Lifer
Jun 11, 2012
Anybody know anything about this? I don't. lol

Image.jpg

Image1.jpg

nightmarejones

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 4, 2012
Dunno, but being one that doesn't generally like rusticated pipes I do like that one.Let us know how she smokes.Nice catch btw

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
Ya I agree herbindave. I just run across a page that linked Big Boy Made in USA pipes to Dr Grabow. I gonna check it out.
Later on, sometime in the early- to mid-90s, Mastercraft Pipes marketed the Alpha USA line of pipes, also manufactured in the Sparta factory. The finishes were: Sierra, Delta, Mark V, Blue Ridge, Sabre, and Big Boy. Some are marked Alpha, and some aren't
http://drgrabows.myfreeforum.org/ftopic492-0.php
This is what I could find for you mate. It is a start. I do believe your pipe falls into this group.
I think ejames can probably shed much more light on it.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
I'm not familiar with that brand,although I probably read the post that nsfisher quoted above and forgot it.

The first thing I thought when I saw the picture though was --Grabow. The rustication is identical to that used on about a million of them.

If you ever decide to part with it let me know. I collect Grabow made--non Grabows, such as your pipe.

hawk60ce

Lifer
Jun 11, 2012
It's a great smoker so for now I'm happy and will hold on to it. Let me know if you guys run across anything else. If the pipe is that old (1990's) its in great shape. Only one mark on the bottom side of the stem and no marks on the stem or bowl.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Here's a Big Boy, and it is, I got over 30 years ago from a friend. His father was a pipe smoker. I'm guessing that this is from the early 70's or late 60's. I also think it was a store brand for Wally Frank but I'm not positive about that.

adam12

Part of the Furniture Now
May 16, 2011
Hawk I agree with Papipeguy, I am almost sure it was a store brand from the 70's, I have one as well (it's a lawn mower) and smokes nice. Can't go wrong with a US made 70's model anything

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
I'm pretty sure it was made in Sparta, and it's got nothing to do with Tinsky. Did you buy it, or are you inquiring about the value?

Status
Not open for further replies.