PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

eaglerico

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
I got this off eBay. My second Chacom pipe and my second cumberland. Bought it as an estate but it is never smoked. The finish looks blue in the pictures but it is more green. I love this pipe. It is unusual, a brand I am looking to collect and one I have never seen another one. All that and I really like cumberland stems. Pics are from the eBay sale.
1_zpsb1b0ea22.jpg

3_zps9c25a133.jpg

5_zps9ca34bb6.jpg

4_zps6ca1e25e.jpg

2_zpsb0f0c33d.jpg

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Eagle:
I can see past the jacked up color discrepancies and it's a great looking pipe. If you don't mind me asking, why have you decided to collect Chacoms?
Fnord

eaglerico

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
rothnh...I think that is an apt description. I can't say I have ever seen a finish even done in a similar fashion as this one. There is still a lot of natural briar showing. My wife asked me if I really wanted it when I showed it to her online. She didn't think it was very nice from the pics, but when it was actually in front of us she was amazed at how it looks.
fnord...Thank you. This is the second one I bought and I think they are an extreme value. I am not very attracted to their current production line as I don't feel they are anything different from any of the other productions pipes. But, I have seen plenty on the estate market that are different and very appealing to me. My first Chacom I got for $30 on eBay. Diamond shank 1/2 bent Billiard with a purple/pearlish lucite stem. The purple is such a dark rich color you have to look at in the right light to see it isn't black. It was a complete surprise to me as it looked black in the pics online. I think they are worth way more then I am paying for them. So, to me I get the hunt of a quality high end pipe that not everyone is going after with the value that fits my pocket book. Nothing could be better.
To all... In the bowl there are four sets of indentions evenly spaced apart. The bowl it self, as far as I can tell is not coated. Are these indentions to help with forming cake or just some markings from possibly holding the pipe on a tool when doing the finish? I have never seen or heard of these before.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Congrats - that's a cool looking pipe - I really like the shape and the cumberland stem!

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Very cool pipe. Congrats on getting it. Re the markings inside the bowl; I wonder if they were made by a device to hold the pipe while it was having the finish applied. Perhaps the pipe makers here can comment with more authority.

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
Eagle, good stuff. I'm happy for you. There's times I'm just drawn to a specific pipe too.

eaglerico

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
Thanks rothnh. Where did you quote that from? Are you suggesting that my pipe may be an older pipe?

Status
Not open for further replies.