New guy from London

(19 posts)
  • Started 2 months ago by hayashi7
  • Latest reply from piperusak
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

hayashi7

Login to Send PM

Dear Fellow Pipesmokers,

I started piprsmoking more than 20 years ago, a friend of mine wanted a birthday present so we got him a Dunhill pipe, I then got myself a Big Ben pipe so we could smoked together in our office (when smoking was a norm then). I can’t remember which tobacco we bought from Dunhill, I was hooked and I went from Big Ben to Savinelli to Peterson and one day I met Bill Ashton Taylor by chance, that was the beginning of my Ashton pipes smoking. I became a regular to his house and his garden shed where he made his pipes. I stopped smoking altogether after a few years due to my health. A childhood friend of mine recently took up the habit and we started chatting over how to start pipe smoking. I then found out Bill died about 10 years ago and felt really guilty for not maintaining contact with him. another fiend of mine visited me and bought me one of my fav Peterson Sunset, I then dugged out my pipe collections and found many of the stems have oxidised, which led me to this forum as I was researching on how to clean the stems. I am not an experienced pipe smoker nor am I a collector. I am here hoping to learn from you gentlemen about various tobaccos. This is also own way to remember Bill Taylor, the guy who introduced me to the ‘nutty’ taste.

Posted 2 months ago #
  2. redglow

redglow

Login to Send PM

Welcome aboard! Plenty of good conversation here to absorb. Enjoy! I took 18 years off and just returned to the pipe in January. Haven't looked back.

Posted 2 months ago #
  3. dcon

dcon

Login to Send PM

Welcome from FL. I had the pleasure of meeting Bill Taylor quite a few years ago. One of pipings greats.

On vulcanite stems, thick oxidation can be initially scraped with a razor at an angle. I would follow that up with high grit micro abrasion sanding files/paper. I would conclude with a nice rub down of Obsidian oil with a micro-fiber towel. I am sure others will have alternative suggestions.

Duane
    (Not Embers)
    Posted 2 months ago #
  4. dmcmtk

dmcmtk

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Welcome. A word of advice, old Ashton pipes are not the kind of pipes you want to "learn" on, they're fairly collectable. Maybe get in touch with Jimmy Craig.

https://pipedia.org/wiki/Ashton

Dave
    Duke Street Irregular
    Posted 2 months ago #
  5. puffy

puffy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Welcome Aboard

Life's most valuable treasure is..Love
    Posted 2 months ago #
  6. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Welcome! Lots of Londons in the US, but the original one in England is my favorite.

Before serious restoration of the vulcanite, a quick rub down with a tiny amount of mineral oil will work wonders with a minimum of elbow grease. (Obsidian oil is several times more expensive than food grade mineral oil, and is not superior).

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 2 months ago #
  7. civilwar

civilwar

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Welcome to the Forums!

Posted 2 months ago #
  8. bnichols23

Bill Nichols

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Welcome, hayashi! Glad to have you with us, & what stories you must have to share!

Bill

Head Black Frigate keelhauler, boss powder monkey, & troublemaker 1st class.
    Posted 2 months ago #
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

hayashi7

Login to Send PM

Thank you for the welcome and messages! Still trying to get my head around the forum, too many interesting things to read and learn from you gentlemen! Thank for for the advice on the oxidation, will have to find some decent mineral oil and a few hours to sit down and polish the stems.

Posted 2 months ago #
  10. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Welcome to the site from Florida.

Harris
    Posted 2 months ago #
  11. bnichols23

Bill Nichols

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

decent mineral oil and a few hours to sit down and polish the stems.

Well, that gives *you* a hobby. }:)

B

Posted 2 months ago #
  12. fusion

fusion

Login to Send PM

Hello and Welcome from NorCal

Posted 2 months ago #
  13. alaskanpiper

alaskanpiper

Login to Send PM

Welcome from Alaska. Quite something to have spent so much time with a great man in the history of pipes. I have a beautiful Ashton pebble grain dublin that I absolutely love.

"We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that death will tremble to take us." ---Hank

"Yeah, well, you know that's just like, uh, your opinion, man..." --- The Dude
    Posted 2 months ago #
  14. timelord

timelord

Login to Send PM

G'Day from Down Under

Posted 2 months ago #
  15. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thank you for the welcome and messages! Still trying to get my head around the forum, too many interesting things to read and learn from you gentlemen! Thank for for the advice on the oxidation, will have to find some decent mineral oil and a few hours to sit down and polish the stems.

The mineral oil application on a dozen pipes takes literally a couple of minutes. If you want a very shiny stem, other methods and several hours will be required.

Posted 2 months ago #
  16. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Welcome aboard from Raleigh, N.C., named after Sir Walter. I've been to your splendid city twice. Climbed St.Paul's dome to the lantern, among many other adventures.

Posted 2 months ago #
  17. derhammer

derhammer

Login to Send PM

Welcome to the forum!

Pierre
    Posted 2 months ago #
  18. User has not uploaded an avatar

ukbob

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Welcome from rainy Norfolk.

Posted 2 months ago #
  19. piperusak

piperusak

Login to Send PM

welcome from Latvia. There are many interesting things here.

Posted 2 months ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   alexnc, weezell, redglow, pianopuffer, voorhees, haparnold, peregrinus, timelord, corncobguy, craig61a, ben88, leafsmoker, deleon, elbert, danimalia, mso489