New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had been seeing these Silver Castle bamboo pipes sell on Ebay for $30-50, and I was intrigued. I had read some of the issues concerning these pipes, but disregarded them for issues concerning the Ebay dealer and not the line of pipes. I emailed the dealer to get more info on the pipes, and found out that they were made by Jack Su's students in a workshop in Canada. His pipes are Huge Stones (HS), and Silver Castle is a side studio. I loved the look, and the price was right. So, I contacted the vendor and just selected a few and purchased outright. I hate bidding. I got a good deal and a great selection of bowl shapes. What I didn't like immediately were the bits. They are a injection molded plastic. They don't have the give of vulcanite, nor the firmness and substantial feeling of acrylic (although I am not an acrylic fan either).

I love bamboo pipes. They give me that Gilligan's Island aesthetic, zen-like, dainty, but yet durable. They all smoked great. At first I was afraid that they would gurgle, but that was just excitement on my part. Once I got into my clench breathe smoking mode, I had no issues. Very dry smokers. But, the bits... I hated them. Too narrow, barely a lip on them, and they just didn't feel right in my clench. But, they are beautiful.

So, I took out some of the bridled vulcanite that I had left over from a few bulldog projects and made new bits.

They have these stainless steel tubes that connect the bamboo to the shank, and the bit to the bamboo. So, I just drilled out the vulcanite and inserted the tube and connected the tube to a stationary rotary tool that I have on my workbench. I then used files to lathe out the basic shape, and then used files with the tube in a vise to shape out the rest of the bit. Then I wet sanded it to a polished surface. I love a taper that rests against the outside of my lips, making a good clench seal. I also require a thin bite with a gentle upswing of the lip. I also like a gentle curve to the profile to better let the bit curve with my teeth. These new bits also have a profile that goes better with the swelling of the bamboo at the knots, so that they look more fluid with linear lines. I think that they've improved the design immensely, plus they feel better in my smoking style. Lightweight, good fit, and ready for smoking while I work at my bench, fully connecting with me as I work. I modeled what I want in a bit on some of my artisan made pipes, Becker more specifically. His bits fit me like a glove.

I have no problems with modifying my pipes. I don't buy pipes with re-selling or value in mind. I want my pipes tossed on my funeral pyre when the day comes. So, value is only in what value the experience that I get with them has. And, I see these as improved. These in specific cost me just a few bucks each, very cheap for pipes, and for a few more bucks and a few more hours, I have pipes that I would rival with Eltang or Growley's bamboo pipes.
I just thought that you guys might be interested. I have made quite a few stems lately, and I have a few more that I will make to better fit me on a few other pipes. The feel and fit are very important to me. I can't stand most of the injection molded pipes that some artisans are using now a days. It's a cheap shortcut in my opinion.
Anyways, I hope you enjoyed...

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Wow Michael! You never cease to amaze me with your creativity and ability! :clap:

antbauers

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 12, 2013
Wow great work. Great prices also!
How did the drilling on these compare to that first one you had, better?
I have to say it was a great choice to model the bit after Becker, one of the best/comfortable stems.

Thanks guys,

I think that the drilling now is much more open than was on those plastic things and the smoke better distributed. They were too narrow and choked the draft.
I've definitely gotten better from even my first, maybe not Becker good, but I will go back change the way my first ones fit and keep the draft open.
Thanks again.

antbauers

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 12, 2013
How about the drilling in the bowl? I remember you mentioned the draft hole on your first silver castle was drilled a little low.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Beautiful work by the students and yourself. To clarify, you made those custom bits w/o a lathe? Just used files and drills and polishing stuff?

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
Yes, that green bit reminds me of Malachite or weathered copper. Very pretty! Cosmic, show us a picture of that pipe!

Status
Not open for further replies.