PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

modernature

Lurker
Aug 10, 2017
Hello all,
I'm a long time lurker and new member (as of yesterday) and, like magic, today I have a problem and would like some kind advice.

My wife bought a little group 4 Dunhill billiard for my birthday from a gentleman on eBay. Upon inspection I noticed a small cake on one part of the chamber wall. A light rub of my wife's index finger uncovered a, well, depression may be the best word to describe it. It's an irregular divot, probably wide enough for two or three matchheads and deep enough for one. That may not be the only issue. The stem is not snug, one may even describe it as loose. I know beeswax (and a smoke) would help it, but I feel like it should seat with a firmer purchase. Maybe I'm too new to this hobby, maybe this is status quo, but it feels a little wrong. Can the good people here tell me, should I send this pipe back? What would you do? It was described as near perfect, lightly smoked, etc. it got here Monday, I received it yesterday (Thursday).
Oh, and one last thing, the pipe whistles like a flute when I draw, even lightly. Is this an Albert Dunhill or an Albert Cooper?! (...no, no one?)

poppabear

Lurker
Aug 6, 2017
not sure what to tell you brother.. I don't have too much experience with estate pipes and briers that have that divot in the bowl. my best guess would be that the brier was/is burnt out. I am sure the old timers here can tell you have to fix that.
as far as the tenon goes with some of my pips what I haven't smoked in a while (years or so) a smoke (or 3) will tighten it back up. on one occasions I had to heat the tenon of the stem slowly and use a bit of metal to coax the opening a bit (in my case I used a fork very carefully). I have also heard you can heat it and then press it on the counter top to make it slightly out of round and that will help it stick.
if you are not happy or it wasn't described correctly send it back! you don't want an estate pipe that you are going to inherit problems from.3 maybe its a fine smoker or maybe its more trouble than its worth! in any case.... its pretty personal what you want to do with it...

bluesmoke

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 21, 2013
If the seller accepts returns, send it back. Unfortunately, lots of ebay pipe sellers don't know how to write a description that includes information that is critical for a pipe buyer. I'm not buying unless they show me the details I'm looking for, not just flaws, but specs. I'm very picky about the length, bowl diameter, etc.of my pipes. Sometimes I pass up a pipe that I might have liked, but couldn't get the details in the description or a response to my question for the seller.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
If the seller accepts returns, contact him/her about returning the pipe. Even if the seller refuses to allow you to return the pipe you can ask eBay to intercede by filing a grievance if there is a material defect that was undisclosed (buyer remorse doesn't account).

swilford

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 30, 2010
Longs, SC
corporate.laudisi.com
These are things that may be issues or may be innocuous, depending on circumstances.
The divots are probably, but not definitely, impressions from the chuck that holds the stummel in place while it's being turned. If it's unsmoked and they're not terribly deep, and there's a pattern to them, then this is totally innocuous and not atypical for Dunhill (or another other factory shaped pipe). From your description, it's tough for me to tell whether that's what's going on here. If that's not it, you should return it.
Loose stem: shipping from a high humidity area to a low humidity area = loose stem. Briar is natural and absorbent and stems are pressure-fit, so ambient humidity can more than make a difference. It should self correct and be fine in a couple of days. If it's not, it's a problem and you should return it.
So, either of these things could be perfectly normal and nothing to worry about, or either of these things could be problems.
Sykes

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
Any chance of you posting photos? Ask your wife to show you the auction to see if what you are describing was listed or had photos that allowed these issues to be seen, if so it may be difficult to return the pipe but you can always simply just tell them the situation of your wife purchasing it as a birthday gift etc. best of luck.

banjo

modernature

Lurker
Aug 10, 2017
Thanks for all the replies. I just got back from the tobacconist and his assessment is that it is not a burn out. He thinks it was likely just over zealous reaming, and that the seller may not have know about it. He said it was "on the edge", that it would probably be fine but that I could return it, but that he would probably keep it for the price. He suggested a cigar ash slurry around the chamber walls, then dry and forget. Felt like it would smoke for years on. The stem he said wasn't a problem and suggested hot water and a roof nail remedy...I think I'll stick with beeswax.
Anyway, I'll try to post a pic in a few. I'd like your second opinions.

modernature

Lurker
Aug 10, 2017

Here goes (probably literally) nothing...

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Once your photos are on a photo hosting site (such as Imgur.com; Photobucket; Postimage; Dropbox, etc.), or on virtually any site, select the full image, then Control-click (Mac) or Right-click (Windows) on the image itself, then choose copy image location. Now paste that URL (the full web address, which should end in .jpg) into the IMG box in the reply window of the thread you're posting to.
Or This is how to add photos to your post using the site's photo album:
Images tend to be smaller than hosting site's size, but can be full sized if you remove the pixel limitation, -600x360)— the numbers and the dash preceding, leaving no spaces, and ending in .jpg
1.) Login

2.) Go to My Account (may have hit Home button first) and mouse down to Album.

3.) Choose Upload Picture (navigate to photo you've given a sensible name to), be sure to then hit Upload.

4.) Go back to Album, click on thumbnail to open full size image. Right click (Windows); Control Click (Mac) and select "copy image location" (its URL).

5.) Return to your reply window in the thread and click on the IMG button at the top of the compose window.

7.) Paste the image location into the window and click OK. (You can paste over the existing http://)
An example, of a thumbnail named "hms-penzance-1940" followed by -150x100.jpg is the name of the photo in my album, and the the -150x100 limits the size.

hms-penzance-1940-150x100.jpg

If I remove the numbers, it goes to whatever size at which it was uploaded, subject to web sized image limitations.
hms-penzance-1940.jpg

modernature

Lurker
Aug 10, 2017
Thank you. I'll give that a try. I do everything on an iPad, and it's slow and awkward because I'm visually impaired, so bear with me.

May 4, 2015
Your photo has to be hosted somewhere. Like on this site in your gallery, IMGUR, somewhere like that. Then when it's there and you can copy its link, THAT's what you paste in the "IMG" button.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
Has the pipe been reamed all the way down to the briar, or is there some cake in the bowl still. If it's reamed all the way down, that crack doesn't look to bad.
I would suggest taking a very light coating of honey and wiping it on the inside of the pipe. Then take some cigar ash or pipe ash that is very fine and dump it in the bowl. Cover the bowl and shake the ash around. The ash will stick to the honey in the bowl. Let it sit for a while and then pack a bowl of tobacco. Puff lightly and slow so that the pipe doesn't get to hot. The honey and ash will help you quickly build a layer of cake, and that crack shouldn't be an issue anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.