Status
Not open for further replies.

lasttango

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 29, 2012
Wilmington, De / Ithaca, NY
I had to show this off.

I got it in the mail yesterday.

This morning, I decided it was 3 Oaks Syrian.

This pipe is 6+ inches long. Lightweight. One of the best fit and finishes I have experienced. Smokes beautifully. Very Happy! Thanks rx2man

IMG_7477_zpssltj21sb.jpg
IMG_7485_zps8kxa5cxw.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
It's a special design skill to get a bamboo shank to flow with the briar and stem, and this pipe does that admirably. I bought a Bob Hayes rusticated straight Dublin with a bamboo stem at the pipe show in April precisely because it put the components together so harmoniously. When bamboo works, it really does.

lasttango

Sep 29, 2012
Wilmington, De / Ithaca, NY
I wasn't sure I'd like the bamboo. I like the forum member and I admired his skills. I bought it out of curiosity and because if I hadn't done it then, I may never have tried a bamboo. As it neared it's completion, I grew pretty excited. When it arrived in the mail and I held it, I was so surprised at how delicate, yet sturdy it is. Visually, the pipe has a lot of textures, but overall, the feel is consistently smooth. It's bound to become a favorite... I just know it.

flaneuse

Lurker
Nov 12, 2015
The visual contrast between the bamboo and the grain of the wood is really interesting. It's a lovely pipe.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Very organic looking. I like that. Bamboo on a classic shaped bowl just doesn't look natural to me. That pipe is amazing!

rx2man

May 25, 2012
Thanks all for the kind words. I really enjoyed making that one. Nice grain, good wood overall. Nice piece of bamboo...etc.
"surprised at how delicate, yet sturdy it is"
Bamboo is very strong. Light weight but quite durable. In Asia they use it all over the place. You will see a 30 story building with it on the outside from top to bottom when undergoing repairs. If it came loose it would bend but not break.
I dont know why I like bamboo so much, maybe as I lived in Asia for a time.....Japan and Hong Kong.

Status
Not open for further replies.