jon11

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 25, 2013
His newest blend coming soon.

http://www.glpease.com/

kaboom

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 12, 2012
After nearly a year of working on this, I'm happy to say that Sixpence, my newest addition in the Old London Series, is scheduled to be released in early- to mid-November. I've been smoking production samples for several weeks, and am really happy with the final product. It's a bold broken flake of Virginia tobaccos, richly spiced with condimental leaf (Latakiaphobes, fear not - there's not even a whisper of the smoky stuff in the mix), and a little touch of something special to bring greater dimension to the smoking experience. As with all of my blends, it has been created to smoke wonderfully when young, but will continue to evolve beautifully over the years to come. It's been an exciting and challenging project, with dozens of prototypes being produced before zeroing in on the final formulation, but I think the results are well worth the effort. A few friends who have served as voluntary lab rats during the development not only survived the ordeal, but are as excited as I am with the results. I'll reveal more details when we're closer to the final release date, but I just couldn't contain my enthusiasm any longer. Stay tuned!
That reads suspiciously like "Moderately topped"...

Would definately purchase a tin or two if i were in the US, but living in Spain having to order Greg's stuff through interwebs means having to take a 40$ shipping hit on each order (and that's only if the package doesn't get stopped at customs) so there are plennnnnnnty of his other blends I want to try first... Will keep an ear out to see what you Americans think of Six Pence!

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
"...richly spiced with condimental leaf (Latakiaphobes, fear not - there's not even a whisper of the smoky stuff in the mix), and a little touch of something special to bring greater dimension to the smoking experience."
I'm curious as to what Greg is getting at here, I'm sure more details will follow.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
That is some kick-ass copy. Sounds enticing and yet leaves us here wondering what "condimental leaf" and "a little touch of something special" means.

kaboom

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 12, 2012
@pylons

@kaboom $40 shipping? I would think around $15 if it took the slow boat.
40$ is a bit of an exaggeration, but not by much. From 4noggins a 1 pound order of only tinned tobaccos (about 8 tins) is 33$ shipping with the slowest option (USPS priority Intl. i think), 51 bucks for express USPS shipping and right around 90 bucks if i want it fedexed... If the package gets stopped at customs though, shipping costs is the least of my concerns since the total price (tobacco+shipping) will have more than doubled by the time i'm done paying excise duty, import duties, VAT, Customs fees, and Customs' service fees. I've had it happen before...

doctorthoss

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 6, 2011
I think Greg has been straightforward about why he doesn't do many VA blends -- they aren't his personal cup of tea, as a rule. He is a Latakia lover, first and foremost, so thats where he usually goes. Plus, I think both Union Square and Opening Night are the equal of anything Gawith puts on the market. That is just my opinion, though! I don't think it has as much to do with the base leaf as it does with the types of processing used by different companies. The Gawiths and McC (the companies with the best lines of VA, I think) process their stuff in very different ways, bringing out different flavors and characteristics. I'm sure the base leaf differs some, as well, I just don't know that I think it is a question of better or worse base product.
I am curious as what that "something special" will be. The last time I think he used a phrase like that was with Maltese Falcon, leading lots of people to conclude it was topped with something when it was in fact just a different oriental leaf. Of course, Greg has thrown us some interesting topped blends in the past, so there is no telling.
I had almost gotten to the point where I thought he had done everything he could possibly do, and then he came out with Gaslight, which instantly displaced most of my Latakia rotation. I'm curious to see what he's come up with now.

andystewart

Lifer
Jan 21, 2014
Ooooh - sounds brilliant. I can't wait!
Troy - thanks for a wonderful trip down memory lane. I'm too young for rationing (although my parent's generation had that joy) but I did grow up with 'old money', including the beautiful little sixpence. That was the price of a Mars bar in the early 70s; what more could a wee boy want?!
Andy

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
This thread reminded me that I got a sample of Blend X at the CORPS show. Guess I'll have to try it this evening.

rickpal14

Lifer
Jun 9, 2011
This thread reminded me that I got a sample of Blend X at the CORPS show. Guess I'll have to try it this evening.
And then immediately post a mini review please JimInks!!!! :worship:

Status
Not open for further replies.