PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
I was reading some of the posts in the "slow puff cafe" and it got me thinking. Some of you guys have some interesting careers, and seeing myself at a bit of a crossroads, I figured I'd throw this idea out there to you guys.

Whats a good way to make a living these days ?

I'm 32 this year, and damn I'm tired of driving trucks.

I got my CDL 5 years ago when the bottom fell out selling siding and sunrooms.

Its paid the bills, but with the new CSA2010 rules, and NAFTA opening our borders to mexican trucks, and owner operators already struggling to survive, I dont see a bright future in trucking.

Besides that, I got 700,000 miles of sightseeing under my belt, and other than a paycheck theres just nothing in it for me.

I'm looking for something that anyone with enough brains and determination can do.

Something you can still make a GOOD living at ($50,000+)

I wouldn't mind going back into sales, if I could figure out where they're making money anymore.

I wouldn't mind going to school for something either.

So what do you guys do for a living?

What would you do for a living if you had it to do over?

sirbogglesworth

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 20, 2011
School can only help, trade or uni...I'm an accountant that wishes he was a writer :D .
I wish you nothing but good luck on your journey for a new profession lonestar.

Nov 14, 2009
Flowery Branch, GA
Here in the Atlanta, GA area, the big business thing will be as follows; Technology/Telecommunications, Medical, Financial services.
This came from a career coaching company I started working with when I got laid off myself. They had all kinds of research numbers. Also, there's a new push into energy saving technologies, like air power, etc.
As for schooling, anything in the medical field, business administration, computer sciences, and project management are getting a lot of attention. Telecommunications world has been up and down, especially in the cable market (kind of company I was laid off from) but as a whole, the others are doing rather well despite a crappy economy.

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
I sell equipment parts and oil feild equipment , vacum pumps and such .It gets harder each year to make money and now with all the people out of work they can hire salesman cheaper . I was told this week they want to split up my accounts . Nice pat on the back after six years and 300% growth .The wife may or may not have a job after Nov 1 . We moved cross country to get these jobs . Risking all ,we put our furniture in storage and went for it . Now six years later we find we are still in the same boat . Goodbye middle class America it has been fun .

collindow

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 15, 2010
Portland, OR
I heard a story today about a guy who graduated with a 3.7 GPA from a good engineering program...and took nine months to get a job. The market is so bad out there...I don't look forward to graduating in just a couple years. I also don't look forward to finding a summer job.

Sorry I couldn't be more help...best of luck!

buck67

Can't Leave
Aug 4, 2010
Little Rock
I've been out of work for about 6 months. I was a Structural Designer for about 24 years, then the construction industry went south. Maybe I should become a barber. Seems like steady work.

bubbadreier

Lifer
Jul 30, 2010
Norman, Oklahoma
I am in Hotel and Restaurant Management, doesn't require a degree to get in the door but it doesn't hurt. Most places will take any business degree. Now it's a little hard to get the $50,000+ starting out but $40,000 isn't out of the question.

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
Medical. Become a Registered Nurse and make $52,000 a year starting. You only have to go to school for 2 years...
-Jason

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Hey Winton,

I have my MBA... right now that and 90 cents... plus tax will get you a bad cup of coffee at Mickey D's here in B'ham.
I am giving serious thought to removing it from my resume'. It scares intimidates Hiring Managers. I recently had a Head-Hunter tell me that it is because I have a MBA that I have been removed from consideration for a number of Managerial positions.
However; I do believe that eventually the demand for those that know "why" will once again be on the rise. Mine took 847 days to complete. Don't forget to sleep once in a while... I found that one or two days a week will get you by... :D
So.... Study well, and good luck.
:puffy:

scott306

Might Stick Around
Jan 5, 2011
I sadly enough am a furniture delivery/ warehouse manager for a bigger sized furniture franchise. It pays the bills.... barely. Looking at going for a degree after my lovely wife finishes her accounting.Seems the only way to make money these days is to be born into a rich family or get a degree. There's no future for the hard workin' dirty hand man (if you will) , grunt perhaps, anymore. It's all type on a comp, sell but never get dirty type thing that makes money. not to say that's not work, don't hear me wrong. But thing's aren't what they were when I walked into the work force that's a sure thing.Good luck my friend I wish you well. We all reach a point in our life were what we are doing isn't what we want. I was taught a saying as a kid. And I believe it to this day."The rich get richer, and the poorer get poorer".

