New Estate Grabow Starfire! Help Needed (pics)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

36 Fresh Ropp Pipes
36 Fresh Estate Pipes
108 Fresh Brulor Pipes
New Cigars
2 Fresh Chris Asteriou Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

frennchy11

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 28, 2011
I had some free time today so I decided to go to an antique shop that I know always has pipes. I came across this one and it looked like it has real potential to be an awesome pick up. My birthday is next Monday so I thought for 7.50$ I might as well get myself a small gift.

IMAG0253.jpg

IMAG0255.jpg

Ok so here is where I need a little help. This pipe screws together and when I screw it in all the way the stem is upside down and offset a little bit. Anyone know if this is an easy fix?

IMAG0256.jpg

Here is a picture of the top. A lot of char but I can clean that up a bit.

IMAG0254.jpg

Any help would be great. If you need more pictures just let me know. Can't wait to get this up and smoking!

frennchy11

Dec 28, 2011
Ok nevermind I fixed it with a pliers and the rim just needed a little elbow grease. Now I just need to get rid of the oxidation on the stem and silver. Any ideas there?

crpntr1

Lifer
Dec 18, 2011
Texas
Next time if its to tough just with pliers, use a lighter to heat the stem at the stinger or screw on accessory, and it'll twist easier

frennchy11

Dec 28, 2011
Thanks guys I can't wait to smoke it. I read pipenovelists article and that sounds like the best bet for what I have laying around.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Whoa, Crpntr1. I've got the same problem with a couple of my pipes. A little heat to where the stinger connects to the stem and that's it? The big question is how much is a little?

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Your Starfire has the Ajustomatic feature as do most Grabows with screw in stems made after the Linkman era. The Ajustomatic stems are made so that they can be turned clockwise AFTER being screwed all the way in until it comes around and lines up. If it is working right you CANNOT over tighten an Ajustomatic. If it isn't working a little heat to the threaded tenon will usually free it up. I use my butane lighter to heat the tenon for a few seconds,screw it in till tight and then give it a little extra twist.It should break loose and keep turning,if not heat the tenon again and repeat. Sometimes a little soak in alcohol is needed to loosen the gunk that buils up around the Ajustomatic in the stem. Once you get it broke loose crank it around 2-3 full turns to help break up any crud in the Ajusto.

jaysin

Lifer
Feb 8, 2012
Indiana
I use walker briar works stem restration kit they seem to work well

Nice grain in that pipe its a beauty major score

docwatson

Lifer
Jul 2, 2009
New England
My first special pipe that I bought in high school days 47 years ago was a Grabow Starfire that I still have in my collection. A great smoke to this day, I'm sure you will enjoy your recent find, cheers

AC

Status
Not open for further replies.