PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

stearmandriver

Might Stick Around
Mar 13, 2018
Hello all,
I've been an on-again / off-again pipe smoker for over 20 years. Lately it's been "on" enough that I figured it was time to become more than a lurker, if only so I can ask the occasional question. ;-) I favor lat/oriental blends and am looking forward to branching out a bit. Perique has been intriguing me lately...
But anyhow, I've recently added a new pipe to my (very small) collection and since that happens, on average, roughly every 5 years, I thought it might be worth sharing. I'm a sucker for freehands and most of my favorites have been Nordings. This is my second. I know many consider these pipes to be ugly, and I'm ok with that. I can't explain to you why I like them... I just do. (I also appreciate classic shapes, so I'm not entirely hopeless.) ;-)
The new one is the light one. It's being propped up by the darker orange one, which has been my favorite pipe for 15 years. I usually like darker finishes but something about the contrast of this one grabbed me. And the "detents" or depressions in the shape fit the hand perfectly in several different grips. I've really been digging this one lately...
h8sPCaN.jpg

1oG4FNZ.jpg

cvDOvYA.jpg

Joe

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
Welcome to the forum. Both of those pipes are really nice. I am also looking forward to buy a Nording freehand in the future.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
And the "detents" or depressions in the shape fit the hand perfectly in several different grips. I've really been digging this one lately...
That's the beauty of freehands. As strange as they are to look at, you could almost swear they were carved specifically for your hand.
$_1.JPG

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Stunning! Both in shape and contrasting stain. :clap:

I like these pipes because they're an endlessly fascinating tactile and visual experience.

theloniousmonkfish

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 1, 2017
Congrats on the new one, dig the shaping on your other. Got a few Nording but only one freehand for some reason, great pipes.

pipesticks

Can't Leave
Jun 29, 2016
Chicago
Nording Freehands look so cool yet bizarre. I just got my first Nording, a churchwarden with a very conventional smooth bent brandy shape with red/black contrast stain. It smokes great so maybe I'll be looking further into Nordings.
002-508-2784.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Freehands, mostly from Denmark at first, were huge in the 1980's, I think it was. Now they come and go. Currently, I especially like the ones that maintain the size of the bowl but also keep the weight of the pipe down. I think Nording does especially well with this in some of his pipes, and I think yours may be good examples. During the craze, a lot of blah freehands were done to cash in on the sales, but Nording has always kept to high standards of design and smoke-ability.

pipesticks

Can't Leave
Jun 29, 2016
Chicago
Pipesticks, looking at the stem/shank junction on that pipe is it really that bad or is it a trick of photography?
It's not that it's "bad" but it is unique. The end of the shank is actually an elongated rectangle with slightly rounded corners fitted with a round stem. And it is that way be design.

The horizontal width of the semi-rectangular shank is 3/4 of an inch and the stem is a hair under a 1/2 inch. Vertically, the shank matches the stem width. I personally kind like the look of an unconventional and rather extra beefy rectangular shank which adds a bit of extra strength at the weakest point of such a long pipe. Marked Hand Carved by Erik Nording.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"I personally kind like the look of an unconventional and rather extra beefy rectangular shank which adds a bit of extra strength at the weakest point of such a long pipe. Marked Hand Carved by Erik Nording."
Well if you like it chum then that's fine, it just looks to me to be a very poor stem fit for a so called hand made pipe.
Enjoy it for many years, that's the main thing :puffy:
Regards,
Jay.

Status
Not open for further replies.