PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

octavius

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 15, 2011
I am truly conflicted. As a true believer in individual freedom I say government is over-stepping the bounds of democratic-style governance, which is to say I believe that Americans are informed enough to make their own decisions regarding their tobacco habits. Although, I admire when government takes an active role in improving social conditions. I am sorry to have brought politics into the forums, but I need a bit of discourse to help me determine my position.
ArticleI was wondering what everyone thought of the FDA's new labels that will take effect in September 2012.

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
If everyone was jumping off a cliff ..... . Insurance companys only want healthy people there is more profit in it . Next up soda pop or is it salt I forget sometimes . No No No it is my kids school lunch , silly me . :crazy:

Nov 14, 2009
Flowery Branch, GA
No no no, it's coffee....or is it wine and other alcohol...no, that's not it either. It's something like LIFE...Oh crap, we're all screwed :roll:
I understand informed decisions, but that's just obscene.

sjpipesmoker

Lifer
Apr 17, 2011
They sould make alcohol producers put pictured of smashed cars and mangled bodies on their products.

I don't think there is anyone who smokes and thinks that there aren't any consenquences, wether it's cigars, pipes or cigarettes. They choose to target us (people who smoke tobacco) because they can.

collindow

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 15, 2010
Portland, OR
My oh my. And the comments...sometimes I miss the good ol' days.
And by the good ol' days, I mean 40 years before I was born, the 50s. When men were men. When women, children, and coloreds knew their place! (Kidding.)

misterrogers

Can't Leave
May 16, 2011
Ohio
They sould make alcohol producers put pictured of smashed cars and mangled bodies on their products.

I don't think there is anyone who smokes and thinks that there aren't any consenquences, wether it's cigars, pipes or cigarettes. They choose to target us (people who smoke tobacco) because they can.
Hear hear! When I was in Turkey, they had pictures of the mouth with gum cancer. A store clerk, out of no where, lifted the pack to his mouth, as if to show that teeth were his own. We both laughed, even though I didn't speak a wink of Turkish, and he knew I wasn't intrested in cigerettes.
The point is, the only thing it might do is stop new cigarette smokers. It's like telling someone who rides a bike that they might get hit by a bus and look a Picasso. Or showing everyone who rides a plane a video of Air France Flight 296 crashing.

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
I cannot even type my response to this overreaching government nanny state proposition.

Is this how far we've fallen from freedom ?

Are we too stupid to make decisions without mommy around to tell us whats good for us ?

tiltjlp

Can't Leave
Apr 9, 2011
Cheviot Ohio
I wouldn't be surprised if cigarette sales increase as a protest against those new labels. I might even buy a carton once those new packages come out. If sky high prices didn't stop people why would BS pictures?

zunismoke

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 3, 2010
NC
It is a sad situation that government can go to such extremes in the name of protecting it's citizens. It has bothered me for a long time that they go to such extremes with tobacco yet do almost nothing about alcohol.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
I think it is completely moronic and obnoxious, and I am wondering if there are First Amendment implications here? I don't want to ask my lawyer though as I've found my questions have expensive answers.
I really don't get "big tobacco". They really screwed things up for themselves and they keep doing it. They fight the wrong battles and run away from the ones they should fight.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Why is the FDA involved in toabcco at all? It seems like the cigarette packaging is turning into a global thing. Plain packaging, gross packaging etc.

I predict that cigarette pack holders will sell well so people won't have to look at the disgusting pictures.

It will also be interesting to see if the premium brands like Nat Sherman and Dunhill will have to comply. They may just disappear from the US market altogether.

I'm not a cigarette fan but I am a huge believer in personal freedom of choice.

schmitzbitz

Lifer
Jan 13, 2011
Port Coquitlam, B.C.
We've got the pictures and warnings on our tobacco products up here; to be honest, I don't even notice them anymore. Some of them are kind of funny, actually; this one cracks me up every time I see it.
When I was in Turkey, they had pictures of the mouth with gum cancer. A store clerk, out of no where, lifted the pack to his mouth, as if to show that teeth were his own. We both laughed, even though I didn't speak a wink of Turkish, and he knew I wasn't intrested in cigerettes.
This is our version of the mouth cancer; oddly enough, I've seen several people do the same thing as the Turkish clerk. Kinda like the cut-out masks on the back of the old Stars Wars cereal boxes, but for pissed up adults. :)

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I will certainly buy at least one carton of the current labels, and one of the new labels when they come out -- for collector's value!

But only the big name, high profile brands.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
That is kind of weird why the FDA (Food and Drug Administration) is in on the tobacco war. Amazes me that the FOOD and Drug Administration doesn't fight for these kind of graphic warning labels on Big Macs and Whoppers and such. Guess not too many people care that the numbers of obese and type two diabetes are pretty high and still growing. Back on subject though, now that I have a bunch of mason jars I could care less what they do to the labels. As mentioned above, as long as they don't mess with the make up of my blends it doesn't matter much to me. Plus I could always get a sticker making machine and slap stickers of the current labels on top if I really wanted to.

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
First Amendment implications here?
You're assuming someone in power cares about Amendment I.

Until we demand our constitutional rights be followed to the letter, we will never keep government from doing whatever they feel like doing to us.

cyndi

Lifer
Nov 14, 2009
Flowery Branch, GA
If they really want to gross people out, they should just put 4chan's URL on each package. There's enough nastiness there to swear people off life itself.

jayh

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 26, 2010
I wonder if there will be any litigation as a result of this.
Very rarely if ever have label requirements included "pictures". If not just plain text warnings have included pretty benign cartoon imagery. In this case federal agencies are forcing private businesses to included graphic photos. Are they over stepping? They are certainly treading new ground constitutionally in my mind. I wOuldnt doubt for a moment that publishing similarly graphic images on tshirts of my own obscenity charges would be filed and my first amendment rights called into question.
The government admits that cigarettes are addictive, addicts could be considered a captive audience and thus forced against their wishes to view arguably offensive materials...sounds like a constitutional issue to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.