PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

seitz55

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 6, 2013
I have been off the forum for quite awhile and I was wondering if this is a bad time to get back into pipe tobacco because of the new FDA rules?

bryguysc

Can't Leave
Feb 4, 2015
It is NEVER a bad time to get back into pipe tobacco!

Come on in. The water's fine!

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
I'm gonna have to disagree. The water is not fine. The water apparently causes cancer and is under the purview of an overreaching FDA... so... come on it, the water is a carcinogen and be ready to get taxed. :)

bryguysc

Can't Leave
Feb 4, 2015
I'm gonna have to disagree. The water is not fine.
Lol! Well, yeah. When you put it that way. :)

The water is hazardous to our health, and we must be protected from it.
So, come on it. Swim while you can!

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

I think for the average pipe smoking consumer that things seem to be about the same as they always have been with exception to a ton of speculation about what is going to happen. In fact, right now it might be better for the pipe smoking consumer because of fear and speculation about what is going happen. A couple things I've noticed is that pipes seem to be selling for a little less than usual with so many people choosing to hoard tobacco right now instead of buying pipes, and pipe tobacco prices remain steady and in fact have recently dropped in the case of Mac Baren (who would have guessed). The only current downfall that I have seen as a result of the FDA announcement (simply as a pipe smoking consumer) is that some blends are either unavailable or are becoming unavailable after being bought up before they are no longer available. I'm sure I'll see some warning labels soon and free samples are a thing of the past, but otherwise as a consumer I haven't experienced much as a result of the FDA; at least yet, and most likely the biggest change will be less choice. I certainly feel bad for those in the industry down the stretch. I think things have probably been good for many this year in regards to pipe tobacco sales, but moving forward over the next couple years will probably require some tough decisions to be made as to how to navigate the FDA regulations while trying to maintain a business. I think people are preparing for the worst, but I think the mainstay players in the industry will adjust to the FDA and be okay unless Congress were to increase the taxes on pipe tobacco and/or go after internet sales. The FDA definitely changed the reality for small businesses, as some are already leaving or are planning to leave the industry. Just my two cents, which is only worth one cent in most countries.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
+1 with mothernature.
As someone who started smoking a pipe in the early 1970's, my perspective on all of this is a bit different than newer smokers. We have something like 6000+ blends available according to the estimates I've read. When I started, there might have been 100 - 200 blends, or possibly a lot less than that based on memories of a few longer term smokers who have corresponded with me on the topic. People enjoyed smoking pipes back then, just as they do now. We didn't experience any sense of deprivation back then. There were basic aromatics - cherry, vanilla, rum or other booze, OTC codger blends, some excellent Virginias, Va/Pers, and English/Balkan blends. We'll more than likely have between 1000 and 2000 blends left, assuming this legislation stands up to lawsuits, press scrutiny, and attacks by anti-smoking groups who hate it almost as much as we do (surprise!).
There will be plenty of tobacco options available after August 8, 2018.
The biggest concern is artisanal pipe carving, which will be forced to stop, and some other kinds of pipe making, apparently including some cobs.
But it's also important to remember that we don't know what will happen, only what might happen, in the future. Right now there are plenty of blends available, so hop on in and enjoy yourself!

seitz55

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 6, 2013
Thanks alot guys for your helpful opinions, you have put my mind at ease. I will definitely be coming back to the pipe tobacco community.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I just can't believe that pipe carvers will get the shaft. Don't want to believe it. But I fear it. Meanwhile, I think I'll order another from a top carver.

pagan

Lifer
May 6, 2016
West Texas
Thanks alot guys for your helpful opinions, you have put my mind at ease. I will definitely be coming back to the pipe tobacco community
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Good, don't let the bastards win

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
No legal mind here, but I think the pipe carver case could be pretty strong, although perhaps not for those who are established enough to do it as a living. Even during prohibition, you could make wine and beer for your own use, and for guests and family. I worry more about the remaining factory pipe manufacturers in the U.S. like Dr. Grabow and Missouri Meerschaum. I guess they might hang on by making what they were making in 2007, which is a good array. Likewise with blends. I'm studying some of the older lines of blends to see what I've missed over the years by following emerging enthusiasms for new blends.

deatobacco

Lurker
Apr 23, 2016
I'm new to pipe smoking (since March of this year), and I agree with other posters who say that this is still a wonderful time for pipe tobacco. I have thoroughly enjoyed it so far, and intend to do so as long as I can. I think sablebrush52 makes some great points, although I'm still hopeful, perhaps naively so, that most of the post-2007 blends will be able to stay around through the stroke of the pen or the gavel in the courts. We will see about that. My only regret is that I don't have more time and money to explore the rich tobacco offerings of the pipe community. :)

seitz55

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 6, 2013
Does anyone know if Tewksbury and Company's Hobbits Weed has been around before 2007? If not, I will be buying alot of it to cellar.

seitz55

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 6, 2013
Thanks for the info cossackjack. Friday I will be buying two pounds of Hobbits Weed.

Status
Not open for further replies.