Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
I'm glad to see this because it means piping is on the upswing. As to the blends themselves, Baby's Bottom contains Latakia so it will taste and smell like every other English Dunhill mixture, so I'll stick with the mackdaddy, Nightcap. The other one...well, as soon as they sais "fruity essence" I was out :)

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
The other one...well, as soon as they sais "fruity essence" I was out :)
Yeah, me too.......I'm not much for the fruity flavors! I did pull the trigger on the BB.......always wanted to try it, even though this is probably not the same as the old stuff. I threw in some C&D Crooner too, never had the deer tongue and curiosity got the better of me!

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
Yeah same thing here. Not interested in a V that is topped with fruit, and I'm also not an oriental fan.
I've got other lat blends so I won't rush out for BB.
To me, every Dunhill lat blend starts to sound the same. All the well marketed launches....just not sure they are that big of a deal :)

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
I'm going to wait until I find out if they're blending the original formula. I'm boycotting blends released under the old classic names with new formulas. STG should study the "New" Coke fiasco. Not saying that Dunhill is doing the same...

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
"...never had the deer tongue and curiosity got the better of me..."
Here you go:
th

Sjmiller CPG

(sjmiller)
May 8, 2015
Morgan County, Tennessee
I usually follow JimInks reviews and have good luck with them. He reviewed Baby's Bottom elsewhere and gave it three and a half stars out of four. So I will give it a try due to that and a bit of curiosity despite the fact I usually stay away from Latakia blends. Love Virginias and Orientals as well as the fruit topping in Royal Yacht so I will be getting both as soon as I leave here.

mranglophile

Can't Leave
May 11, 2015
United States
Well I'm excited by both....been smoking Lancer Slices and they are just Lat/Vir and I absolutley love the smokey/sweet thing. Hoping BB will be close. The 3 Year just sounds good...I love crazy British tobacco (cellar is 50% Gawith, Gawith and Germain)

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
There is no comparison (in my 'cellar' or experience) of Dunhill's Nightcap to its other Lat offerings. I don't have any others, and I haven't tried any others. I went to Nightcap and worked my way around the lat blends of other houses. I've read many a glowing compliment for just about all of Dunhill's blends, so I would imagine that it's their quality and precision that first strikes the initiate. If it was EMP you tried first, that's probably your favorite, and so on.

Thank goodness not all latakia blends are homogenized. Eh, blenders?

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
The BB1938 is not very complex and really more of a starter English, but it does have a richness of creamy flavor that I really like. If you like that kind of English, you'll should find it very enjoyable. Here's the review I wrote:
The smell out of the tin is stronger than the taste of the tobacco. The Cyprian latakia is very smoky and very woody with a creamy sweetness. The various Virginias offer a hint of citrus and grass, some earth and tangy dried fruit (thank the red Virginia for the last two observations). I suspect an extremely mild topping is here to aid in the smoothness of this product. Burns at a decent rate with few relights, and a very consistent mild to medium flavor with no harsh or dull spots to the finish. Barely leaves any moisture and no unburnt tobacco in the bowl. Has a very pleasant after taste. The old saying "smooth as a baby's bottom" Dunhill used in ads for the original does apply to this version. It could be an all day smoke, depending on your preference for latakia. Three and a half stars out of four.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Booker: I didn't care much for the old Three Year Matured Va., but who knows about the new version? It may be the same or it may be better. I don't buy much tobacco these days (budget reasons), so unless I can trade for a sample, I will miss out. It would be interesting to try the new version. My tastes have changed a little since I smoked the old stuff, so I could change my mind. I'd try it if I could, and be open minded about it.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Booker: no problem, man. I understand. Money's tight these days with a lot of people. I wasn't expecting that anyway.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I had Russ O's match for BB1938 last night at our club meeting. Russ brought a generous supply for us to try. I'll say that I thought is was as good if not better than the Dunhill offering. I'd recommend it highly.

edgreen

Lifer
Aug 28, 2013
Does anyone really enjoy deertongue? I found it to be so, so nasty tasting that I can't imagine anyone liking it.

lostandfound

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 30, 2011
Still waiting on that Dark Flake. Would be really awesome to see Dunhill produce a Dark Fired Kentucky based flake too.

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
Good one Hunter! Actually I HAVE had THAT deer tongue! We would save the hearts and tongues from the whitetails we harvested in deer camp. My mother would pickle them (like beef tongue/heart)........It was an old German recipe, and boy let me tell you, sliced thin, with crackers and a cold beer......GREAT STUFF!
Does anyone really enjoy deertongue?
edgreen, I'll find out soon enough! I only put an ounce on the order, looking forward to trying it!.... :puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.