PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

firstwordisee

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 10, 2012
I have been lurking around this site and thought I should make myself present since I have been reading so many posts. Lots of info here! I have been a cigar smoker for many years, now with taxes out of control in my state costs started to really take the fun out of it so recently I switched to a pipe. Seems like it will be cheaper (as long as you dont buy a new pipe every week!). I started with a cheap ebay no name pipe but I am ready to order a Peterson 302 from PipesandCigars, seems like they have great prices. I already I need to spend about 6 more bucks for free shipping, who can give me a good bulk tobacco reccomendation? I have a couple of pretty good aromatics already. I was looking for a more tobacco type smoke, closer to cigar but more flavor?? in bulk. I still dont know much about the basics, just want a suggestion on a quality bulk (2oz) to try, anybody?

Thanks

pipetrucker

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 13, 2010
Following the white rabbit
That's the big question new pipe smokers ask. There are no right answers, just everyone's preferred blends. I would suggest that you try as many different blends as you can and you will slowly learn which types of blends you prefer.
I suggest trying some English blends like Squadron Leader and other lighter Latakia blends (Latakia is an acquired taste). Give some of the Peterson blends a try, like Sherlock Holmes, Old Dublin, and Irish Flake.
But pretty much just try as many different types as you can manage. A visit to a B&M is a great way to start as you can usually sample their bulk blends to see what you might like.
And don't ignore some of the "codger blends" like Prince Albert, Carter Hall, and Captain Black. From what you said in your post I think you may enjoy Captain Black white label. Those old blends have been around a long time for a good reason.

firstwordisee

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 10, 2012
Thanks for the response. I know the options are endless, I was really just trying to fill the order at PipesandCigars and they have their own specific bulk blend that I was looking for feedback on. One that is highly rated I guess. Flaver really doent matter at this point.

smokindawg

Can't Leave
May 25, 2011
Order a sampler......... Get an English, a Vaper, and a Virginia blend. These will help to get you started as far as types of blends that you may enjoy.

firstwordisee

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 10, 2012
Geez, thats the best idea I heard all day, why didnt I think of that?? Thanks gentlemen.

pawpaw

Lifer
Jun 25, 2011
cleveland NC
I am an ex cig smoker and have never done cigars but I have read that Billy Bud has cigar leaf in the mix you may enjoy that also Craig at C&D told me that Bridge Mix also has cigar leaf in it as well

Happy Puffin and welcome to the site

kcvet67

Jul 6, 2010
P&C has some nice samplers, if you order their Hearth and Home Sampler, you can choose whatever of their H&H blends you want:

http://pipesandcigars.com/heandhosa.html

firstwordisee

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 10, 2012
I smoked a blend with cigar leaf from local shop and didnt really enjoy it but I seems most of their blends are "average" so it could be just them, I should branch out.
kvet67, the Home Sampler sounds like the ticket, that will give me my $100 total for free delivery at PipesandCigars, I cant lose.
BTW- T. Jefferson is my favorite patriot, everyone should strive to be half the man he was.
Cheers.

nu2pipesjd

Lurker
Jul 7, 2011
Mass
Pretty soon you'll be trying to figure out which tobacco to take off your order to keep the $$ down... Pretty slippery slope.... Good Luck and enjoy

reichenbach

Jan 5, 2012
West Park, NY
I also noticed on pipesandcigars.com that they have a sampler that has a cigar theme. I can not remember the name of the sampler off the top of my head but look around for it in the sampler section.

Status
Not open for further replies.