PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cwpiperman

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2018
Hey,
In the order I've just received, I've been trying out some of the new blends (new to me):
Chelsea Morning - REALLY, REALLY enjoying this one.
Mississippi River Special Reserve - REALLY great, even better than MR Regular
Jackknife Plug - Not as strong as I expected, this one is tasty but a bit harsh. Going to put in some age and see
Blackpoint - VERY excellent English
Peterson's Irish Flake - Strong, but delicious.
On deck:
Peter Stokkebye Luxury Bullseye Flake
I HAVE noticed, despite the fact that I DO dry my tobaccos a lot more than I think I need to (not crispy, but almost...), and my cadence is VERY slow and sipping in nature, I get a lot more mouth soreness with VaPers and Burley blends than I do with English blends...and I have to be on the lookout for bite. The soreness (not bad, but noticeable) happens as soon as I start a bowl of a vaper or vabur....I of course noticed this with Jackknife plug.
I've smoked these all in briars or a morta....
Wow, this is a lot of fun. Still can't pick apart flavors from different tobaccos, but am sniffing and smoking blending tobaccos to help with that. I find I am not able to detect any form of sweetness, in particular, even from a blend reported to be VERY sweet (I don't smoke any real aros, but I do have some Belmont Station and of course my beloved Black Frigate!
So what do you think, should I give Boswell's Northwoods a shot?
CW

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Being a rather gradual smoker, it happens I've smoked none of these, except PS Bullseye, which is a little edgy before it has some age, to me. I just received a tin of JackKnife loose cut, but I'm giving that some aging. Any comments on your other picks would be of interest. To share a few ideas, I have found a sample of Peterson 3-P's a robust but not over-strong blend; C&D Riverboat Gambler is a good burley blend, but improves with some age before opening; for an extra mild blend Spilman Mixture is good, but takes some getting used to, to pick up on the flavor. A pleasing stronger English in bulk is C&D Stratfordshire, and their Billy Budd and Old Joe Krantz (original) are favorites. I really like PC Chestnut, a tub tobacco with a premium tobacco attitude. Right now, there are so many good blends available, lists go on and on.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Don't worry. After a few months of scorching your mouth, the scar tissue will form and you'll suffer less. LOL
I agree with your assessments, those are excellent blends. I have found that VA tobaccos seem to give off more moisture. I use a pipe cleaner while smoking to dry things out a bit. This keeps the burning down, no steam formed to torch the mouth. Some people though simply are allergic to certain blends. Red VA seems to be a common culprit. Orientals seem to send my mouth zinging if I don't smoke them very slowly.

erhardt85

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 14, 2017
I've tried all of those. I think Chelsea morning in might be my favorite of them. Especially in the English category. I enjoy lbf a lot more than I used to also

foursidedtriangle

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 22, 2018
Do give Northwoods a shot. What made me take notice is the very high quality ingredients in Northwoods, just silky smooth smoke. It grew on me a lot.

techie

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2018
Northwoods, along with some of the other Boswell English blends, is one of my favorites. It is definitely worth a try. I purchased their English Sampler, which was a great deal.

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
If you enjoy Chelsea Morning give Quiet Nights a try. It’s like Chelsea with the gain turned up. I have an indecent amount of both cellared.
Along the same general path is Russ Oullette’s Magnum Opus. Big, complex and masterfully composed.

prairiedruid

Lifer
Jun 30, 2015
Jackknife Plug, as well as Triple Play, needs a couple of years to really meld the flavors and take the harsh edge off. I have some 5 year old Triple play that really sings and once that is finished I have a tin of 5 year old Jackknife Plug to open next.

cwpiperman

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2018
If you enjoy Chelsea Morning give Quiet Nights a try.
Oh, I have. That was one of the first blends I tried when I started pipe smoking about 4 months ago. I have a substantial amount of that lovely blend cellared.
Sounds like I'll be giving Northwoods a shot, and perhaps Opus as well!
CW

foursidedtriangle

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 22, 2018
GLP Englishes are all good just a question of which one appeals to you. I have tried Quiet nights, westminster, chelsea morning, samarra, maltese falcon, meridian. They are a little bit interchangeable, just shades of the same palate. As an example equal parts of quiet nights and chelsea morning will probably taste like westminster.

blackadderlxx

Can't Leave
Jun 17, 2018
Chelsea Morning might very well be my favorite. If I get time for a pipe in the morning this is what I smoke. After said bowl, it's back to trying everything else I can get my hands on, but this is an excellent blend.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Such a wide range of kingdoms of blends -- the Virginias, the Va/Pers and those with dark-fired, English without and with burley, old and new Cavendish based blends, Balkans of various kinds, a keyboard of unique burley blends from C&D, D&R, Peretti, and others. OTC's and tub tobaccos that are as good as "premium" blends, and so much more. To realize any one personal taste, your own, you have to be a studious reader of online tobacco retail pages and paper catalogs to suss out what's good to you, and what's better, and what's best. It makes me admire the old smokers of the 1950's who found a brand they liked and smoked only that.

Status
Not open for further replies.