it, hell there's even a section for that on this forum. Or maybe I'm missing something, my first two initial thoughts were like derfargin's : a B&M crawl wouldn't be feasible and there's already a box pass.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
I'm familiar with the box pass, although I've not participated. I have participated in several cigar passes, however.
My idea for a virtual crawl is different. Unlike the box pass, members would buy their own tobacco from their favorite vendors or any source they would like. No worries about delayed shipping, trust issues, freshness, etc. (Some vendors might wish to participate in some way, maybe a discount for the crawl members)
Crawlers are smoking the same tobaccos the same week, for comparison notes and discussion, rather than whatever strikes their fancy from the box. (Not that there is anything wrong with that)
Forum members could organize on their own or maybe PipesMagazine would like to sponsor an official tour each month.
There could be as little as two people participating or hundreds. If anyone would like to try one, let me know. I don't think I'm breaking any forum rules with the proposal. If no interest, no problem. Wouldn't be the first time I had what I thought was a great idea that developed no interest.
81 is right about it being a bit like a book club.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
This sounds great, but I wouldn't participate. I can't even keep up with my own cellar.

Many tins to be cracked, many blends on hand. And I mix quite a bit. With all the recommendations

on Forums ... and now peck with his Haddo's Delight. What's a piper to do?

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
@brass, I smell what you're stepping in. I don't think it is a bad idea at all though it is more akin to a book club than a pub crawl as @eightywon mentioned. It would have to be planned in advance (the month's list of tin/bulk) and would certainly require dedicated members who can afford to purchase the required blends and also be willing to regularly participate. Of course we could all just read reviews and compare by ourselves, but part of the fun of this forum is sharing experiences together, this idea being more of a virtual pipe meet up without the immediacy of instant feedback.
I like the idea.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
Good comments, all. Thanks everyone.
Cmdrmcbragg, you're correct, it would require some advance planning. I'm sure in many cases, folks would already have a tin or have already smoked the blend.
However, members would need only commit to one crawl at a time, e.g, smoke several bowls from a specified tin each week for a month, write their comments, observations, stories, reviews; compare notes; celebrate or grieve over the latest ball, game.
Depending on the theme, some might drop from the months scheduled theme, and others join in. Curious about LakeLands or aromatics or burlesque? Sign up or just drop in. Not interested? Catch you next time around.
It would be like a virtual pipe-meetup. You wouldn't get the immediate interchange of a live meeting but would get more prompt, current and focused responses than on the review boards.
I don't see a need for a lot of formality. People can come and go as they please, can afford or according to their passing interest. Some crawl groups might be semi-permanent like a club, others more like a onetime pub crawl.
I've done something similar with a cigar buddy in NY. We'd light up on an agreed Friday night, pour a favorite beverage, and shoot the breeze about the smokes, the drinks, politics - whatever. Even got on the phone a couple of times. Turned out we liked online better.
I like the idea most as way of semi-organizing my exploration of tobaccos and sharing the journey real-time.
MSO, nothing saying you have to smoke tobaccos that aren't already in your cellar. You might even nominate one if it fits the theme or recommend a theme that fits your cellar. And I'm with you about variety. While I envision smoking at least several bowls from the weeks selection, I would certainly smoke other blends at the same time. Come to think of it, that would sometimes provide fodder for comparisons that others would find of use and interest.

eightywon

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 4, 2014
+1MSO- also I usually never have consecutive bowls of a blend, let alone the same blend for a few days or a week.

I hate to shoot you down, I love pipe smoking and wish there was more camaraderie, but I don't think this will catch on. A book club works because like a movie, when a group goes out they tend to watch the same movie. A pub crawl works because like a restaurant, they eat together, but they don't always order the same thing. I feel like your trying to start a book club where everyone agrees to drink Coors Light. As far as reflecting on the experience, I've already mentioned there are reviews to give and take. However, I think I'm going to fire up a bowl of ODF next if anyone would care to join me. We can talk about how awesome it is after :wink:

Cheers!

