PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
Saw this on SP.com for a reasonable price. I really wanted a small meer for a while and this one had a real amber stem(BONUS!)I can deal with the light rustication. I don't care for intricately carved meers.
Might need some slight cleaning on my part, but we'll see.

cynyr

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 12, 2012
Tennessee
Nice, Jason! I'm interested to see how it cleans up, if you decide to. Looks great as it is.

topd

Lifer
Mar 23, 2012
Emerson, Arkansas
Good deal! Might I recommend that you don't try and clean the outside. But that might not be what you were talking about anyway. I have some small meers in the truck and at the camp. Easy to load and smoke without to much fuss. I almost never take them apart. Just pipe cleaners down the stem and a light carving inside the bowl to keep a cake from forming.

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
Thanks fellas. Exactly TopD, since it came from SP, so I don't expect to have to do much. It may be a load and go kinda day.

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
Thanks for your patronage! I remember doing the condition statement for this pipe. The chamber is blackened from smoking, and the outside has seen its' fair share of handling without any major dings, just some scratches and a nice patina, IIRC. That thing is OLD, don't know exactly, but it has some age, and I think a bone screw attachment.

We've gotten a bit more specific with the condition for meers lately. We do our best to remove all the cake ( yes, there are meers with cake ) and we point out all the "bugs".

We do NOT do any cleaning on the outside other than a light cloth wheel buff to remove any loose dirt. If you're going to remove the patina, it needs to be done gently, and re-waxed immediately. I've tried, and failed, to whiten one of my personal meerschaum pipes using high-proof alcohol and ended up destroying the thing, basically it drew out all the oils and became as brittle to the touch as gypsum ( drywall ).

YMMV

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
rcstan, I so appreciate your response. With that I will probably just "load and go" as I stated before. It should be in today via USPS. I was wondering about how the stem was attached and assumed with no mention of it, it should be in great shape.

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
Got my package in today. Must say it is a quaint little pipe. Supposed bone screw fitment.

I noticed it has smoke carved "ivy " leaves around the rim. You can make them out in the pics.

Drilling/stem is dead on and centered.

It also has a wonderful ghost in it, very light but also that antique smell. I like that. :puffy:

rangerearthpig

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 5, 2014
Very nice. I'm not much into the figure carvings, but have drooled over a couple of simple straights like this one. How does she smoke?

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
As I type this, I have a bowl loaded with GL Pease Sextant. I picked it because I hear a flake taste better in a small bowl. It has Virginia/Orientals/Latakia wit some dark Kentucky leaf thrown in and a touch of rum.

First off I have to smoke it delicately with slow light draws as this little meer can heat up rather quickly. Once I established a cadence I got it to smoke cooler and boy do the flavors come through. Very intense flavor as I expected. I am also sipping a coke as the flavor coats my tongue rather heavily.

The pipe also has it's own flavor from years of use and it's a welcomed nuance.

That is all I got. I may dedicate this pipe to Virginia based tobaccos and the like for short smoking sessions.

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
Upon further examination I noticed the case(coffin) had a very hard to see "Made In Austria" stamping. Even though the ad from SP.com say country "Turkey"(generic)the pipe was probably carved in Austria from imported meer until that was banned in 1970. It is old we know from the amber stem and has bone screw. But after some digging it may have been carved by Bauer(they are unsigned). pipephil site mentions...
▲ no markings on the pipe
Company founded in Vienna (Austria) by Andreas Bauer in 1906. In 1942 Ernst Bauer, the founder's son, took over the management of the enterprise until early 1970s when Turkish law banned the export of raw meerschaum. At this time Otto & Kopp Gmbh bought the trademark. They were a large Meerschaum distributor to the German tobacconists and good customer of the Turkish Konçak Meerschaums. Lastly Sedat Konçak bought the trademark in 1990. Unfortunatly the pipes carved in Turkey continue to be labeled "Made in Austria".
The original legendary Andreas Bauer pipes have a real amber bit with a bone screw tenon. The "Made in Turkey" Andreas Bauer pipes have an amberoid or acrilic stem with a delrin push tenon.
I love trying to find history on pipes!!

Reactions: Papamique
Status
Not open for further replies.