PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 6, 2013
United States
Hi everyone!
I used to smoke cigarettes until a pip store opened and I decided to try it ( this month ). I got some Kentucky Select and a plastic pipe and I liked it so I thought Id dig deeper.
I decided to get Velvet tobacco and it just came in today and I was completely blown away by the texture and flavor. Now I should get a new pipe and I was wondering what everyone's input is about getting one on a cheap budget. Under $50. I was thinking about getting a low end Savinelli rustic pipe.
Thanks for reading this and I hope I am welcome here. Be good!

quincy

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 7, 2013
Hey Reality. Welcome aboard!
You can't go wrong with a Savinelli from what I hear, but I just ordered my first one. If you poke around here, and no doubt since you've posted this, people will give you plenty of advice. They've been doing it a lot longer than I have but be prepared for an adventure! I'm trying to quit the nails too and am smoking a pipe to do it. My first recommendation would be to get a few pipes so you don't wear em out quickly! A lot of people are really nailing PipesandGigars.com right now, but they do have a 3 pipe deal for $60 I think. They aren't going to be as nice as a Savinelli, but would at least get you a quick rotation....

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
I got some Kentucky Select and a plastic pipe

You pique my curiosity.

Do you have a photo of the "plastic pipe".

I'd like to see it.

When you say it's plastic, I was wondering if it is actually a Meerschaum, or something like a Medico Brylon pipe.
:puffy:

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
Corn cobs and Prince Albert or Captain Black White for the sweet tooth. Canna go wrong there. Later on go the smoking pipes dot com and see what's on offer! Welcome aboard. Pipes got me off cigarettes. Saved my life it did.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
I second Lawrence's concerns about this plastic pipe.
I do hope it's not a head shop pipe you've bought >.

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
Count me in as one wondering about a "plastic" pipe 8O
And you can't go wrong with a Savinelli. The cheaper ones may have a flaw or two, or not be perfectly drilled, but they're good smokers. I have half a dozen or so of them and none ever disappoint me.
Welcome to the forum and the pipesmoking world. Sit back, buckle up, relax and enjoy the ride.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Welcome aboard.
I'll give you the same advice I give everyone - smoke the best tobacco you can afford in the best pipes you can afford. :puffy:

bludgeoningdeath

Might Stick Around
Feb 28, 2013
Timberville Virginia
@ realityiscandy
I've only been pipe smoking for a couple months myself. I started with two cheap pipes, then bought a Dutch estate pipe, and the other day bought a 70 dollar Savinelli. The Savinelli smokes great. If you were to look for two things look for a bowl where the hole is all the way at the bottom and preferably a thick wall to the bowl. I'm completely happy with mine and it has the balsa wood filtering system. A great smoke!

osuilleabhain

Lurker
Feb 24, 2013
I agree w/ smoking the best tobacco in the best pipes you can afford. Also w/ a few cobs to rotate; why sour a pipe oversmoking it? It's my experience that quality tabac in quality pipes got & kept me off a nasty 30 yr cig habit. The money saved allows for quality. Is that plastic pipe a chinese made Sanda w/ a metal bowl liner from a discount tobacco shop?

Status
Not open for further replies.