Pipes Magazine » General Pipe Smoking Discussion

Tags:  No tags yet. 

New friend

(37 posts)
  1. dervis

dervis

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

New guy here, have read what feels like hundreds of postings here. Finally had something happen that just had to share.
    [b]
    I smoked cigs for about 5 years now, but in the last 6 months switched over to pipes. I have to admit the reason for the jump was price analysis. Simply put 50 dollars a week goes a lot further in pipe tobacco (however at my start was unaware of PAD, so now just breaking even it seems). Modest collection of 4 basket briars , 1 corncob, and 1 meer so far.

I started smoking my pipes at work on breaks and lunch about 2 months ago. And although it is in good humor my smoking buddies every day stream out their jokes about pipes. The classics are, “What you smoking in that” and followed by “Glad you made it today grandpa” even though I am only 26. I work for a Korean company and within the last month we have gotten a new big boss of the company. He is a recluse and with his broken English, scowl, and suits worth more than my first truck, an intimidating individual. Didn’t help he fired 10 people in his first week here. Yesterday while smoking at lunch in the ridicule circle , all of a sudden we hear a banging on the window. Our new boss is tapping on said window and pointing at our group, and with some hand gestures narrowed down to pointing at me. I am a loud mouth , opinionated individual so naturally began thinking how big a box I would need to clean out my desk. The new boss rushes outside to me and through broken sentences and again hand gestures I figure out he wants my tobacco! I handed him my bag of Vanilla Cordial (bought from my local shop) and he pulls out a bent bulldog and crams it full. The faces of my buddies was just one of awe. The best part is every 2 or 3 hours that day he dropped by my desk for a refill and insisted I join him outside. Although our smoking sessions were quite ones, still I get to enjoy a few more puffs so fine by me. This morning as I get to my desk to find a unmarked bag of tobacco ,the smell is wonderful but outside my novice identification skills , and a typed out note that just reads THANKS.

Looks like I made a new friend.

"You have to be a man first before you're a gentleman. "

John Wayne
    Posted 7 years ago #
  2. dhizzy

dhizzy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

That's a cool story man. Not what you expected huh?

By the eternal! There is a man whose form should be cast in deathless bronze and the statue placed in every college in the land. It is not book-learning young men need, nor instruction about this and that, but a stiffening of the vertebrae which will cause them to be loyal to a trust, to act promptly, concentrate their energies; do the thing - "carry a message to Garcia!" Elbert Hubbard "A Message to Garcia" 1899
    Posted 7 years ago #
  3. maduroman

maduroman

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

see, smoking pipes has an advantage....

in my case it has kept me out of prison.

Posted 7 years ago #
  4. matchstickman

Pipe Novelist

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I tried smoking a pipe at work once. Mind you, I live in the middle of stoner country. I was sitting on the side of the building when some doped up teenagers saw me, then started giggling and pointing. I later found out that word got back to my boss the next morning that I was smoking pot next to the building on my break. I assured her that it was not pot and that, despite what these idiots think, there are still people under the age of 50 who smoke a pipe.

Posted 7 years ago #
  5. ejames

ejames

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Great story! Welcome to the forum! Now you may have a way to butter up the boss!

Posted 7 years ago #
  6. pipeinhand

pipeinhand

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

First of all, welcome to the fray.

Second, it is nice to see something as simple as a pipe can bridge gaps, in status, culture and language. Keep puff'n.

“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of
    anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life,
    nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.”
    Posted 7 years ago #
  7. kf5eqv

kf5eqv

Login to Send PM

That's a cool story man, glad things worked out so well for you.

Dum tempus habemus, operemur bonum
    Posted 7 years ago #
  8. ace57

ace57

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Welcome and that is a great story.

U.S.M.C. (SEMPER FI)
    Posted 7 years ago #
  9. spartan

Spartan

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Seriously cool story man. Looks like you got your foot in with the new boss.

Next step... Learn his language. Fast.

That is if you want to move up that is. Always a plus to have some additional languages under your belt.

And welcome to the forums!

