Tags:  No tags yet. 

New Brigham Pipe

(19 posts)
  • Started 1 month ago by calvinsomething
  • Latest reply from ebnash
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

calvinsomething

Login to Send PM

So I bought my first high quality pipe. A 2-dot Brigham was actually my first pipe, and I've bought a few low end ones to create a rotation. This one I just bought is a Brigham Klondike (6-dot) straight billiard (02), but the shop had different colored stems... which I had never seen from Brigham.

Anyway, I was very happy with the purchase, although the stem was very hard to remove and reattach. I figured that was by design. I smoked it this morning and was happy with it...

Let it cool 45 minutes, and tried to remove the stem. It had to struggle. I finally got it off and tried to remove the maple insert. I could not do it. I used pliers and the metal ring on the top came off... I tried to pull the wood out... the end broke off.

So I called Brigham and they told me there had been an issue with some pipes not fitting the stem properly and this could happen. After one smoke I had to send it in to get fixed and eat the shipping charges...

It's a beautiful pipe; I love the grain, but I would not have bought it if I knew I would have had this issue.

Posted 1 month ago #
  2. paulie66scandinavian

Paul

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Nonetheless the grain seems very nice, hope they get it right sooner the better,

Paul The Scandinavian'
    Posted 1 month ago #
  3. olkofri

Olkofri

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Take heart, it (or the replacement) may come in trouble-free and you'll enjoy it a lot.

Hmm, not to be advocatus diaboli, but that pipe looks like one side of the chamber is thinner than the other. Not what I'd expect to see in a high-grade. Or maybe it's distortion in the photo.

Not the sweet, new grass with flowers is this harvesting of mine;
    Not the upland clover bloom...
    Posted 1 month ago #
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

calvinsomething

Login to Send PM

Well, it's shipped, so I'll have to wait until it's back to put a better picture. I'm sure it's just the angle that makes it look that way.

Posted 1 month ago #
  5. seanv

seanv

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Sorry to hear about that. I have many Brigham pipes and love them all. A word of advice is to not press the filter in. Put it in until snug but don't press. Sometimes they do stick a bit but they will come out easier if not pressed.

Posted 1 month ago #
  6. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've always liked the looks and tradition of Brigham, but the inserts have always been a put-off, one more accessory to maintain. In fairness most owners speak well of them. Hope yours is put right.

Posted 1 month ago #
  7. weezell

weezell

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

So I called Brigham and they told me there had been an issue with some pipes not fitting the stem properly and this could happen. After one smoke I had to send it in to get fixed and eat the shipping charges...
    I would be PISSED! Brand new pipe and I pay the shipping to make it right???? I would have lit some ones ass up over that! I know shit happens, but at least make it right by paying shipping for Petes sake...
    PS, I would tell Bringham to kiss my ass on a stunt like that. Have they heard of a thing called the internet? I'd blow their ass up for that. (Just sayin)...

"the weez"...
    Posted 1 month ago #
  8. badlandsjay

badlandsjay

Login to Send PM

My Bringham was rough too. Not like that though. Geez. I love it cause its light. A heavy pipe is uncomfortable sometimes...but those filters are tricky. Between the Carey sleeves, 9mm, Grabow, and Bringham filters, those are the most difficult..

Posted 1 month ago #
  9. alaskanpiper

alaskanpiper

Login to Send PM

Nice. I love the grain in Brigham's Briars. I have a Klondike Canadian on it's way here. Should arrive tomorrow.

"We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that death will tremble to take us." ---Hank

"Yeah, well, you know that's just like, uh, your opinion, man..." --- The Dude
    Posted 1 month ago #
  10. mikethompson

mikethompson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have an older Brigham and it is a great little pipe. Sometimes new pipes have issues regardless of the make. I'm glad its being taken care of though and you can enjoy it.

Posted 1 month ago #
  11. seanv

seanv

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

What is tricky about the filters? Drop them in, smoke, take them out, rinse and repeat
    The key is not to pressure them into the hole. They are designed to slide in.

Posted 1 month ago #
  12. daniel7

daniel7

Login to Send PM

Isn't it possible to use it without that insert? I don't like any type of filters and inserts in my pipes, I prefer everything raw, it gives more taste and requires less maintenance plus it's cheaper. Triple win.

Posted 1 month ago #
  13. mtwaller

mtwaller

Login to Send PM

That’s a shame it doesn’t go together or take down like it should. That’s a fine looking pipe (I’m quite taken with yellow stems!) I hope those issues get resolved, it’s too pretty not to get smoked often.

“There is no excellent beauty that hath not some strangeness in the proportion”.
    Posted 1 month ago #
  14. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Didn't Brigham go with European manufacture recently? Usually Italian or French relocations work out pretty well, since those are pipe making countries. I find the Italian Stanwells uniformly good. But maybe this is the result of a relocation shortfall in quality control. I'd never heard of any q.c. problem with the Canadian pipes. They were a standard of reliability.

Posted 1 month ago #
  15. olkofri

Olkofri

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Isn't it possible to use it without that insert?

Yes, at the cost of a more open draw, which some people seem to actually like/prefer.

Posted 1 month ago #
  16. seanv

seanv

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The higher lines are now made in France while the entry lines are made in Italy.
    You can use the pipe as mentioned without the filter, no issues but a more open draw.

Posted 1 month ago #
  17. daniel7

daniel7

Login to Send PM

More open draw is not an issue, I use some of my 9mm and 6mm pipes as well without adaptor. I don't like any filters but with some pipes you have no choice, only 6mm or 9mm are available - Savinelli for example. But I don't really care, the only minus is that it is a little bit more difficult to clean. During smoking I can't feel the difference.

Posted 1 month ago #
  18. User has not uploaded an avatar

calvinsomething

Login to Send PM

So I guess you can't edit posts here? I was going to add an update to the OP.

Anyway, the pipe is back and the stem was fixed to accept the inserts better. Smokes without issues now. Was sent 2x packs of the distillers as well as a pipe tool and a pipe sock from Brigham.

The bowl is actually off center as someone noted, but the grain makes up for that to me. I'll put a couple more picks up later just because the grain is so cool.

Posted 1 month ago #
  19. ebnash

ebnash

Login to Send PM

Some people buy filtered pipes for smoking Argos because they are gonna be wet, no matter what.

I have multiple Stanwell 11’s, but I only use the filters on my aro dedicated pipe. Also, I always used the Sav. Baslawood type.

Hunt Hard, Kill Swiftly, Waste Nothing, Offer No Apologies...
    Posted 1 month ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   alaskanpiper, jfred, jiminks, jojoc, chasingembers, craig61a, donjgiles, mindglue, jabomano, oldgeezersmoker, mikethompson, greeneyes