Status
Not open for further replies.

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
While at the Richmond Show this year, I went to a table that has a ton of old, beat up, neglected pipes and picked out a few so that I can do some more tutorial videos. All of the pipes that I picked up are older pipes. One them is a Yello-Bole pipe. I grabbed it because I like the shape of the pipe and I was pretty sure that it was quite old.
After I did some research on Yello-Bole pipes, here is a very brief description of what I found out:
The original Yello-Bole pipes are actually Kaywoodie seconds. Kaywoodie started making the Yello-bole line in 1932 as a way to use their briar that didn't meet up to the standards of having the Kaywoodie name on them. When they made the Yello-Bole pipes, they put all of the same stampings on them that they put on Kaywoodie pipes.
Based off of that information and since this pipe has a 4-digit number, I have found out that this pipe was made between 1932-1935. It is over 70 years old and is in very good condition.
Earlier this week I grabbed the Yello-Bole and started messing around with it not really intending on doing a complete clean up on it, but I ended up doing just that, lol. So, this one didn't make it to the video for its close up, but I did take some before and after photos of it and here they are:
Before Photos
YelloB4.jpg

YelloB401.jpg

YelloB402.jpg

YelloB403.jpg

YelloB404.jpg

After Photos
Yello-Bole.jpg

YelloAfter.jpg

YelloAfter03.jpg

YelloAfter01.jpg

YelloAfter02.jpg

Yello-Bole01.jpg

Yello-Bole02.jpg

This restoration was done completely by hand with no machines used (other than myself because I am a machine, lol).
----------
I promise that I will use the other 4 pipes that I bought in videos :), specifically "How to Ream Your Pipe" and maybe a restoration without machines videos.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Very impressive clean-up rescue Bob. That bowl chamber looked hopeless, but now it needs another break-in! And the work on the stem is 1st class. Nice job! This little project goes a long way toward encouraging newbies to pick up nice used pipes to build a rotation even though they're just starting out.

ernest

Can't Leave
Aug 31, 2010
What a difference.Man against machine.Man came out just fine on this one.
Nice Restoration!!

chuckw

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 7, 2009
Nice work Bob. A little steam may have lifted the dings in the rim.

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
Looks great ! As Chuck said often minor ash tray beating dings will come out with a bit of steam.

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
This restoration was done completely by hand with no machines used (other than myself because I am a machine, lol).
So you're the master of the hand job?...LOL

Nice job on it....does that make for a total of 200+ pipes for you now?

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
I place a damp cloth over the dings and apply a hot iron to the cloth for a few seconds. Sometimes it takes two or three attempts to raise the dents. If the fibers aren't broken , just mashed together it usually works.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Very impressive clean-up rescue Bob. That bowl chamber looked hopeless, but now it needs another break-in! And the work on the stem is 1st class. Nice job! This little project goes a long way toward encouraging newbies to pick up nice used pipes to build a rotation even though they're just starting out.
Is there an echo in here?
Great job Bob!

I gotta start searching the antique shops around here.

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
Onizuka , that is for the dings in the wood. Often you can raise dents in the vulcanite stems by heating the stem up. I use the front burner on my electric stove, and hold the stem above the heat. Any heat source works but caution is required. Burning stems stink!

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
Thanks for the kind words guys!
Cortez Said: This little project goes a long way toward encouraging newbies to pick up nice used pipes to build a rotation even though they're just starting out.
I agree. That is why I did it all by hand to show everyone that they don't need a buffing wheel, etc to clean up estate pipes. This Yello-Bole only cost me $5.60US and with a little elbow grease, cleaned up nicely. You can build a decent rotation for not much money this way.
Chuck and Uncle, thanks for the tip on getting the bowl dings out. I just did a major clean up on it and when I get some time I will try to get them out.
Unclearthur Said: Often you can raise dents in the vulcanite stems by heating the stem up. I use the front burner on my electric stove, and hold the stem above the heat.
I will have to give that a try to remove the small tooth marks in the stem.

menckenite

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 21, 2010
Alabama
Very well done Bob. Cortez's words ring true, this encourages me to buy some old fixer uppers that I would otherwise thought would require special tools and such to get one in smoking order.

scratchglfr

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 29, 2010
Very nice work Bob. I was tinkering with the idea of buying a pre drilled, and stem fitted block of briar to carve a pipe. But being new to this hobbie I think I should start out with a few restorations first.

Status
Not open for further replies.