New GL Pease tobacco forthcoming: Virginia Cream

(47 posts)
  1. escioe

escioe

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

http://www.glpease.com/

Announced yesterday:

So, there have been hints in various places. The Lab Rats have been smoking their tails of, giving me their subsequently de-tailed reports, and on more than one occasion, very nearly spilling the beans in the dark corners of the interwebs. Something has to be said. Yes, I've been working on a few new things for a little over a year, and now that one of them is finally ready to bear fruit, I can offer a teaser of the label and name, and quell some of the rumors the Lab Rats have started.

That's the label art up there. I've still got a bit to do to finish it up, so the final appearance may be different, but it's close enough for jazz. Looks different, yes? It is. So is the blend. It required a different approach than anything I've done before, and was quite a learning experience, but I'm excited about the results, and so far, the Lab Rats have been enthusiastic over it, apart from the one I was force to throw in the moat as feed for the piranhas. It's virginia-based, hence the name, but with a little twist. More details will be revealed soon, including more accurate anticipated shipping dates, but I don't think it'll be more than a few weeks at this point. Stay tuned!

Sounds like an aromatic to me. Never thought I'd see the day.

Posted 3 years ago #
  2. prairiedruid

prairiedruid

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Hmmmm I wonder if it will be part of the October crawl!

Posted 3 years ago #
  3. perdurabo

perdurabo

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Uh Oh Pease goes Aromatic.....bet not, might be scented?

It's not my position nor want to help another man. It's his responsibility to help himself, as where he can learn to dig down deep enough to save himself. -I. Kidd
    Posted 3 years ago #
  4. uncleblackie

uncleblackie

Login to Send PM

Deer tongue?

Posted 3 years ago #
  5. jon11

jon11

Login to Send PM

Aromatic? And I was looking forward to this release, well maybe the next one

Posted 3 years ago #
  6. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I think I felt the thermostat in Hell drop a few thousand degrees.

Michael
    Posted 3 years ago #
  7. pitchfork

pitchfork

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

A Lakeland, maybe -- like Kendal Cream Flake?

Posted 3 years ago #
  8. cortezattic

Cortez

A part of the problem since he ...

Login to Send PM

Interesting name. Will be confused with Mac Baren's aromatic, Vanilla Cream (both their flake and loose cut).

I find myself sitting idly on the line dividing past and future,
    as if I could kill time without injuring eternity. -- Thoreau
    Posted 3 years ago #
  9. kcghost

kcghost

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Doesn't sound like my cup of tea.

Posted 3 years ago #
  10. lochinvar

lochinvar

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

If it is an aromatic, while not usually my thing, I will be interested to see what Pease has come up with. His stuff is quality, and an aromatic from him would be worth a try.

Posted 3 years ago #
  11. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Aromatic is too big a segment to ignore. There are enough tobacco-forward versions that even non-aro guys might, or seem to, like as a change-up. In terms of flavoring, what does cream suggest? Bristol Creme? Creamy vanilla? I guess we'll find out.

Posted 3 years ago #
  12. captainprophesy

captainprophesy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

In terms of flavoring, what does cream suggest? Bristol Creme? Creamy vanilla?
    Sour Cream?

Hmm while not my cup 'o tea I suppose I would give it a try, I mean I haven't been let down on a GLP blend... YET.

I carry a gun... because a cop is too heavy!
    Posted 3 years ago #
  13. misterlowercase

misterlowercase

Login to Send PM

Fingers crossed for a classic traditional English scented flake.

Yummy!

...and that artwork,
    stunningly beautiful and pukka proper!

Posted 3 years ago #
  14. 4nogginsmike

4nogginsmike

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

He didn't give much away than the name and genre. How many VA blends are out there? Still, it's more than what we know before. For awhile I couldn't stop emailing him, and still abuzz with having found Condor, was urging him to do something along the same lines. His objection to doing so was that it's impossible to get either SG or GH to turn loose of some of their scents. Highly highly proprietary. But in saying so he didn't say anything like "I'll never do a scented or aromatic blend." So maybe he's doing one now, and that's what he is signifying by "cream." But he could be using the word in many other ways, too.

