PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

blendtobac

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
It's not that you're being ignored, it's the massive low pressure system on the east coast. Makes everyone sluggish.

kanaia

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 3, 2013
Great article. Question for you. When John Rolfe grew tobacco in Jamestown, Va and called it Orinoco why isn't that the first Virginia?

jfox520

Part of the Furniture Now
May 24, 2013
Very informative. I have been trying to learn as much as I can.

blendtobac

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
The tobacco we know as Virginia, being a flue-cured leaf, didn't show up until the early to mid 1800s (I believe it was 1839, but I'm not positive). That would have been a little less than 200 years after John Rolfe's era.
Russ

ciderguy

Can't Leave
May 30, 2013
The wonders of the brightleaf. I really appreciate the dried fig and plum flavors and also the acidity that VAs can bring to a blend. Great article and wonderful pictures!
Could someone recommend a blend or straight VA that really shows off the citrus acidity? I pick up on hints of it here and there, but I'd really like to see what its like full force.

blendtobac

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
I find that yellow Virginias, especially when they're more "fresh", will deliver that sort of flavor. I don't seem to experience as much of that when they're in flake form, as the pressing seems to dull some of the citrus note for me. The acidity will increase with some blends, but it seems to lean more toward a vinegar type of note, rather than the lemony tang.
Russ

Status
Not open for further replies.