PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

fjneslage

Lurker
Dec 8, 2013
Hi guys, my name is Fred, aka Arkiefred. I am 73 years old and just started to smoke my pipes again after a 20 years of not smoking at all. I started smoking my pipes again last January.

I can't believe how the hobby has changed in the last few years. I am a aerobatic smoker and primarily smoke a mixture of Lane BCA and Sutliff Black Vanilla. Really enjoy reading the General Pipe Smoking Forum. Will try to participate as much as my ancient, unskilled, low tech fingers will allow.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Try Aromatic, I'm getting old and need spell check.
I kinda figured that out, afterwards. I wasn't sure...maybe a new term?....

I'm into some sort of fitness. I am not as aerobically fit as I want to be, but I do play softball and walk briskly everyday. I am doing some stretching and have begun to use some readily available items to use as weights...to strengthen my forearms and wrists...

Pipe smoking doesn't seem to hamper my ability to run the bases at all. In fact, since I've been smoking a pipe and not cigarettes, my lung capacity has increased.

fjneslage

Lurker
Dec 8, 2013
Good that you are active. So far pipe smoking hasn't caused me any shortness of breath. I try to stay active, it does make a difference. How much do you smoke per day? I generally smoke two or three bowels, mostly in the evening.

irish

Lifer
Aug 12, 2011
Texas
Welcome aboard gentlemen. You have come to the right place. Pull up a chair and light up because you won't find a better place on the planet to talk pipes, tobacco and everything related.

puffy

Lifer
Dec 24, 2010
North Carolina
Fred..Welcome from one old dude to another..I think ancient,low tech,unskilled fingers are a requirement here.Join in and have fun.

curl

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 29, 2014
Welcome to a fine forum with a great bunch of guys.

I have learned a ton here.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
How much do you smoke per day?
I find I smoke about 5 bowls a day. That could change one way or another as I become more familiar with the process.

fjneslage I bought a 14 oz. can of Sir Walter Raleigh and I don't think anybody would tell you that that was anything but a nice, steady and appealing tobacco.

fjneslage

Lurker
Dec 8, 2013
Just so you guys know, I have purchased 8 or 10 new pipes in the last 6 months. I guess I lost my mind for a while. My old ones I kept were in pretty sad shape. My new pipes are a lot better quality and smoke great.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Welcome to PM Forums Fred!
Do any of you guys have a suggestion for me, regarding a mild non aromatic tobacco I could try?
It's always tough to answer that question without knowing someone's tastes.

However, the old classics Carter Hall and Prince Albert are super easy and mild smokes.

Also, CH is a great blender. You could mix it in various amounts with the BCA ... 50/50 is a good start.
Let us know what you pick and how you liked it!

fjneslage

Lurker
Dec 8, 2013
New Broom, I started smoking Sir Walter Raleigh in the 1960'S and smoked up until I quit.......fred

Status
Not open for further replies.