Posted 3 years ago #
  15. User has not uploaded an avatar

frozenchurchwarden

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I would love to see Pease take on the Lakeland style. He might have to buy an entirely new set of equipment to blend it just so that it doesn't cross contaminate everything else, or maybe get Sutliff to do it, but a I couldn't think of a better man to make a floral scented American tobacco.
    I'm just not entirely sure if "Virginia Cream" is how I would label something like that. I suspect this to be more of a standard aromatic.

Posted 3 years ago #
  16. edgreen

edgreen

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Next on Greg's list is a line of tobaccos for corn cobs. The epicenter of the Earth will shift at that time and Greg and Russ will merge into the same person.

Tobacco's a musician.And in a pipe delighteth;It descends in a close,Through the organ of the nose, With a relish that inviteth.
    Barten Holiday
    Posted 3 years ago #
  17. georged

georged

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Greg is a freak. He really CAN taste a wine or tobacco and tell you what's in it, where the ingredients came from, and names of the maker's grandchildren from a single molecule sniff at 50 yards.

OK, maybe not the grandchildren's names.

Historically, he's arguably never blended a dud, and has a number of blends on the All Time Greats list for modern production so clearly knows how to apply that magic taster-smeller.

Meaning even I, who honestly, truly, and am-not-kidding have never smoked an aro in my life---not because I thought there was anything wrong with them, but simply because I started on the straight stuff, was happy with it, and never saw a need to change---intend to give Va Cream a test drive. Because I know for a fact that GLP is a driven hyper-perfectionist for whom excellence and quality are everything, and if HE'S satisfied with it, it's gotta be something special. (He never brings a blend to market just because he has time invested in it or an emotional connection to an idea, he abandons blend experiments all the time.)

I'm rather eager for that test drive, in fact. (Which feels sort of weird after 41 years, but there you go. )

Dogs live such short lives... and spend most it waiting for us to come home
    Posted 3 years ago #
  18. seacaptain

seacaptain

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Just goes to show you, you can't pease everyone.

Posted 3 years ago #
  19. arno665

arno665

Login to Send PM

Interesting! I wonder if it is going to taste like Dan Tobacco's Gold of Mysore

Posted 3 years ago #
  20. mortonbriar

mortonbriar

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Well, i am sure it will be the cream of the crop.

Isaac

I don't really care if the cup is half full or half empty, I just want something to sip on.
    Posted 3 years ago #
  21. misterlowercase

misterlowercase

Login to Send PM

Historically, he's arguably never blended a dud, and has a number of blends on the All Time Greats list for modern production so clearly knows how to apply that magic taster-smeller.

Meaning even I, who honestly, truly, and am-not-kidding have never smoked an aro in my life---not because I thought there was anything wrong with them, but simply because I started on the straight stuff, was happy with it, and never saw a need to change---intend to give Va Cream a test drive. Because I know for a fact that GLP is a driven hyper-perfectionist for whom excellence and quality are everything, and if HE'S satisfied with it, it's gotta be something special. (He never brings a blend to market just because he has time invested in it or an emotional connection to an idea, he abandons blend experiments all the time.)

Well said.

I totally agree.

My favorite aspect about Pease's blending is how he can develop totally new genres, being a thing unique to itself, yet in many cases heavily informed from the historic past, interpreting classic profiles and tweaking them into uncharted new territories, and all done with a deep sense of love - a deep love of tobacco that shines through and gives the blend a palpable soul.

He seems to passionately and very seriously thrust his entire being into making a blend, madly intent on pushing the envelope, which he has succeeded in doing numerous times, redefining boundaries and evolving with a hyper-aware sense of forward motion, pushing from the past into the future.