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
Thank goodness for Google. Mac Barren Old Dark Fired. Haven't tried that one yet. We could make that the first tin in the first week of the first crawl.
I would never join any club where the beverage served was Coors Light. Give me bottled water; at least it is more honest about its ontology. Now a book club that featured a craft beer of the week - now we're talking. :puffy:

May 31, 2012
I like the idea.
But I would slightly modify it to be a shared interaction from an old tin, depending on how many participants a 2oz tin goes a good ways --- one of the most fun and rewarding things I've done here on pm.com is share an old tin between more than a dozen people...

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/smoking-some-65-year-old-scottish-flake-a-group-review

...and it was great reading everyones take of the very same tobacco, from the very same tin, from the very same batch, identical baccy with differing interpretations thereof.
If there would be any interest, perhaps the group could decide on some old stuff and acquire it from Pipestud or eBay, or someones cellar,with each person throwing in a portion for the purchase --- which may or may not be worth it to a lot of folks, there's no guarantee that an old tin will be any good or even if age has been kind to it, and the portions would be small, probably only a few bowls each ---- but it would be an ontological experience for sure!
Don't mean to hijack, just thought I'd throw this out there and see iffit sticks.

:puffy:

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
misterlowercase, I like your idea and would participate. Sign me up. I would like a blend that is still being made so that I could compare an aged vs a fresh blend.
Having said that, your idea is different than the crawl since it would involve fronting some money, someone would have to ship and pack, and otherwise manage the experience. But if you want to volunteer, tell me where to send the cash or paypal.
Meantime, I'm still hoping for interest in the tobacco crawl. Maybe do a test run in August, starting with straight Virginians but I'm open to the details.

May 31, 2012
If there is interest, I may volunteer to be the point man, because the whole experience is not only richly rewarding, but also very informative and helpful.
For the crawl,

I'm down with ODF,

I'd like to see the compilation of impressions,

but that happens alot already,

perhaps not on the concentrated scale you're proposing,

so a crawl would probably be most interesting.

:puffpipe:

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
However, I think I'm going to fire up a bowl of ODF next if anyone would care to join me. We can talk about how awesome it is after
Always down for that discussion! :worship:
odf-418x600.jpg

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
OK, ODF will be first up, let's say starting August 1. I nominate 3 nuns, a classic I believe.
The review of the Virginia Burley is here: http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/5214/mac-baren-hh-old-dark-fired
Our theme could be Virginia Burleys or perhaps a survey of other Mac Barren blends.
I recommend that we explore Viriginia Burleys. Let's pick 1 or 3 more candidates. What do YOU want to try? We could also just pick the top rated blends in the category.
Quick search for other highly rated Virginia Burleys include 3 nuns; GLP Jack Knife plug; Gawith, Hoggarth & Co. - Revor Plug]; aw heck:
Heres the list from Tobacco Review

