PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

wallbright

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 22, 2010
Here is what I picked up today. Some Half and Half (never tried it), some more pipe cleaners, and my first cob. :lol:
d909b4c7.jpg

Do you guys smoke your cobs with or without the filters?

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
Don't like filters of any kind . I even smoked Camel straights way back when I smoked those nasty things .

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
I smoke them with the filters, but I, like cortezattic, don't like ashes in my mouth. Also, I haven't noticed any loss in flavor or enjoyment when using them.
-Jason

wallbright

Aug 22, 2010
I suppose I will just try it both ways and see which one I like. Thanks for the insight guys.

dudleydipstick

Can't Leave
Dec 13, 2009
Wallbright,
I've got a cob exactly like that. It's only my second. I had bad luck with the first one as the seal wasn't airtight.
I didn't buy a second cob for quite a while, since it wasn't on my list when I went to any decent smoke shops and the pipes at the cigarette outlet nearby are bound to be "pre-ghosted" with incense.
I did try it with the filter in and it's the only filtered smoke I didn't mind. Without a filter, since the draught is so wide, I pack it MUCH tighter than I ever would with a standard briar and it smokes great.
Good luck with your first cob, I hope you'll enjoy it as much as I'm enjoying my second one.

wallbright

Aug 22, 2010
Oh I am enjoying it alright. I bought it a drugstore so there was no incense smell to ware off. I am currently about to go inside and pack it for a third bowl tonight (they don't seem to last as long, maybe I need to put more tobacco in) but it is a very good smoke for $5. So much so that the newly restored briar I brought out to smoke incase this was bad, is just sitting on shelf beside me collecting more dust lol. So far I have had a bowl of PA and a bowl of half and half. I think I will try some CBW in it. Though will it ghost at all?

wallbright

Aug 22, 2010
Being a former cigar smoker I still can't get over the fact that you can pick up a MM corn cob pipe ($5) and a pouch of PA ($3) and CBW($6) and still be less than ONE CIGAR! I feel that even if I smoke this pipe so much that it cracks tonight I would still have gotten my moneys worth lol. On top of that 3oz is alot of smokes in this little pipe. I feel that switching to pipes is the best decision I made. Though, I have spent way too much on briars lol.

juozapas

Can't Leave
Aug 18, 2010
Barrie,Ontario,CANADA
That's great...I am a big fan of the "real" corn cobs. I like to enjoy it with the filter (medico). I tends to absorb all the juices that develope, and I change the filter after 2 pipe runs. And, between smokes....take out the filter and let it dry (rest) till your next smoke. Also...try not to bang the bowl at anything hard (only use your palm if you have to...) because the corn has a tendency to "chip" itself near the top. And, of course, watch the rim of the bowl too, it can kinda burn a little more than usual in the wind if your not carefull.

Enjoy for sure...

I use mine as an "all purpose" daily pipe (and I alternate throughout the day with three corn cobs)

mypipes021-1.jpg
mypipes016-2.jpg

whitebriar

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 14, 2010
[wallbright quote]Oh I am enjoying it alright. ... the newly restored briar I brought out to smoke incase this was bad, is just sitting on shelf beside me collecting more dust lol. So far I have had a bowl of PA and a bowl of half and half. I think I will try some CBW in it. Though will it ghost at all?>>>>>
never noted any ghosting at all in my cobs--but my palate isn't tremendously sensitive--if you continue to enjoy the cob, i might recommend the Dane Spool by MM--that pipe loves anything i feed it--YMMV--

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Wallbright,
Some might say that your photo is the perfect "Starter Kit"... Not me.

You forgot the matches. :)
Some will say just smoke the hell out of it and when it's burned out, get another.

Not me.... I say with a little care that "lowly" cob will last you 20+ years.

I'm still smoking mine that I bought back in the 70's.

One hint to longevity of cobs....

Let a cake build up in the bottom and you can groom it to the shape of a good briar and it will last a very long time, and it will become one of your most beloved friends.

With some care they only get better with age.

wallbright

Aug 22, 2010
Some might say that your photo is the perfect "Starter Kit"... Not me.

