New here.... How much tobacco do you pack??

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

matman88

Lurker
Mar 22, 2015
Hello! Rather new to pipe smoking. I started on a $3 old school cob and just received my Missouri Meeschaum Country Gentleman! I love the looks so far, but was a bit surprised by the size of the bowl. It's very large compared to my wimpy sized cob. Should I pack it to the top?? Do you usually finish off an entire pipe? Is it cool to light it again later? Would really appreciate the feedback! Thanks. - Matman

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
Hi Matt, Every idea you threw out there works. You should play with it and see what you like best. There is no right or wrong way, until you figure out what doesn't work for YOU.
Edit: Some folks like to break in a cob with a non aromatic, but I smoke what I'm in the mood for.

matman88

Lurker
Mar 22, 2015
Thanks! Also, do you know what the white powdery substance inside the bowl is? Should I clean it out?

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
Welcome. honestly, do what you want! Some feel strongly a pope should be smoked to the bottom to build up cake- so they would suggest only packin a half bowl of that's all you want to smoke. Me- I've kinda just decided not to be too worked up- I pack a full bowl and what happens happens. As you get more pipes, they may be of varying size. I have some pipes that will be an hour+ smoke and I just don't use them if I'm not wanting that. I have some smaller pipes that I smoke if that's what I desire.

framitz

Can't Leave
Oct 25, 2013
I have a collection from huge charlatans and preen holms to savinelliupshal capris and prince du hills so I pick a

A pipe for the time I have to smoke. I fill to top but occasionally get interrupted and end up with deferred reward when I restart bowl. Shel

darthcider

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 24, 2014
Wales
Welcome, do whatever you feel like doing, just enjoy the whole process.

I always fill pipes to nearly full,allowing for expansion when lighting.

When I have had enough, I tip whats left away.

I never relight leftovers, but others on here report they do it all the time.

Apart from the basics of packing and lighting etc, do what feels right at the time, its your pipe, enjoy it.

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
Welcome.

I usually smoke till the bowl is done. If I don't have time for a whole bowl I'll just pack as much in my pipe as I think I can finish. I have on a few occasions not finished and set it aside to smoke later or the next day and that was fine also. As others have said, try whatever you like and decide what works for you. Most of all....enjoy! :puffy:

stephenw

Might Stick Around
Nov 14, 2014
WV
My advice is to experiment and learn what works for you. I began smoking a pipe about 45 years ago when there was no internet to provide you with the "proper" way to do things, so I learned on my own. I always fill my pipes full and if I cannot smoke the entire bowl I set the pipe aside and come back to it later. Sometimes it is the next day or even two days later before I can finish a bowl. This is what has become called DGT or Delayed Gratification Technique. Certain tobaccos just seem to become better with this method, especially the Virginia and Virginia/Periques that I smoke.

matman88

Lurker
Mar 22, 2015
Thanks for the welcome and awesome advice y'all! The community on here is great! Not many pipe smokers I know around town (Morgantown, WV) or tabaccoists. Hopefully they will start coming out of the woodwork when I begin puffing around town!

beastkhk

Can't Leave
Feb 3, 2015
+1 on not packing to the brim to allow for expansion. Also can help prevent one from charring the rim of the pipe when lighting.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
What I tend to do, perforce, is pack to the top, and if something interrupts, relight. I treasure my mornings: No one's awake and I get to smoke a full bowl listening to oldies from my generation like Savoy Brown or the Jefferson Airplane.

monty55

Lifer
Apr 16, 2014
Bryan, Texas
Oh.. I'd say pack that puppy to the top.. sit back and enjoy and nice long smoke. Is there any other way? Smoke it the way it was built to be smoked. If you want a shorter smoke use another pipe with a smaller bowl.

joshb83

Can't Leave
Feb 25, 2015
It's all about preference! You really have to figure out YOUR method of piping, with a corn cob you won't build up much cake, so don't worry about the half full technique. Enjoy yourself, fill it to the brim, set aside some time uninterrupted and just go for it. Remember, this is supposed to be relaxing, so just enjoy it. It all comes in time:) and welcome!!

stephenw

Might Stick Around
Nov 14, 2014
WV
Matman, it is good to see another West Virginian here. I live over in the eastern panhandle right now, but I grew up in Elkins and went to school at WVU. In fact, I began smoking a pipe while in Morgantown... way back in 1970.

Status
Not open for further replies.