PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I picked this Brigham Country Club up today at the pipe show at the B&M. Broke it in with Capstan Blue, a very nice blend. The pipe is incredibly light and the natural finish really shows the fine grain. Also, got 5 tins of C&D that I ordered. All in all a fine day.

lqjones

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 8, 2013
Congrats, beautiful freehand. Does it use that insert and did you use the insert and how does it work? Sorry about the 20 questions but I never have had any experience with those rock maple inserts.

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
That is a great looking pipe!!!
In my opinion, Brigham offers the best filter system on the market. I hhave not notices any affect to the tobacco flavor and it does a great job of eliminating moisture.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
lqjones, yes, it does have the hard rock maple filter. The first thing I did was take it out. I don't like filters of any type. It is a bit strange looking; almost like a wood straw. I like an open draw so no filters for this piper.

It'll be interesting to see how this colors with use.

Dec 24, 2012
Nice grab. I picked up an older Brigham from Pat (Pruss) sometime back and just managed to grab some filters. So I just recently had my first ever smoke in a Brigham. I have to say, that filter system is pretty slick stuff. Had a very dry smoke without losing any of the flavour. I plan to use that pipe for aros. Moreover, I liked it so much I have been on the hunt for a few other older Brighams.

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
Papipeguy, I find Brighams generate a lot of condensation when smokked without the filter. I am with you, and I will remove the filter from any other pipe. But when it comes to Brighams, I strongly suggest using the filter system as that is how the pipe is designed.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
northernneil, 2 bowls so far and no issues. It could be the blends I smoke as I tend to sip lat blends. If things get slurppy I'll try the filter. Thanks for the heads-up.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Congrats on that new Brig! Lovely looking pipe. There are a few guys who have newer Brighams in that shape family in our pipe club, and I agree the weight is amazingly light for what appears to be a big pipe. They also have an awesome hand-feel.
-- Pat

chrisschneck

Lurker
Jul 24, 2013
I own the same pipe shape but in the high contrast finish. It smokes so well I'm considering getting another, possibly the sandblast finish this time. Ive smoked nothing but St James Woods in mine, and something about that pipe just makes it smoke so sweet and perfect. With or without the filter its my favorite pipe, at the moment.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
Great pipe! I've seen this type of shape before and confess I want one too. Does Brigham specialize in this type of horn shape?

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
Sparrow, this is one of their high end pipes they generally focus on more traditional shapes. I bbelieve this is their presidential line. Beautiful pipe Papipe, saw one on smokingpipes . com absolutely love the shape.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Papipe:
That is one gorgeous Brigham and I know it'll smoke well for you. However I've got to throw down with Ross and others on this filter issue.
I've got a couple of vintage Brighams and I love them. They smoke well without the filter - and I do dislike filters - but the smokes I get using those little bitty maple tubes are sublime.
Give those filters a try and you will be surprised. They're a bit fussy - don't reuse one until it's been thoroughly rinsed and dried - and they can be a bit pricey compared to DG and Medico filters. But, more than anything else, they are worth it.
Please let us know what you think.
Fnord

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I'm going to Ocean City, NJ today to visit a friend so I'll be on the deck, watching the waves and smoking the Brigham. I'll take your suggestions and use the filter this weekend and see how it goes. Thanks for the advice.

BTW, it appears that these are now made in Italy and some are marked Made In France. I'm not sure where mine was made since there is no indication on the pipe.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
I'm pretty sure the 4dot and up lines are made in France. The lower end pipes are definitely made in Italy. I believe the presidential line is made in France as well. The Italian pipes are made by Lorenzetti for Brigham.

Status
Not open for further replies.