"I was born to lose. So I'll die to win." -Breaking Benjamin
    Posted 7 years ago #
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Awesome. Next thing you know you guys will be tipping back rice wine on lunch shooting Mosin Nagant's in the parking lot.

Can someone say hellllllllo President of Sales Mr. Dervis

Posted 7 years ago #
  11. mluyckx

BelgianTex

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thanks for sharing the story. It is neat indeed. At my previous job, there was only two pipe smokers. Since I left, I guess he's alone

something as a simple pipe can bridge gaps, in status, culture and language

+1

"The fact is, squire, the moment a man takes to a pipe, he becomes a philosopher. It's the poor man's friend; it calms the mind, soothes the temper, and makes a man patient under difficulties. It has made more good men, good husbands, kind masters, indulgent fathers, than any other blessed thing on this universal earth."
    -"Sam Slick, the clockmaker" aka T.C.Haliburton
    Posted 7 years ago #
  12. nsfisher

nsfisher

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

welcome mate. good story, now make sure u always have a little extra baccy at work just in case boss forgits his

If at first you don't succeed, have another bowl.
    Posted 7 years ago #
  13. smokenscotch

smokenscotch

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Excellent story and welcome to the forum!

Posted 7 years ago #
  14. jameral

jameral

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

That is just way cool, thanks for sharing. Welcome to the forum.

Know your limits but always push the envelope.

I don't trust air I can't see.
    Posted 7 years ago #
  15. uberam3rica

Uberam3rica

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thats awesome. Id like to have seen your buddies faces when the boss came out to smoke with you

espite what these idiots think, there are still people under the age of 50 who smoke a pipe

Hell I'm 18 and I smoke a pipe

As long as I got a pipe full of baccy and a nose full of snuff, I'm a happy camper
    Cigarettes are an addiction, cigars are a hobby, pipes are a religion
    Posted 7 years ago #
  16. docrx

docrx

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Welcome and a great feelgood story to boot.

It is impossible to tickle yourself
    Posted 7 years ago #
  17. aussielass

aussielass

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

You'll be Assistant Manager in no time at all!

Stats: Female "Proud Pretty Pipe" Smoker, lover of all things aromatic, especially mens' armpits!
    Technophobic fool who can't work out how to invite friends, so if you want to be mates with moi, you'll need to do the legwork involved, but only if you have a great SOH and don't dump on others!
    Posted 7 years ago #
  18. mushjoon

mushjoon

Login to Send PM

As a 100% pure-blooded Korean, I find this story rather amusing. When I go back to Korea for a summer break, I see people smoking only cigarettes and that's it. Not even a freakin' cigar in a place like bar, for example. I'm highly sure that some people might ask me if I'm smoking "the good shit" - and I hear this question every time because I live in the heart of democrats and hipsters, Ann Arbor, MI.

But I digress. That's one of the coolest stories I have ever encountered.

Posted 7 years ago #
  19. tokerpipes

tokerpipes

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Now you know what to get him for christmas. welcome to the forum. keep posting.

If you can't pack it, light it, and smoke it then why do it. It's a dieing art that must be rekindled in all of us as fortold by our forefathers.

Words to live by for all pipe smokers.
    Posted 7 years ago #
  20. dervis

dervis

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I posted this with some curiosity. Are these guys/gals really this nice , or do I just read posts where everyone is in a good mood? Well the question has been answered and thanks to everyone. This site really does come across as a community. As someone who is on the net reading junk for 10plus hours a day , this really is a breath of fresh air. Or rather as refreshing as a good sip of a pipe.

Posted 7 years ago #
  21. reichenbach

reichenbach

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

You should push for a special advisory position: Vice President of Pipe Smoking Operations or Executive Pipe Liaison or Deputy Minister of Briar.

Posted 7 years ago #
  22. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

I think you just acquired some job security (but don't let that mouth outrun your tobacco gifts!).

Al

Posted 7 years ago #
  23. peteguy

peteguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

That is freaking awesome!! Thanks for posting.

