Status
Not open for further replies.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
We are introducing a new column called "The Speakeasy".
Once a month, Ethan Brandt will explore a different classic cocktail, and pair it with a pipe tobacco. Since we already have quite a bit of content related to tobacco, this column will focus mostly on the cocktail, including; history, recipes, and even a video demonstration filmed two blocks from my condo in Downtown St. Petersburg, Florida, at The Cask & Ale. (I'm usually there 2-3 times a week.) We launch with the Old Fashioned.
Check it out -

Call Me Old Fashioned

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
This drink works in my overall plan to decrease the amount of alcohol I keep on hand. I am a bourbon/rum drinker mostly and can make various drinks with those alone. And my friends are mostly beer drinkers. The "Old Fashioned" is the perfect "on hand" cocktail, even if its just for me.

thefoolish

Lurker
Sep 29, 2010
I totally agree, Jason. It's a drink that works with any weather and any situation and requires very few ingredients, all of which should be in a basic bar anyway: bourbon, sugar, bitters. Done.

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
I love an Old Fashioned and look forward to more of these articles. Might I suggest the classic Cognac based Sezerac be addressed at some point, now able to be made correctly since we have authentic Absinthe on the market in America. The modern Rye and Pernod version could be discussed as well.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
I can't remember the last time I had an Old Fashioned, but I'm going to take care of that this weekend.
Good read...

vfefrenzy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 4, 2014
The Old Fashioned has long been a favorite of mine. I had never had the purist version, so I made a couple tonight. Unfortunately, I didn't have any proper bourbon on hand, so I had to make do with the crappy scotch I got for Christmas las year and Ole Smoky Char'd Moonshine (which I have to assume tastes better than chard moonshine). In any event, the cocktail worked out well. Next time I need to combine it with a bowl of something delightful.

eightywon

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 4, 2014
More of a scotch drinker myself. Peatier the better. I think bourban is too sweet for my tastes. Though I enjoy sweet VA's and don't really care for smokey Lat's. :crazy:

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
+1 eightywon

I love Ardbeg, laphroiag, Lagavulin, and some Taliskers. Can't get enough of the peat/iodine.

I do like a good bourbon though, just prefer it straight up- don't want no sugar in me whiskey!

judd

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 3, 2014
Just read the article and it was great. Cold here in the Texas Hill Country, maybe old fashioned cold!

Status
Not open for further replies.