PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

wisconicky

Lurker
Jan 11, 2013
Hello!
I am a newcomer to your site. Relatively new to pipe smoking (approximately 6 mos). I am a true appreciator of the vintage lifestyle and consider my pipe time to be quite enjoyable. I am fortunate to live in Columbus, OH which is home to several great pipe shops. Pipes and Pleasures has been my shop of choice due to their selection of pipes and tobacco. I started with one of their "yard pipes" ($30 basket) and was thrilled with the piece. I went on vacation for the holidays and of course the stem broke during transit. Purchased a replacement from P&P, another basket briar, this one labeled "ROMA" for about $40. So far it's okay. Not as good as my original, but still nice. Anyhow, I'm in the market for another piece and have read great things about Petersons. I'm heading over to P&P after work today to see what they've got. Not set on them, but for the value, the threads I've read seem to agree. Thoughts/differing opinions? I appreciate any and all!
Thanks!

Jul 15, 2011
Ive got four Savinellis and every one of them is well worth every penny that I paid for them. They come in a very wide variety of styles and shapes and sizes. I recently bought their Hercules Rhodesian Savinelli Hercules

(This is similar but mine is rusticated and a little cheaper), and I have the 320 shape in both the Trevi and the EX lines and they are phenomenal. Nordings are good for the price too, really good Danish style pipes, and I have had my eye on a couple of Bjarne pipes as well. Happy hunting, and welcome to the site!

uberam3rica

Lifer
Sep 7, 2011
Capac, Michigan
Welcome to the site! If the shops near you don't have what you're looking for, look at the left side of the site, and there is a list of sponsors. My personal favorite pipesandcigars.com. It's where I get almost all of my tobacco since the Closest B&M to me is an hour away.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
I have a Peterson Ebony 303 shape and love it. Lots of guys love their Petes. I will caution that people have had some quality control issues with new ones and the company has yet to address it, so before you buy, make sure it is drilled properlyand that the fit and finish of the stem and band are correct. Also make sure it has a good draw with no obstructions or whistles. Pretty much what you should do with any new pipe, anyway.
I've told others that the best new Peterson may be an old Peterson. Finding a Republic or Pre-Republic estate Pete would be a good move. Their old African Meerschaums are awesome. I bought one as an estate and love it, but I'm partial to Meerschaum.

uberam3rica

Lifer
Sep 7, 2011
Capac, Michigan
Ive got four Savinellis

Stanwell is a good company as well. I only have one Stanwell, but it never disappointing. You can also never go wrong with a few Missouri Meerschaum Corn Cobs as well. They're cheap and smoke great. You should consider getting a few cobs, that way you have several pipe so that you have a rotation going. That way you can give your pipe a rest after smoking it

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
Depending upon how savvy you are with the eBay, there are good buys to be had as well. I can reccommend the sellers Pipestud, bruyerepipes and coopersark for good reputation and products. The bay is where I got my Peterson Meerschaum $35, a Preben Holm Traditional $40, and a Gubbels Hilson $40. I aslo scored a 1969 Dunhill in great condition for $100.
The bonus to estate pipes is less break-in time, although the Dunnie was so rarely used that I'm still breaking it in!

Status
Not open for further replies.