Some of this is achieved with the incredible nuance many of his blends have, like magical shapeshifters in uncanny transmogrification as the smoke swirls, something akin to alchemy, and conjuring such wizardry seems to be his forte, the intense attention to minutia which when actually smoked can amplify into otherworldly delight, no doubt his Dark Lord moniker is well earned, as he is a highly adept leafy druid, and his skills have been well-honed into an incredibly sharp edge.

All that said,

aromatic or scented or whatever,
    the new blend sounds great to me and I'm eager to try it.

I dig the name too,
    The Virgina Cream.

That little "the" adds so much and somehow carries a weight,
    similar to how some little something in one of his blends can create larger explosions than one would expect, so small as to perhaps not even be aware of it or initially notice that aspect, yet feeling the full force of its presence unfold with a grand splendor.

Magick!

Posted 3 years ago #
  22. northernneil

northernneil

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I will grab a couple of tins for the cellar, definitely.

Can't say that I get "aromatic" from the very brief description, I just read "different." Either way, I love Virginia's, and have been very impressed with the Pease Tobaccos I have smoked to date!

Posted 3 years ago #
  23. cortezattic

Cortez

Login to Send PM

The flowery looking leaves on the label may be suggestive of the flavoring or topping.

Posted 3 years ago #
  24. derfargin

derfargin

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Perhaps you are getting too literal. This is a Straight VA using some of the best VA leaves he can get. I.e "The cream of the crop"

There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary, and those who don't.
    Posted 3 years ago #
  25. misterlowercase

misterlowercase

Login to Send PM

GLP said:

Looks different, yes?
    It is.
    So is the blend.
    It required a different approach than anything I've done before, and was quite a learning experience, but I'm excited about the results

This is gonna definitely be worth checking out!

Posted 3 years ago #
  26. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The flowery looking leaves on the label may be suggestive of the flavoring or topping.

I was thinking that by the color choices and the type used on the label that it just might be a reincarnation of Sugar Barrel. #overthinkmuch

Posted 3 years ago #
  27. misterlowercase

misterlowercase

Login to Send PM

#livecream

:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hH_YhoULx4A

Posted 3 years ago #
  28. griffonwing

griffonwing

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

In terms of flavoring, what does cream suggest? Bristol Creme? Creamy vanilla? I guess we'll find out.

Bryl Cream? A little dottle'll do ya..

Hoody Hoo! Roll for Initiative, Monkey-boy!
    Posted 3 years ago #
  29. cortezattic

Cortez

Login to Send PM

Posted 3 years ago #
  30. disinformatique

The Pipe Monk

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

GLP will rather stop making blends than blend an aromatic. Just because it says "cream" doesn't mean it's an Aromatic. Jeez guys stop being obvious.

Albert Einstein was once quoted as saying, “I believe that pipe smoking contributes to a somewhat calm and objective judgment in all human affairs.” One of the reasons behind this statement is that pipe smoking is meant to be a slow leisurely activity. It takes patience to smoke a pipe. Unlike cigarettes and cigars, there is a certain amount of technique to smoking a pipe. Where cigars and cigarettes can just be picked up, lit and puffed on, pipes require the development of a technique in order to get the best smoking experience.
    Posted 3 years ago #
  31. georged

georged

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

GLP will rather stop making blends than blend an aromatic. Just because it says "cream" doesn't mean it's an Aromatic. Jeez guys stop being obvious.

Actually, broadly speaking, it is. How do I know? I just now got off the phone with Greg and VC is the main thing we talked about. It is indeed an aro.

NOT a cloying, goopy one, understand---he found a way to create and layer flavors without taking the usual aro route of heavy casing---but measured by taste, the profile is sweeter and more fragrant than can be achieved with straight leaf.

Posted 3 years ago #
  32. misterlowercase

misterlowercase

Login to Send PM

In my personal lexicon, I will probably refer to T.V.C. as a "scented virginia" if classification is ever needed suchwise,
    just because "aro" has so many negative connotations.

btw
    I think it was primarily the Danes back in the day who are responsible for those negative connotations?
    Didn't they sort of invent the "continental blend" style of goopy aromatics?

