PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

porcellino

Lurker
Mar 28, 2018
Hello, one and all.

I am a New Zealander, retired from business at age fifty and now just playing the role of 'gentleman farmer'/tobacco grower on the west coast of our North Island.

I'm not, strictly speaking, a regular pipe-smoker, though I have imbibed for varying periods in the past.

I am, however, a user of tobacco and grow and process around 100kg (220lbs)of tobacco each year, which is (illegally) gifted to or traded with, friends. (At NZ$1600/kg - US$513 per pound) it's worth running the gauntlet. (We're allowed to legally grow,strictly for personal use, 15kg/33lb per year.)

I've joined with the idea that I might just learn something here, and as a result of a recommendation from a fellow-member of this and a similar website, Fair Trade Tobacco.

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
Kia ora,

I am living in Canada right now, but moving back to New Zealand at the end of the year.

Welcome to the forum, and I would love to pick your brain about growing in NZ for next year!
Isaac

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
Welcome to the forum porcellino. I'm curious about how home growers process the dried leaf as I imagine growing tobacco and curing tobacco are completely different skills, yet equally important.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Welcome aboard.
What kinds of tobacco are you growing, and how are you processing it? If you’re ever looking for taste testers, I’d be more than happy to volunteer.
I’m in Auckland, heading up to Paihia for the long weekend, but the family does love to explore. We only arrived in NZ in January.
Feel free to toss me a PM if you’re coming down this way and want to connect, or if you just wanna talk tobacco.
Cheers,
— Pat

porcellino

Lurker
Mar 28, 2018
I'm too new to the Forum to know the conventions in replying to multiple comments.

So, in reply to those, above -
Isaac The NZ climate is conducive to growing almost all types of tobacco. Most districts have, at least, a six month frost-free window. And, provided you start seed early in September (early Spring) and plant out in early November, you will have plenty of warm dry weather left to easily air-dry Burley or Maryland varieties.

If you're keen on having a go at growing

I don't classify myself as any sort of expert but I'd always be prepared to give my opinion, if asked.There is quite a lot to be learned in order to engage in the whole growing/processing operation but it's fairly simple and easily achieved once you've learned how.
Dot; Your question really would take quite some time to answer. Suffice it to say that I just look on both the growing and processing aspects as one seamless operation.

I've hardly read anything in here yet but from the comments, above, I'm assuming that there are very few other growers active in the Forum. This I can well understand because if good tobacco could be bought here in NZ at a reasonable price I don't think I'd be growing it either - frankly, I'd rather be off fishing.
Pat I grow all three 'families' of tobacco - Virginia (bright-leaf), Burley/Maryland, and Turkish/Oriental. This year the Virginia I grew was Virginia 116, Virginia Gold and Golden Wilt. The only Burley grew was Yellow Twist Bud, and Catterton (like burley but strictly speaking, a Maryland). Turkish I grew was Black Sea Samsun and Prilep.

How do I process the three different types? For the Virginias I flue-cure them in a large chiller box (10 foot cube) that I have converted. It turns ripe green leaf into cured, dried golden in six days.

For the burleys I air-dry (ie colour cure) in an airy barn. This takes about five weeks, depending on the weather. Following this I 'force age' it in a fermenting chamber for about four weeks. (If you don't do this, natural aging takes at least a year).

The Turkish varieties are sun-cured in a small glasshouse. These can also be hurried along by fermenting or just left close-stacked, to age naturally.
I hope this helps.
(I'm still trying to work out how to post pictures in here).

Status
Not open for further replies.