You forgot the matches. :)
Haha well I already bought two thousand matches at the dollar store so I didn't need to pick any up....yet. I didn't even realize it would look like a good starter kit I just needed more absorbent pipe cleaners for my restoring efforts, wanted to try Half and Half, and have been wanting to try a cob for years haha. Maybe I will take a new picture with the matches just for you =).
Not me.... I say with a little care that "lowly" cob will last you 20+ years.

I'm still smoking mine that I bought back in the 70's.
I will learn to respect the cob. Also, is it normal for there to be a space at the bottom under the airway? Well, kind of to the side of it? I just put some tobacco down there so it was even but I was wondering if it was possible to do the grape jelly/dried tobacco trick on it?

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
I was wondering if it was possible to do the grape jelly/dried tobacco trick on it?
That sounds like it will work. Good idea.

Mine though, I developed the cake over time.
is it normal for there to be a space at the bottom under the airway? Well, kind of to the side of it?
Yep in that style cob.

Now; my Church warden was very well made and the draft hole in the bottom of the bowl is perfect, and there is no space on either side of the hole.

dudleydipstick

Can't Leave
Dec 13, 2009
I was wondering if it was possible to do the grape jelly/dried tobacco trick on it?
Looks like I've got some Googling to do, as that's a new one to me. I've been thinking about applying some pipe mud to mine. You've probably heard of it, but it's a mortar made from cigar ash and a very small amount of water. I've used it in a pipe that had a high airway and it dried hard as stone and worked out very well.

wallbright

Aug 22, 2010
The jelly/dried tobacco trick is from Chuck. You mix tender dry tobacco with Welches grape jelly (not jam and it has to be Welches or some other high quality jelly he says). As for the correct ratio I have no idea as I have no heard back from him on that. But he says it is similar to the honey method but it doesn't get nearly as hard and nasty as honey.

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
Nice pick ups Wall!
Here is the link to the thread where Chuckw explains the Grape Jelly & Tobacco recipe and technique:
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/multiple-questions-please-help#post-24580

wallbright

Aug 22, 2010
I like seeing that picture of Half and Half and the Corn Cob Pipe. It just looks nice.
Thanks Kevin. I uploaded it from my Iphone and didn't realize it was so blurry until I went back to look at the post. So hopefully my next photo wont be blurry or have vitamins, speakers, and cups in the background lol. Though I think that half the fun in looking at pictures in forums is seeing what is in the background. Maybe I am the only one that does that though haha.
And, between smokes....take out the filter and let it dry (rest) till your next smoke. Also...try not to bang the bowl at anything hard (only use your palm if you have to...) because the corn has a tendency to "chip" itself near the top. And, of course, watch the rim of the bowl too, it can kinda burn a little more than usual in the wind if your not careful.
Thanks for the solid tips Juozapas. I would never have thought of taking out the filter between smokes. I also enjoy hearing everyones tips about care for a cob. When I got it I intended to abuse the hell out of it but now I am thinking of taking care of it. Hopefully it will last for a long time if I treat it right.
Here is the link to the thread where Chuckw explains the Grape Jelly & Tobacco recipe and technique:
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/multiple-questions-please-help#post-24580
Thanks for the adding the link here. I am still waiting to hear back about the ratio of jelly to tobacco though. I don't want to do it wrong and ruin my pipe or anything. And I'm glad that everyone is liking my pickups. I know I sure am enjoying them. Though, at the rate I'm smoking bowls in this cob I will have to pickup some more tobacco soon. I want to try some nice tinned tobacco or any nice bulk but the closest B&M is 45 - 50 minutes away and closed on Sundays (the one day I have afternoons free for the most part). So I am stuck with drug store blends. I only need a few ounces at a time so ordering online would be a pain with shipping charges. Hopefully when I go back down to Dallas in a couple of weeks I can stop by the B&M down there and purchase some tobacco. Though, I will have to hide it from the girlfriend >:) haha.

spacecowboy57

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 14, 2010
i've never had half and half, but i do have a nice cob. I mainly use it to try new stuff because it doesnt seem to pick up any flavor. as far as filters, I use a filter whenever I use a filter pipe, but I don't go out of my way to buy filter pipes.

Status
Not open for further replies.