Posted 7 years ago #
  24. philip

Philip

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Looks like I made a new friend.

All kinds of people smoke pipes and I wouldn't ordinarily pick them all for friends, but it's amazing how a pipe can bring otherwise dissimilar people into an instant friendship.

Welcome to the forum, dervis. I'm sure you will make a few more friends here.

Posted 7 years ago #
  25. spartan

Spartan

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I posted this with some curiosity. Are these guys/gals really this nice , or do I just read posts where everyone is in a good mood? Well the question has been answered and thanks to everyone. This site really does come across as a community. As someone who is on the net reading junk for 10plus hours a day , this really is a breath of fresh air. Or rather as refreshing as a good sip of a pipe.

Dear Mr. Dervis,

Let me first start off by saying you are too kind. If you have only read a few hundred posts then you missed the ones where the forums engage in 24/hour civil wars! Keep digging through the archives because most of those threads are still there. Just look for anything that is [CLOSED] besides the "What are you smoking (month)" threads.

They are some of the (at first glance) funniest meanderings of all time.

Happy Smoking. And remember; Pipe smokers are angry too... sometimes. Never during a pipe though.

Posted 7 years ago #
  26. pufferissimo

pufferissimo

Login to Send PM

Great story Dervis, and welcome

Here in Indonesia, we had multiple ox expat bosses. The key to get into Korean people, business and culture is through drinks and their foods.

So, next order of the business is to invite him over a meal (preferably korean ones), hard-liquor (soju) while having a puff or two.

Good luck, and keep us posted on how it goes!

Posted 7 years ago #
  27. buster

buster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yes good story! Obviously I enjoy pipe tobacco and all. I also find Korean food and culture fascinating! Some of the food is brilliant, some of it is a challenge for even me. Careful if you go out drinking with the boss. Soju can sneak up on your ass! Bring money for a cab bro.

Think slow, act fast.
    Posted 7 years ago #
  28. logandow

logandow

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

cool story bro

A man without a pipe is a man unprepared
    Posted 7 years ago #
  29. batdemon

batdemon

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Welcome to the forum and thaks for sharing a great story.

Posted 7 years ago #
  30. baronsamedi

baronsamedi

Black House Whore

Login to Send PM

I lived in Korea for a yer and most people smoked the local brand of cigs "88"s . I na=ever saw a pipe smoker either. I made Korean friends by bumming them my Camel cigs, which they really liked.

Here's a site on Korean etiquette. It's even got a section on business.

http://www.culturecrossing.net/basics_business_student.php?id=110

Proud Member of the Blackblood Society Photobucket
    Posted 7 years ago #
  31. mluyckx

BelgianTex

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Careful if you go out drinking with the boss. Soju can sneak up on your ass!

True words. And so does warm Sake, Jenever, Bai Jiu,.... Nuff' said

Posted 7 years ago #
  32. frtimmyd

frtimmyd

Login to Send PM

Being able to connect over a pipe is something special indeed. Welcome to the forum and keep the great stories coming.

Posted 7 years ago #
  33. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Enjoyed your story, welcome.

Posted 7 years ago #
  34. foxinabox

foxinabox

Login to Send PM

Tobacco: bridging language-gaps since 1492

Posted 7 years ago #
  35. rigmedic1

rigmedic1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Great story! Thanks for sharing.

Posted 7 years ago #
  36. User has not uploaded an avatar

cburke111

Login to Send PM

that's a great story friend

Posted 7 years ago #
  37. portascat

portascat

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Don't forget to reply-in-kind to the gift of tobacco! He introduced you to something new, now it is your turn.

And, unless your boss is North Korean, he won't be shooting any Mosin nagants, which were a gift of the Russians and Chinese.

He might, however, be familiar with a Daewoo K-2, which is as fine a weapon as one can find.

"To seek freedom is the only driving force I know. Freedom to fly off into that infinity out there."
    Posted 7 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   newportpipe, litup, k9shag, ravkesef, mikestanley, lawdawg, gatorlope, laniromee, nunnster, ben88, pianopuffer