PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

smokertruck

Can't Leave
Aug 1, 2013
biotene seems to have dumbed down their product claiming its " new PH balance " the triple enzyme system that was their forte is gone - really its just a weaker product with more mint as a mouthwash like any other mouthwash - even burns my mouth my tongue is more leathery - did nothing - bad scene for us now

smokertruck

Can't Leave
Aug 1, 2013
it seems that the triple enzyme system that was the basis for the good one is now gone - also they may make 2 & now my canadian drugstore brought in the dumbed down cheapy version
will check it out tomorrow with them

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
Being retired I'm somewhat cheap by necessity, but I never purchase CVS brands as most (not all of course) of them are a joke. As for the Biotine I purchased a bottle about three months ago with the "New PH balance", which I never really paid much attention to until now, seems to work fine albeit I don't use it all that much.

smokertruck

Can't Leave
Aug 1, 2013
just was on their site - its new & some dont like it - i used it half hour ago - more leathery than before - !!!!
will run out to try to find old ones but when old are gone GOOD BYE BIOTENE - the USA site doesnt accept canadian reviews so they are lucky - it now stinks with a mint " topping " to camouflage the dumbed down new version
the canadian site does not even accept reviews - typical
once you americans try the new stuff if you agree its useless you should write a negative review for them to see it - there is one i saw -

i am really p-ssed - i get bad tongue burn & now its bad news

smokertruck

Can't Leave
Aug 1, 2013
the new bottle has a red band at the top stating new improved PH & the writing in a circle shape in the middle of the bottle states "soothing mouthwash" rather than "triple enzyme system "
i am on a rant cant believe it but my dry leather tongue has INCREASED since i used the new stuff an hour ago.

It's the PH balance that pipe smokers look for in the mouthwash. Most washes rely on sterilization by an alcohol or some other chemical antiseptic which burns a pipe smoker's mouth. But, one that just uses a neutralizer to gently bring the PH level to the middles is what we need.
But, the way I understand it, burley is an almost neutral PH, until the casing is added, which any burley worth smoking will have. Burley is much stronger in Nicotine, but high or neutral in the PH department. Thus, most burleys don't bite. And, the ones that do, is because of the added calories in the casing process or topping. Virginias are acidic (low PH) but high in natural sugar, so the casing is different from a burley. So, Virginias bite more often, because of the acidity, which is what ILOVE. I love the tingle. They are lower in nicotine, but the acids helps it get absorbed into your blood stream. Note that the higher nic blends are blends of Virginias and Kentucky burleys; the acids and the nicotine give you a double whammie. But, this leaves a low PH in your mouth which is what leads to the chemical bite. A regular Virginia smoker eventually doesn't get bite, because our mouths have become more acidic by nature, and we tend to keep to acidic drinks and foods. We tend to skip the milks and cheeses, because that causes a reaction in the way of crappy flavor or a curdling like effect on the tongue.
However, having an acidic mouth is bad for our teeth and gums. So, using Biotene returns the PH balance of our mouths to neutral to relieve our tongues and taste buds, and helps us protect our teeth from rapid decay of an acidic mouth.
I use Biotene as a rinse for two minutes, and then brush with a Sensodye Pronamel to help keep my teeth in good shape twice a day. I keep getting thumbs up from my dentist, so I'll keep doing it.
But, I don't buy generics on stuff like that. And, I haven't noticed a change in the formula or the way it has been working. But, I'll definitely pay attention.

smokertruck

Can't Leave
Aug 1, 2013
the new one is thinner liquidy - just brushed my teeth then tried it again - it burned due to the extra mint they put in it - cant believe it - 1.2 hr now no burn but not much leather tongue relief - anyways i am out today to find as many old biotenes as i can find but what happens when they are finished for now will alternate between the two types.- the new seems to relieve a bit nothing like the old
as for burley - interesting - prince arthur gives me tongue burn even though it is supposed to be pure burley i believe - no carter hall here in toronto that i could find - mac baren burley london blend was easier on me & golden extra is is a burner but no leather tongue

still deciding on solani aged burley but solani tobaccos seem to have more of a nicotine hit.
definilely wont stop piping but will reduce the bowls per day - i do like the relaxing sensation i get when i lite up & watch those smoke curls.
loading up a bowl in my meerqueen with some molto dolce - the h-ll with the biotene people - im sure it was the accountants - like perique & 3 nuns
enjoy the weekend all

msandoval858

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 11, 2012
Austin, TX
That's disappointing. I keep Biotene around around and always found it useful for tongue bite or just a general refresh. I'm a chile head and have been known to beat my taste buds up from time to time with some good spicy Indian food. Biotene always helped with restoring the balance.
Unfortunately "new and improved" usually winds up = cheaper and less effective :(

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
Well, this sucks. Fortunately, we stocked up on some as the wife found a few coupons but I use the stuff daily due to the side effects of some of the meds I am on which causes dry mouth.

Status
Not open for further replies.