PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cynicismandsugar

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 17, 2015
Springfield, Mo
I've been on the lookout for two styles of pipe: a Canadian, and a bulldog. The first, because I'm starting to enjoy the clean, classic aesthetic presented by such a billiard; and the latter, because I felt left out, seeing other forum members drool, snarl, and bark over the old dog.
So, against my better judgment, my wife and I, once again, found ourselves in the comfort of our local brick & mortar. And, try as I might, I can't leave the building until I've officially browsed the estate pipe display cabinet.
As always the case, it seems, the very two shapes I've been deliberating upon purchasing are sitting there, innocent and unassuming, complete with a little brother.
The Savenilli Capri 8004 is an instant buy, as the wife knows I've been in the market for something special in the Canadian design; and if my wife has the opportunity to make me happy, while, at the same time, getting the chance to shop ― and doing it at a discount price...? One would easier convince Captain Ahab to cease his pursuit of the Great White Whale.
My wife inquires to me about the Peterson Emerald bulldog, herself being a longtime fan of the shape. I convince her it's in our best interest to wait, since we're somewhat recovering from the holidays, and she's already been more than generous with feeding my addiction.
Her eyes twinkle as she handles the younger sibling of the bulldog ― a Peterson Emerald bent apple ― but eventually (and reluctantly) relinquishes the treasure in defeat.
During our trek home, already halfway back across town, my wife (the Captain and pilot) again mentions the pair of Emeralds: "Mr. Bear, I really liked those Emerald pipes; when we can, I want you to order some from online."
"Oh, sweetheart," I explained, "Peterson stopped producing that line of pipes some time ago..."
Our SUV instantly made a U-turn against the oncoming tide, as my tenacious wife set our vessel to ramming speed, heading back to finish off Moby Dick.
So, yeah... now we own three new pipes (four if you count the MacQueen White Wizard Churchwarden my wife purchased, like a giddy schoolgirl) and it's not even the end of January.
Do I avoid the B&M, or the Mad Captain, Mrs. Bear?
SIDE QUESTION: The Peterson 80s [bulldog] pipe's band is orange(ish) in color, instead of "emerald;" does anyone happen to know the story/reason behind this ― or do you think this is something that was done after-market?
e0240169-909f-4be1-9d46-c17a8dd689d3_zpstcod234y.jpg

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
The only estate pipes I buy anymore are Dunhills. That caps the number of pipes I buy each month at zero.

lifesizehobbit

Oct 23, 2015
First - nice set of pipes you got there! Lucky man who has a loving wife!
Second - that was like reading one of those dream sequences from Home Improvement where Tim Allen used to tell his version of a story... :worship:

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
It appears that you like rusticated finishes. My tastes have changed from smooth to sandblasted or rusticated. I like smooth finishes - but I like flame or straight grain and I often can't afford the pipes made with the best briar.

cynicismandsugar

Nov 17, 2015
Springfield, Mo
Brass, sir --
In the beginning of my pipe collecting, I was somewhat a pompous, self-assured snob (speaking just about myself, of course; I never judge others regarding their personal taste) and much preferred the elegant aesthetics of smooth pipes; especially if it showcased a lovely grain.
However, once I got a rusticated pipe into my hands, something just felt "right" about it; comforting. A rusticated pipe just feels... well... rustic.
One's preferred taste in flavors can evolve about as quickly as their opinions regarding the attributes of attractiveness. My "higher" end pipes still seem to be mostly examples of a smooth finish, while my everyday pipes somewhat favor rustication.
Now sandblasted pipes... Oh, how I've grown to love a good sandblast with a naturalistic stain! To me, the right sandblast finish on the perfect pipe, is all the beauty of a smooth finish, with the warm comfort of a rusticated finish.
I desperately want more sandblasted pipes!

Status
Not open for further replies.