PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

durham270

(Bailey's Briar)
Jan 30, 2013
Kentucky
I've been working on the restoration of this little 'French Briar' bulldog. The only stamping present is, FRENCH BRIAR. I think it's a real head turner with it's matching gold plate mountings. It also has three letters 'MML' on the shank band, which I think might be the original owners initials. I wish I knew what company might have made it.
This is the pipe I received.
FRENCH1.jpg

The pipe today. (The pipe actually looks 100% better than my images)
gold1-1.jpg

gold4.jpg

gold5.jpg

gold3-2.jpg

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Very cool. Looks like a totally different pipe. I don't know if there's any way of ever finding out which factory made the pipe. In France it seems like it was almost like a commodity business at one point rather than a business built around brand names.

lochinvar

Lifer
Oct 22, 2013
I love older French pipes, most smoke like a dream, and quite a few that I have encountered are hugeungous chunks of sweet smoking Algerian briar. My favorite pipe is a French made Colossal straight bulldog, smokes cool and sweet and brings out Va's like a dream.
That's a very unique looking pipe, might have been a Parisian dandys on the town pipe.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Wow, what a dog! Nice restoration work, that has a just-right level of patina. Those accents are really something. The French definitely knew how to shape a bull-dog.

Status
Not open for further replies.