Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

av8scuba

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 4, 2013
Mid-Missouri
I was at the St. Louis Pipe Show yesterday and a representative from the Scandinavian Tobacco Group was there with several samples of tins and bulk. There were a handful of Captain Black 50g tins that I had not seen before. I asked the rep about them and he said they were a new premium line, and that PipesAndCigars.com would be the exclusive dealer for the next 30 days or so, then other retailers should have them.
Being a latakia smoker, I rather surprisingly enjoyed the Captain Black Black Sea (I believe that is what it was called). I came home and went to P&C to order some, but don't see anything of the sort on their website. I also did some searching online for any information on these new Captain Black premium blends (I believe he said they would only be available in 50g tins) but can't find a word.
Has anyone heard or read about them?
-John :puffy:

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
I know the Captain has its devotees. But I've always found it hot-smoking and flavorless (despite a great room note) and can't understand why anyone smokes it. That said, I would welcome with open arms a step up in quality. If they send me a sample, I will try it. Otherwise, not sure why I would spend money I could otherwise spend with a quality pipe tobacco blender.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
In my early military career days Captain Black was all I could get in the PX. I don't remember it being a particularly pleasant experience. I would give a premium version another shot just for old times sake :)

av8scuba

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 4, 2013
Mid-Missouri
I'll admit that the old Captain Black wouldn't be my first choice by any means, but I thought I would give it a try at the show just because it was something new (and free). I was pleasantly surprised, as it wasn't hot burning and had a good latakia taste (at least this blend). If I remember right, there were a total of 3 or 4 CB premium blends, and some others.
I'll definitely be buying a few tins when it's available. :puffy:

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
The Ol' Capt. isn't that bad ... tastes a lot like 1Q but with more casing.
Furthermore, as much as some bad-mouth it, it was the tobacco of choice

at some of this last year's Slow Smoke Competitions.
I cut my piping teeth on CBW / CH mixed 50/50 and still make that same blend with 1Q now.

rayje589

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2012
This perks my interest. I love captain black regular and I'd be interested in trying a 'premium' blend by them. hopefully P&C puts something about it in tomorrows email.

blendtobac

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
We'll definitely have an upcoming promotion involving the Captain Black premium blends, but we've only received two of the three. Once they're all in, we'll run an email special. BTW, the names are: Midnight Gold, Red Sky and Black Sea (the one containing Latakia).
Russ

Jul 15, 2011
I went the doctor the other day. They found traces of blood in my Captain Black Royal Stream :mrgreen:
No? Damn, it was worth a shot.
Seriously though, the regular and the royal are damn fine smokes, and I have a pouch of the CB Dark that I have yet to try, been waiting for the right pipe to come along. A Captain Black with Latakia sounds A OK by me. Thanks for bringing this to our attention, my eyes are definitely peeled now!

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Obviously the name "Captain Black" means different things to different people. I'm wondering WHY STG would keep the name "Captain Black" for a line of premium blends when it comes with so much negative, low-grade baggage.

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
I do enjoy Captain Black: Dark a few times a month. Honestly I only smoke it because I nick a pouch when I order my Dad his (that's the only blend he smokes right now.)
Russ can you shed some light on what types the other premium blends are?

av8scuba

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 4, 2013
Mid-Missouri
@Russ - thanks for chiming in. I can't wait for the announcement. I was very pleasantly surprised by the tastes of these "premium" blends. I think it will cause quite a stir. I have nothing bad to say about the "original" Captain Black, but I did enjoy these MUCH MORE than the originals.
-John :puffy:

blendtobac

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
Midnight Gold is a blend of Burley, black Cavendish and yellow Virginia with a soft and mellow flavor and a "baked goods" aroma. It's a gentler smoke than most of the Captain Black tobaccos.

Red Sky is a Burley, black Cavendish, flake-cut Virginia blend with a subtle cherry/vanilla note.

Black Sea is made of Burley, Virginia, toasted black Cavendish and Latakia for a smooth, lightly-sweet and smoky blend.
Russ

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
Lane is a contender with non-premium blends good enough to be the cornerstone of many pipesmokers' cellars (1-Q, Captain Black). Their premium blends are sure to be good. I probably will not bother with them though unless offered some in a trade. I find every time I try to get a blend better than 1-Q or Captain Black from them, they always fall short, I feel they are good enough to really be premium blends on their own and that is probably the secret to their success right there.

blendtobac

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
I wouldn't consider Black Sea an aromatic. The black Cavendish is sweetened, but not flavored.
Russ

Status
Not open for further replies.