Happy smoking and sorry if I said anything out of line.It's been a long day. lol :puffy:

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
Spent a large part of my working life as a cook/kitchen manager . Pay sucked and my back is wore out. Stay out of food service!

duncan

Jul 28, 2010
New Jersey
Well you always have the Funeral service. If you can get in with a good place you can learn alot then head to school. Better yet and still in the funeral service, try and find a crematory that needs people. With the Economy the way it is more and more people are getting cremated since it is the least expensive option. The crematory we use does well over a thousand people a year and they are always busy and wishing they had more help.

yoru

Jan 5, 2011
I'm going to school to be a teacher -- though I made that decision not long after the put a cement roof on top suddenly the floor is falling out of the field so now the only way to do is down -- I' just hopin there'll still be a door when it comes my turn to step on in. I can deal with crap pay, I just want a job I can tolerate.
As for yourself, if teaching and RN don't suit you I can't think of anything other than managerial work with a B.A. in -- well there is one for managerial skills but basically any business would do. . .but they don't pay good.
You want to make good money as long as you're willing to take some cut-backs and deal with a boring job? stick where you're at is a generally safe bet. Trucking never seems to go down and stay down for too long, or to fall too far -- but on the other hand every thing that happens didn't happen before it did. . ..
Of course government work always pays decent, and you get off every time a pretty lady sneezes sideways seems like.
Logging is good money too, but dangerous and hard work man.

wolfscout

Can't Leave
Dec 13, 2010
Newberry, SC
skip the BA degree and go to tech for a skill. That is my suggestion after what I've watched the last 15 or 20 years. Yes, A full out college degree is valuable. I have one. But I'd much rather have had a skill related technical degree in something. hell anything. as it is.. my BA does very little when my disability is physical limitations. Disabled and with no current skills worth earning money.

bowhatchie

Sep 27, 2010
I am a Regional Sales manager in the SOUTH... for a veterinary Pharmaceutical company... I have 5 District sales managers that report to me and 61 sales reps that report to them. I have been with the same company for 38 years..went to work for them right out of school..

I started in the branch filling orders.. I have..driven the delivery truck, been an inside phone rep...a branch manager..and for 20 years a territory sales rep... and was a district manager for 5 years,and now Regional manager for 9 years....
My advice would be ..all I know... get into sales and be willing to work your way up the ladder....
If I could do it all over again.... I WOULD MARRY MONEY!

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
LOL Bowhatchie, I think you had the best idea yet ! Too late though..... :)

Some good ideas though.

Scott306, I feel you man. Last job was a couple of years running furniture back from North Mississippi to North Texas. I know what you do for a living, and I hope they treat you guys better than the furniture store I was hauling for!
RN is an interesting proposition, but I hear so many people going into it, I wonder if the market isn't flooded in a few years with new graduates ?
Duncan has an interesting idea, not entirely sure I could stomach it, but tell me more.
Bubba, I want to talk to you some more about what you do to.
I was hoping someone would chime in that works in insurance, claims adjustment, or major claims adjustments (hurricanes, large tornado type stuff)
Thanks everybody, lots of food for thought, keep em coming !

mjtannen

Can't Leave
Jan 3, 2011
I have a BBA and an MBA. I've been an urban community teaching hospital administrator, a clinical practice administrator, a university graduate program director and professor and as I approach retirement in eight weeks I'm a tax examiner with the Internal Revenue Service. Work paid the bills and supported my family for 40 years. I've experienced periods of job uncertainty and fourlough. It all sucked! For sanity, I volunteered with my county police department for 15 years. Yep, blue uniform, patrol vehicle with lights and siren, and a glock on the hip. Best time ever. My advice for job security, great pay, great pension, early retirement, become a cop! Move around outdoors, enjoy the company of best buddies ever and smoke your pipe on the job. Make a late collar and overtime pay is always available. You get peoples attention, you demand respect, and you put bad guys right where they belong. It's a steady job for a good man to keep.

schmitzbitz

Lifer
Jan 13, 2011
Port Coquitlam, B.C.
I spent far too much time getting myself educated (B.Sc., then back for an MBA when I discovered there was no interesting work in my field without a PhD); sure, I make decent money now, but it will take me another ten years to pay off my student loans, assuming I don't bankrupt my company...
If I could do it all over again, I would have gone into a skilled trade straight out of high-school; something transferrable, like HVAC, or heavy diesel mechanic, leaving the option of travel open.

lyst36

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 28, 2011
There is always work in Hospitality but it's never worth it in the end unless you have a passion for it. I considered Law Enforcement for a while but the way the cops here in Atlanta were being treated made me decide it wasn't for me. Learning a trade is something I've always been a fan of.

Status
Not open for further replies.