Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bookn3rd5

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 29, 2012
Hello everyone! Going to be placing an order for new baccy relatively soon - was just curious if there are any blends that you guys/gals would absolutely recommend for someone who is finally starting to branch out and explore the diversity that exists within pipe tobacco! So far I've tried 1Q, Frog Morton, and FMOTT. Loved Frog Morton, 1Q was okay, and haven't really been that fond of FMOTT tbh, but I am going to try giving it a bit more drying time and maybe smoke it in a different pipe. I also have Squadron Leader, AJ's VaPer, and Autumn Evening - just haven't gotten around to smoking them yet.
Anyways, the tobaccos I'll be for sure ordering are Trout Stream, Mississippi River, Deep Hollow, and Grey Havens. I may try Plum Pudding from SPC - haven't really decided on that one for sure yet. Feel free to provide me with whatever feedback you feel might be helpful. I love how helpful and polite everyone has been so far, and if I posted this in the wrong section then I apologize! Thanks in advance!

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Always good to start branching out. Congrats.
It would help us help you if we know who you are ordering from - someone might be aware of an"own line" blend sto suggest.
Trout Stream, Mississippi River, Deep Hollow, and Grey Havens. I may try Plum Pudding

It is also useful to give the company, even if only by abbreviation, as well as the blend name. I know about the last 3, but who is the blender for Trout Stream and Mississippi River? Not all blend names are unique,
As far as suggestions go, I'd hold off on the Plum Pudding. - you may not be ready for it yet. You sound like you are not too sure about latakia. You might want to consider exploring the blends you have on hand more completely before rushing out to buy more.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I would suggest buying representative blends from the various tobacco genres. A good place to start is

LuxuryTobaccoReviews.com, where you will find blends organized by category. Pick some with appealing

descriptions or favorable reviews.

ScreenShotLTR.jpg

bookn3rd5

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 29, 2012
Thanks much for the responses! And sorry about that! Didn't mean to leave the company out - will be ordering from pipesandcigars.com. And I will hold off on the Plum Pudding for now - I realize that the blends I have atm are all relatively mild on latakia, which is fine for now. As time progresses, I'll gradually ease my way into the heavier blends, lol.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I would recommend grabbing a tin of Fribourg & Treyer Cut Virginia Plug which is a really nice VA flake and a tin of Escudo which is a Virginia/Perigue Flake that is the standard for Vapors. If you do go with the CVP, you will want to read up on cube cutting flakes and if you have a pipe that is a group 4-5 that is dedicated to Virginia's that would work best.

bookn3rd5

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 29, 2012
Thanks! Yea I'm really interested in ordering a VA blend - I haven't had any VA's yet and am interested to see if I like them. Are there any others that you'd recommend as a straight VA that you think is definitely worth sampling?
Escudo intrigues me - was considering ordering either that or Anniversary Kake. Have heard greath things about both of those.
So many choices...lol

drrock

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 20, 2011
Minnesota
Whatever you do, don't miss trying McClelland 5100 Red Cake. Rub it out so it's the same size/consistency as the OTC type blends. Pack it loose, puff slowly. Basic sweet Red Virginia.

krgulick

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
I would suggest getting a Middle Earth sampler from Just For Him, they are small samples, but will give you an ides of what they are like.

bookn3rd5

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 29, 2012
I appreciate all of the tips and suggestions you all provided me with! I just submitted my order: Mississippi River, Trout Stream, and McClelland 5100. I decided to go with mainly bulk blends this time to save a bit of money. I will take all of the suggested tobaccos you all provided me with and place it on my to-try list. Thanks again guys!

Status
Not open for further replies.