Bell's - Three Nuns 140 ★★★★ 3.0 Virginia/Burley

Cornell & Diehl - 417P: Night Train 59 ★★★★ 3.4 Virginia/Burley

Cornell & Diehl - 969: Virginia Gentleman 11 ★★★★ 3.5 Virginia/Burley

Cornell & Diehl - Exhausted Rooster 57 ★★★★ 3.4 Virginia/Burley

Dunhill - Ultra Mild 13 ★★★★ 3.7 Virginia/Burley

Esoterica Tobacciana - Stonehaven 168 ★★★★ 3.6 Virginia/Burley

Esoterica Tobacciana - Tilbury 72 ★★★★ 3.2 Virginia/Burley

G. L. Pease - JackKnife Plug (New World Collection) 91 ★★★★ 3.5 Virginia/Burley

Gawith, Hoggarth & Co. - Best Brown #2 49 ★★★★ 3.0 Virginia/Burley

Gawith, Hoggarth & Co. - Brown Flake U/S 40 ★★★★ 3.3 Virginia/Burley

Gawith, Hoggarth & Co. - Dark Flake 68 ★★★★ 3.3 Virginia/Burley

Gawith, Hoggarth & Co. - Dark Plug 20 ★★★★ 3.8 Virginia/Burley

Gawith, Hoggarth & Co. - Kendal's Dark 21 ★★★★ 3.2 Virginia/Burley

Gawith, Hoggarth & Co. - Kendal's Mixed 8 ★★★★ 3.0 Virginia/Burley

Gawith, Hoggarth & Co. - Revor Plug 38 ★★★★ 3.7 Virginia/Burley

J. F. Germain & Son - Rich Dark Flake 10 ★★★★ 3.8 Virginia/Burley

Mac Baren - HH Old Dark Fired 73 ★★★★ 3.6 Virginia/Burley

Mac Baren - HH Old Dark Fired Ready-Rubbed 10 ★★★★ 4.0 Virginia/Burley

McClelland - Bulk No.110 Just Plain Nut 13 ★★★★ 2.8 Virginia/Burley

Player's - Digger Flake 6 ★★★★ 3.3 Virginia/Burley

Samuel Gawith - 1792 Flake 326 ★★★★ 2.9 Virginia/Burley

Samuel Gawith - Cob Flake 8 ★★★★ 2.9 Virginia/Burley

Samuel Gawith - Cob Plug 26 ★★★★ 3.2 Virginia/Burley

Samuel Gawith - Kendal Cream Mixture 12 ★★★★ 2.9 Virginia/Burley

The Smoker - St. James 6 ★★★★ 3.5 Virginia/Burley

Troost - Slices 33 ★★★★ 3.4 Virginia/Burley

thesmokingtexan

Can't Leave
Jul 11, 2014
I think it is really neat idea however there would have to be about a months notice so that I can order the correct blend. I do not live anywhere near a offical tobacco store so I can only order via mail or drive 2 hours. We could plan a certain night and time and smoke all at the same time and start a post to communicate what we think of the flavor in real time as opposed to smoking it and then later on posting. That way we could bs and get opinions while actually smoking the blend.

thesmokingtexan

Can't Leave
Jul 11, 2014
What does odf stand for? Also since I am new to pipe smoking. I will let yall pick. I would just be throwing darts in the dark if I picked

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
ODF is Mac Barren's Old Dark Fired, a Virginia Burley. I had to Google ODF and tobacco to figure it out.
To summarize thus far:
Founding Tobacco Crawlers are:

misterlowercase

cmdrmcbragg (Commander, you expressed interest. I think you're on board? If not, my apologies)

thesmokingtexan
Anyone else can join in at anytime, just by saying I'm in.
Week 1: Mac Barren's Old Dark Fired

Week 2: 3 Nuns

Week 3:

Week 4:
Guidelines
  1. If possible, smoke 3 or more bowls a week
Share reviews, comments, comparisons with other blends you are smoking or have smoked in the appropriate thread.
The first crawl thread is here: http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/the-first-pax-virtual-tobacco-crawl-virginia-burleys?replies=1#post-646866 (Much of this organizational is duplicated there)
Order your tobacco from whatever source you wish but I'll find at least one source for your consideration and convenience.
Real time smoke-in is optional. Maybe best way to handle is for any participant to post an announcement on the thread, stating the time that you'll be smoking a bowl, and leaving an open invitation for others to join in.
We are in it for fun, so ok to drop in late, drop out early. We're winging it anyway, so these guidelines are flexible and will almost certainly change as we get experience. let's see where we go.
Who knows, a few years from now, you might be able brag that you were one of the first tobacco crawlers.
One question for all: My preference is to taste 4 blends a month. Is that too much? Any other suggestions welcome.

stosho

Might Stick Around
Aug 10, 2013
Count me in. Since I am leaving on vacation tomorrow I am not certain I can get the tin for week one but I'll stay in the strand and do my best to get my hands on what you are smoking. This seems like a good way to learn the intricacies of tobacco for a newbie. Nice idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.