Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I'm a big fan of the GBD 9438 and I have nine models in the various finishes, including one City De Luxe. This "Super Flame" was listed on Ebay last week, a line I have never seen or heard of. I have some documents listing the various GBD lines, but there is absolutely no reference to a "Super Flame". GBD's are great pipes, but they just don't have good grain, being machine made. The grain on this one looked really nice as was the condition. I made an off-Ebay deal for the pipe, which is always a little risky. The seller, "provincetradingco" had an excellent reputation and a large number of sales, typically in high end goods. Oddly, when he pulled down the sale, he changed the picture to a generic "old pipe" and the description. I was plenty nervous and quite relived to open the FedEx package and find the 9438 exactly as advertised.
The pipe is in excellent condition, with just a few handling marks. The stem is immaculate. The grain on this one is equal to my James Upshall B grade pipe. I may try and hold out smoking it until Christmas Day...

martiniman

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 6, 2012
I was watching that pipe from the time it was listed, I could not discern the size so I let it go. It looked beefy. I glad it found a good home. Congrats.

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
Al - purdy, dat. Why don't you compromise and inaugurate that chubby at the KW XMas event? BTW, I didn't realize GBD Super Flames were so undocumented. I got a nice SP dawg in the 549E.
hp

les

rockvillepete

Might Stick Around
Feb 21, 2013
What a beauty Al! Funny, I just picked up a New Standard 9438 last week with some very nice birdseye but this one is just gorgeous! Congrats!

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Al - purdy, dat. Why don't you compromise and inaugurate that chubby at the KW XMas event? BTW, I didn't realize GBD Super Flames were so undocumented. I got a nice SP dawg in the 549E.
hp

les
Thanks guys.
Les:I am considering that, but I hate breaking in a new-to-me pipe at an event. I yak too much and don't pay enough attention to the pipe! At any rate, it will make the trip
Rockville Pete: New Standard GBD's are supposed to be mid-grade, but I found a lot of them to be have quite nice briar (I had two New Stanard 9438's, sold one for a better version).
I still aspire to a New Era 9438 and a Virgin with a vulcanite stem (I have a perspex Virgin)

May 31, 2012
Congrats on such a fine example.
It certainly found its way to the right home,

your collection of 9438's is grand,

and your love and enthusiasm is inspirational!

:puffy: :clap: :puffy:

:clap: :puffy: :clap:

:puffy: :clap: :puffy:

:clap: :puffy: :clap:

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
That's quite a find, Al. What a great addition to your collection. Rhodesians in general, never mind GBD's, rarely have nice straight grain. That one is doubly rare. Congrats.

rockymtnsmoker

Can't Leave
May 31, 2013
That is a beaut! Aside from the shape of the shank, though, is that more Bulldog than Rhodesian? What are the other factors that differentiate the two? Regardless, I love that shape and will be on the lookout. Happy puffing.

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
That is a real looker, Al! I normally prefer square shanks to round, but this one is making a very good argument for round. Beautiful!
I have a GBD Midnight with a square shank (but it's too tall to be a bulldog in my opinion) and a beautifully marbled lucite stem that is a great smoker. If like to get a bent bulldog. Any suggestions on what I should look for? I know little to nothing about GBD grades and shapes.
-Jason

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Rockymtn: The 9438 is generally known as a Rhodesian (bulldogs, to me have diamond shanks).
Peck: You never know with GBD's, this one with "London, England" straight line stamping and the brass rondell was made before the merger with Cadogan in 1981 (when they went to a stamped stem logo)
Jason: The 549, to me is the classic GBD Bulldog. Here's one I restored and sold, I haven't found another one in that shape, so one I wish I'd have kept...

http://rebornpipes.wordpress.com/2012/11/18/gbd-bulldog-549-new-standard-restoration/
Btw, this one is approximately 55 grams, within a few grams of my other 9438's (I'll weight it on a digital scale this week for a more precise measurement)

rmason

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 27, 2013
Al that is a great GBD, congrats and hope is xmokes well for you.

~Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.