Status
Not open for further replies.

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
IMG_0370.jpg

Dunhill Shell Briar 3109
IMG_0369.jpg

I was so happy with my Peterson Canadian I couldn't stand not having another pipe of that shape in my rotation. This group 3 size is just right for my favorite cube cut flakes. It may be my imagination but longer shanked pipes like Canadians and lovats seem to have a cooling or drying effect on the smoke. A couple days or more rest between smokes lets the briar in the shank dry and then another great smoke can be enjoyed. The Canadian with its flat oval stem is a natural sitter and that works well for me as I always have things going on in my workshop and need my hands.
Photographing dark stained pipes is always tricky. I try to use natural light and like to use full sun to really bring out the grain of the wood. Filtered sunlight works well also and I think I did a fair job with these shots. The blast is pretty sweet!
Like my Pete Canadian the Dunhill came new with a bowl coating. Also like the Pete I didn't notice any strange flavors even on the first smoke. I cubed up some Mac Baren Mixture Flakes; loaded up the Dunhill and spent the evening enjoying the new pipe while working a project in the shop. It's hard to see the fine detail in my shots but that's where the precision shows most. I still have to smoke some more to form an opinion on how it smoke's but so far I'm thinking fair bet its a keeper.

hfearly

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 11, 2012
Canada
Boo clicked on this thread to say hello to a new fellow Canadian pipe smoker and it's a stupid pipe. Well, I guess I can as well say hello in that case, and congratulations ;-)

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
Boo clicked on this thread to say hello to a new fellow Canadian pipe smoker and it's a stupid pipe.
Ha Ha! Well I'm here in Ohio just 50 miles south of the Lake so I'm almost a Canuk. I always thought you Canadians were OK and now after smoking your pipe design it's confirmed. :)
Thanks for the comments all. I did some research about this famous pipe brand and there is a bunch of interesting history. I came to the conclusion that when buying a Dunhill your money gets you not only a nice pipe but also the mystique and a part of that great pipe heritage that we enjoy so much. That said once I received the pipe and got a close look I found that it is indeed a very nice pipe with a great smoke to match. I've been watching the Dunhill estate market and for just a little more cost than most of the oldies are going for I decided to buy new and enjoy that special part of pipe ownership; breaking in a new one. This will hold me over while I continue to patiently look for that elusive birth year pipe.
Someone posted a thread recently about we being PAD enablers. That is so true! And smokingpipes.com and their weekly newsletter. Seems like they posted that Canadian up just to push my buttons knowing I wouldn't be able to resist.

wildcat

Jan 1, 2012
Very nice! Canadian fan here!! This Dr. Grabow Regal came home to me a few days ago. Nice long, hour plus smoke! Hope you enjoy yours as much as I'm enjoying mine!!

01312012A-59.JPG

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
Wildcat that is an awesome Dr. Grabow Canadian! I dig the birdseye on bowl. Thanks for posting.

wildcat

Jan 1, 2012
Thanks Mike, yours is a beaut for sure!! Funny, two pipes, very similar, yet very different... from opposite ends of the spectrum if you will. Yet both making people happy! The Canadians make for a great smoke , don't they? Enjoy sir!!

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Mike, that is gorgeous. One of the nicest blasts I have ever seen on a Dunhill and I have looked at a ton of them. When I see a pipe like that, I think to my self that is what a pipe should look like. A classic shape in a black sandblast, well done. I hope it is a great smoker for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.