New David Jones Poker and Penzance, Brigade DF, and Molto Dolce Cherry's Popped!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

48 Fresh Savinelli Pipes
2 Fresh Former Pipes
120 Fresh Peterson Pipes
24 Fresh Rossi Pipes
108 Fresh Brulor Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
David Jones poker was waiting for me when i got home from work yesterday. I also received (perfect timing) 3 tins of tobacco i bought for a VERY fair price from Dave, aka captainsousie. These included a tin of Penzance, Brigade Dark Flake and Molto Dolce, all sealed. I tried the Penzance for the first time in the David Jones and it was phenomenal! It is definitely a wonderfully flavorful and rich blend. Do i think it warrants its sold out everywhere status and scarce availability? No, and to be honest i think it is a bit over rated. Do not misunderstand me here, i think it is a great smoke and maybe eventually i might come to see it as worth the hype, but there are so many other blends out there that offer similar smoking qualities without having to sign over your first born child to get.
I gotta give a big shout to Dave though. Thanks a ton for putting these up on the forums and giving me a good price on them, much appreciated. The tin of Penzance he sent me looks to have some age on it, as the baccy has a decent amount of marvelous plume building up. So not only did i get to try the "glorious" Penzance, i got to try a tin with some age on it in a great looking and smoking new David Jones poker. David makes some good looking pipes and this one fits nicely in the hand. It is pretty bulky and big, but surprisingly light for its size and is not a bad clencher at all. The Penzance also smoked well in it.
I then smoked my first bowl of Brigade DF in my Rinaldo Agea Collection Silver Line Titania. That stuff is damn good as well. Very smooth with a multi-faceted flavor profile. I didn't get much of a nic kick at all, which is a negative for me, but i will definitely be buying more of it in the future. I am going to try the molto dolce tonight, most likely in my meerschaum bc i don't want to ghost one of my briars all to hell. I'll give my thoughts on that after i smoke a couple bowls.
Here is a few pics of the David Jones and the tins from Dave. Thanks again brother! Hope everyone has an awesome and safe weekend...happy puffing!!!
-Corey
20140417_181435-600x450.jpg

20140417_181457-600x450.jpg

20140417_181520-600x450.jpg

20140417_181530-600x450.jpg

20140417_181548-600x450.jpg

ctron

Lurker
Mar 25, 2013
Beautiful pipe! I haven't tried any of the tobaccos, but penzance seems to be pretty popular.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
If you enjoyed Penzance with some age on it, you should try it fresh. For me, it's one of the rare tobaccos that is actually much more interesting when young. The quality that I especially love about it -- an oriental "zing" in the retrohale -- disappears after a year or two in the tin.
Bob

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
Thanks for the info Bob, I will definitely compare when I can actually get a hold of a fresh tin. Let me know if you're ever feeling generous enough to sell me some, brother!

antbauers

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 12, 2013
How does your Rinaldo smoke? I was looking at a Rinaldo same as yours but possibly different shape. Was looking for a "Show of your Rinaldo" thread but can't find it or it just doesn't exist yet. Being a Titania is the bowl as large as the name suggests?

Aug 1, 2012
Nice looking pipe you got there. The Penzance had about 6 months from when I got it and the Wessex had about a year on it. I agree that Penzance is a nice smoke but nothing to launch a search expedition for.
Thanks for the kind words as well sir.

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/new-rinaldo-collection-pipekiller-deal
Antbauers, check the link above. It is the Rinaldo I was referring to and it looks and smokes beautiful. I got a ridiculous deal on it brand new as the link shows. The bowl is quite large and it smokes for a good hour and a half. My other Rinaldo smokes just as well. It is a smooth bent triad YYY. They are fantastic pipes and I would not hesitate to own another one. Dave, you're welcome and again I appreciate it! Pipeguy, thanks brother, lol!

Status
Not open for further replies.