Status
Not open for further replies.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
Hello.
I am Jay, in Austin, Texas.
I smoked cigarettes for 33 years, until my body began advising me to not do so.
I began vaping 2 1/2 years ago. My 10 year blood pressure problem and recently acquired angina both went away after 4 months of vaping.
I got into the variety of vaping "e-juice" made from naturally extracted tobacco's (NET's) because I found the intricacies and nuances of the tobacco leaf quite appealing, similar to good coffee beans of distilled spirits.
Then, I ran into the guys who extracted their own from nice tobacco's bought online and I started poking around.
Turns out, for now, I'm actually too lazy to make my own NET's, but I gained a greater appreciation for better tobacco. When I smoked for all those years, it was less joyous, just a task to deliver the nicotine. Now, I'm learning more about the tobacco world and taking a much different approach.
Many of the NET making folk get their supplies from pipesandcigars, so I, too, am beginning there.
My first step was a box of Irish cigarillos called Alta Gracia. I didn't even know Ireland had their own cigars.
Never being a cigar or pipe person, I was surprised to find how much I was able to enjoy the cigarillos, tasting interesting angles of the smoke while relaxing and swatting mosquitoes.
So, P&C then began the onslaught of marketing emails and they wore me down.
I bought a ghetto cheap pipe and a can of John Cotton's #1.
Now, I don't know if this is considered a high or low end tobacco, but, like the Alta Gracia's, I was impressed and really enjoyed finding the different flavors and textures within the smoke.
Since then, I've bought a real pipe or two and now have about 8 tins of stuff I've not even tried yet.
I'm looking forward to continuing my journey and asking all the good noob questions.
Here are the pipes I currently have. (Sorry-I thought I could upload an image, but haven't found that function yet)
The middle one is the cheap ass starter pipe. It as a briar bowl that screws into a plastic base between the bowl and stem. It's days are numbered, but I'm keeping it around for now "just in case".
The bottom one is the Baraccini Pocket Model #135. I just used it for the first time this evening. I found it both tastier and warmer with the same tobacco than the ghetto pipe. Not a high end pipe, but marvelous to me at this time, anyways. Smaller than I expected, but a great grab-n-go size.
The top one is the Stanwell #185. I think it's gorgeous but am wondering when I'll ever have time to fill a bowl that large. I'll likely keep that as the house pipe and travel with the small one.
I'll stop here for now. It's easy to write a novel some times....
Look forward to meeting all of you.
Regards,
Jay :nana:

jaq6q

Might Stick Around
Jul 5, 2015
Hello welcome!
This warm, welcoming community will be happy to help you with the questions.

They are knowledgeable and kind!

I am a newbie myself and I ask lots of newbie questions.
Happy piping! :puffy:

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
Welcome on board Jay, it's always good to see a new face with a story. Please feel free to ask questions and post as much as you can.
Sorry-I thought I could upload an image, but haven't found that function yet
One secret, we love posts with pictures here more. Check the link below for more information about posting pictures and some other features:
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/how-to-videos

tschiraldi

Lifer
Dec 14, 2015
Ohio
Welcome! You have an entire universe to discover. Take your time. Oh,and you're going to need a good therapist.
Tim

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
You have arrived. Pipes are the best way to enjoy tobacco flavor, and it took me until I retired to catch on.

Most of us rationalize our 'hobby' or obsession, with the idea that pipe smokers live longer. (works for me.)

Welcome to the forums where we will enable and facilitate at least 2 specific 'disorders'.

TAD, which you are already beginning, and its brother, PAD. If you don't know what I'm talking about,

just read some stuff here, listen to the radio shows (archived since the beginning and very informative) and check out youtube and all the sponsor sights.

Have fun and keep on puffin!

mike

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
Check the link below for more information about posting pictures and some other features:
Thanks for all the warm welcomes.
I just watched the video for posting pics using the onsite album.
When the guy in the video clicks "My Account" There are a number of options, including selecting the album. When I click "My Account" the only option is to log out.
Do I need to sign up somewhere else for the album function, or is there a minimum post/time requirement to have that option?
Thanks again.
Jay :nana:

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Welcome Aboard, Jay!
You made an exceptional choice in your first tin of pipe tobacco (full disclosure: I'm a partner in Standard Tobacco Co. of Pa along with Condorlover, another forum member here).
A cornucopia of flavor and enjoyment awaits you as you explore the world of pipes and pipe tobacco blends.
Enjoy!

bluegrasspipe

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 13, 2017
Welcome Jay, this is a much more enjoyable hobby.. I have a question for the regulars that I haven't figured out, and I see Jay did it, when you copy and paste a text does it have that large line in front of it? How do you do that?

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
gotta go to the home page first
Thanks!

The middle one is the cheap ass starter pipe. It as a briar bowl that screws into a plastic base between the bowl and stem. It's days are numbered, but I'm keeping it around for now "just in case".
The bottom one is the Baraccini Pocket Model #135. I just used it for the first time this evening. I found it both tastier and warmer with the same tobacco than the ghetto pipe. Not a high end pipe, but marvelous to me at this time, anyways. Smaller than I expected, but a great grab-n-go size.
The top one is the Stanwell #185. I think it's gorgeous but am wondering when I'll ever have time to fill a bowl that large. I'll likely keep that as the house pipe and travel with the small one.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
OK, so what did I do wrong?
Went to home page.

Uploaded photo to album.

Clicked IMG button.

Pasted the URL from Photo.

Got no pic, just the little error square.
FNG training day, I suppose...

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
Welcome! This is a great place to make friends and enjoy the hobby of pipe smoking and collecting.

Welcome Jay, this is a much more enjoyable hobby.. I have a question for the regulars that I haven't figured out, and I see Jay did it, when you copy and paste a text does it have that large line in front of it? How do you do that?
bluegrasspipe, When you copy and paste something into a reply, you can highlight the text and then click on the "quote" button just above the reply text box. Hope that helps.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Jay, no pix.
1. Post you image to an online photo hosting site

2. Copy the image URL. It should look like htttp://www.imagehost.com/photo.jpg, and should end in .jpg or .png.

3. Click "IMG" in the "Reply" box and paste the image URL (htttp://www.imagehost.com/photo.jpg)
untitled-2.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Welcome aboard. No need to apologize about the price point on pipes. I love fine artisanal pipes, but most of mine are mid-range, and a number are lower priced. The quality of pipes isn't always price specific; you can get some fine smokers with worthy design for low prices, Dr. Grabow Royalton for one example, and Rossi, made by Savenelli for another.

bluegrasspipe

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 13, 2017
Ah thanks Buroak, I appreciate it.. I have been wondering that for a while..
OK, so what did I do wrong?
I was told to upload and move IMG's from the photobucket.com page, which I opened just for this site. And it works for me, I haven't tried this other method..
One secret, we love posts with pictures here more.

JVNSHR, thanks for all of the useful hints for us noobs..

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Jay, you probably didn't copy the actual image URL, just the page URL.
To copy the image URL:
1. Click on My Account>Albums>Pictures

2. Click on the picture that you want to use.

3. Right click on the picture, then click "copy image location".

4. Click "IMG" in the "Reply" box and paste the image URL (htttp://www.imagehost.com/photo.jpg)

Should look like this: http://pipesmagazine.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/1/files/album/9178/untitled-2-528x600.jpg
By default, the "Album" resizes you images to x600p. To remove the resizing, just delete "-528x600" from the filename. Filename will then look like http://pipesmagazine.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/1/files/album/9178/untitled-2.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.