Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexnc

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 25, 2015
Southeast US
So I just received this great looking pipe from an eBay purchase. Except only the the drilling at the bottom is flawed. It's like the draft hole was drilled a bit too low and then someone made a rough and sort of buggered up attempt to deepen the chamber. It sort of has a green pea sized deeper spot that accommodates the depth of the draft hole. It's not horrible, but just doesn't seem up to a standard of a Dunhill. Has anyone ever seen a dunhill like that? I'm wondering what the heck I've got. A counterfeit or a reject? That would explain where he's getting so many NOS Dunhills.
Haven't tried to shoot the bottom of the chamber yet
s-l1600.jpg

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/JjkAAOSw8b9bhQjR/s-l1600.jpg

eaglewriter1

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 22, 2018
If this is a counterfeit its one with a rather nice ring grain I have to say. Like who would use Briar of that quality for a fake^^. I guess we need someone to take a look if anything is off with the stamping, I dont know enough about Dunhill Stamps over the years to be of much use.

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

It looks real to me but more pictures wouldn't hurt. I see a 2007 group 5 9mm filter pipe with the 99D being a shape code. The drilling may have something to do with it being a 9mm filter pipe, but what you describe does not sound real out of sorts to me.

alexnc

Oct 25, 2015
Southeast US
I've requested a return already - it's a reject or something. I've never had a cheap pipe drilled so poorly
zACjFUC.jpg

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

If you're not happy with it and can return it then you should. I see the 990 shape code now. I thought the 0 was a D, my bad. The D didn't make much sense. The bottom of the chamber does look a little weird, but I don't think it's a fake. It looks like someone tried to fix a low drilling by reaming it to me? I would send it back too.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
That's what all of mine have looked like. I used to have a Ruby Bark straight billiard that wouldn't pass a pipe cleaner.

alexnc

Oct 25, 2015
Southeast US
from what I understand it's a later one - maybe 97
Chasing Embers - do you mean the inside bottom of the chambers of others you've had looked like that?

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Yeah they smoke fine, but the straight billiard I had with the off drilling got traded.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Alex, are you? I mean life is too short to have a pipe you aren't crazy about in my opinion. It might have smoked just fine, and that's great, but if thinking about that drilling distracts you in any way from the enjoyment of the pipe it is not worth it. Just my 2 cents.

Status
Not open for further replies.