PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

nukesimi

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 25, 2016
Now that new blends have started trickling in from the likes of C&D and others, where’s Greg on this? More plugs and flakes please.

grimpuffer

Can't Leave
Aug 29, 2016
I’d like to see what Mr. Pease has up his sleeve.
I agree it seems we are seeing some newer stuff show up so I’d definitely be excited to try some more of his blends as I’d guess 50% of my cellar are GL Pease

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
From what I know Mr. Pease's blends are carefully blended to deliver both primary and secondary flavors; he sweats the details. I wonder if he's blending at all given FDA. Why labor to blend something new when he probably won't be able to sell it? If you go to his website he shows what part of his oeuvre will be banished if the axe falls at 2007. A lot of blends.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Maybe some are creating and marketing new blends in hopes there will be delay or loopholes that will allow them through. Or maybe to accommodate a run on blends before the ax falls. If blending is your art, I guess that's what you do, and let the devil take the hindmost (whatever that means).

brightleaf

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 4, 2017
I looked up the reference saltedplug mentioned concerning G.L. Pease's website. I copied and pasted it here:
Blends produced after the Deeming Date

8 October 2016
I've been asked many times which of my blends are subject to future regulation, now that the new FDA have stuck their regulatory noses into our little corner of the world. Basically, anything not already in production on the so-called deeming date of 15 March 2007 will have to be demonstrated to be "substantially equivalent" to those made previously. It's unclear whether or not we'll be able to navigate our way through the flaming hoops put in our path, but the following blends are at risk, and may disappear in a couple years. I'll keep you advised as we get closer to what I consider the apocalypse for these blends, many of which are among my own personal faves. This will also be updated on the Unabridged List as we get closer to FD-day.
Embarcadero

Union Square

Maltese Falcon

The Virginia Cream

Key Largo

The entire Old London Series

The entire New World Collection

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
I guess that's what you do, and let the devil take the hindmost (whatever that means)
The phrase is a bit easier to understand when you see it in its full context:

“Everyman for himself and the devil take the hindmost”.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
When I spoke with Greg about this last year at the WCPS, he said that he was moving on to a new creative venture. I would imagine he would create more blends if the whole FDA deeming process went away, but not otherwise. There are no new blends being marketed. The "new" blends you see were in legal existence before last year's cut-off.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
In the face of all the pipe tobacco overdose deaths, I can understand the FDA regs ... sadly unnecessary. I've not quite "gotten" the GLP blends I've tried, just a few, but I might have to lay in a tin of Key Largo for my weakness for well-crafted blends with cigar leaf. I'm glad Greg has moved on to another creative endeavor. A number of blenders are multi-talented. I guess the pipe smokers will just have to innovate mixes of their own in cereal bowls kept by their pipe racks. A little of this and some of that, a few bowls at a time, for excitement and variation. But most of us aren't ever going to be accomplished blenders nor set up with heavy duty presses and ovens for leaf. It would have been impressive and intelligent if FDA had looked at the pipe smoking community as a separate entity, but as we know, that would not happen in this universe.

Status
Not open for further replies.