Posted 3 years ago #
  33. northernneil

northernneil

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

So has anyone heard any update when this new blend will be released? I am holding off on my TAD purchases until this one hits the market as I want to make sure it is included in my order.

Posted 3 years ago #
  34. stanlaurel

stanlaurel

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Isn't F&T CVP sort of Vanilla Creme-like? It may be a similar flake.

Posted 3 years ago #
  35. deathmetal

deathmetal

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Aromatic is too big a segment to ignore.

Simple truth... kind of like "light" cigarettes, an important market segment.

Maybe it'll be good. If not, I'll mix it with this Mac Baren "Modern Virginia" and store it for when the Russo-Chinese invasion happens.

"My own experience has been that the tools I need for my trade are paper, tobacco, food, and a little whiskey." -- William Faulkner

The Metal Mixtures
    Posted 3 years ago #
  36. edgreen

edgreen

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

If not, I'll mix it with this Mac Baren "Modern Virginia" and store it for when the Russo-Chinese invasion happens.

You sure that hasn't happened already?

Posted 3 years ago #
  37. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thanks, mlc, for the Cream reminder. I'm so glad! My Spoonful is only 6 minutes or so..... We'll soon find out whether this blend is a strange brew or not!

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 3 years ago #
  38. sallow

sallow

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I still have to try sixpence, navigator, and gaslight.

I'm so far behind.

Posted 3 years ago #
  39. glpease

glpease

Lord Latakia

Login to Send PM

So, the labels are at the printer's, and production is being scheduled. I'm pretty excited about this one. It's so different for me, but I've been loving every bowl of the prototype…

Film at eleven.

Posted 3 years ago #
  40. aristokles

aristokles

Login to Send PM

Recalling that Greg owns half of the Two Friends brand and it has some very nice aromatics, I would not fret over such speculation for a Pease aromatic under his sole name, if this is one.

Posted 3 years ago #
  41. northernneil

northernneil

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the update Greg. I can hardly contain my excitement!

Posted 3 years ago #
  42. User has not uploaded an avatar

critter

Login to Send PM

It looks like it shipped today

Posted 3 years ago #
  43. okiescout

okiescout

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Ordering a tin on my next P&C order. It is in stock.

"Work as if you were to live a hundred years. Pray as if you were to die tomorrow."
    Benjamin Franklin
    Posted 3 years ago #
  44. shaintiques

shaintiques

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I ordered a tin and should have it in a few days, I'll post my findings.

I know what I need, smoke, I can't recall the last time I tasted it....Gandalf in the mines of Moria.

"we shall have to share pipes, as good friends must at a pinch'....'I keep a treasure or two near my skin, as precious as rings to me. Here's one: my old wooden pipe. And here's another an unused one...He held up a small pipe with a wide flattened bowl, and handed it to Gimli. 'Does that settle the score between us', said Merry. 'Most noble hobbit, it leaves me deep in your debt."
    Posted 3 years ago #
  45. okiescout

okiescout

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

2 Tins ordered today!

Posted 3 years ago #
  46. stbruno70

stbruno70

Login to Send PM

I've just ordered some tins of it myself, as my pre-production sample is almost gone.

It is subtle stuff - nothing like in-your-face bubble gum double mocha tutti frutti maple syrup candy floss embalmed in humectants.

Mason,Vice President
    Golden Gate Pipe Club
    Posted 3 years ago #
  47. arno665

arno665

Login to Send PM

I think it was primarily the Danes back in the day who are responsible for those negative connotations?
    Didn't they sort of invent the "continental blend" style of goopy aromatics?

*Ahem* Don't forget the sweet Dutch

On topic: I also ordered 2 tins today. The dark lord goes arom.... I mean, the dark lord goes scented Virginia Who does not want to try that?

Posted 3 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   lestrout, ajohnb, scrumpyjack, weezell, canadianpuffer, jiminks, sablebrush52, dmcmtk, chilllucky, brl25, marc75, pipesinperu